• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foods which are not bad for you - list em

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At my old gym, there was a nutrition poster which listed how much moderation you should observe for many different kinds of foods. I remember what it said for tuna packed in water - no moderation necessary at all. Meaning it was so "non-harmful" that you could eat 2 cans a day for the rest of your life and have no predictable bad consequences. I was trying to think of other foods like this.

many vegetables, of course (but interestingly, not all)
mustard
vinegar?
Pickles?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
At my old gym, there was a nutrition poster which listed how much moderation you should observe for many different kinds of foods. I remember what it said for tuna packed in water - no moderation necessary at all. Meaning it was so "non-harmful" that you could eat 2 cans a day for the rest of your life and have no predictable bad consequences. I was trying to think of other foods like this.

many vegetables, of course (but interestingly, not all)
mustard
vinegar?
Pickles?

That's an odd list... why is vinegar there? Who drinks pure vinegar? Mustard is hardly a superfood, and pickles (I hate pickles) might have a lot of sodium and could raise your body's pH levels.

You could probably live off a diet of eggs, carrots, brocolli and brussel sprouts forever - but why would you want to?

While it's more true for salmon and other ***** fish, eating two cans of tuna/day you might be exposing yourself to a lot of heavy metal.

Moderate everything... even water (see: Wee for a Wii).

Oh, and calories are calories... regardless of where they come from. Look at how fat cows, and pandas are... and they're vegitarians.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm I guess what Im getting at is that some foods are terrible, some are neutral, even though they taste good. For example a sandwich slathered in mayo, thats bad. But slathered in mustard? I can't think of any negatives to mustard. hehe sorry I guess this topic is lame.
spam[1].gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I think there's something to this (although I agree that tuna doesn't belong on the list, due to mercury concerns, etc.)
Back in the day, I changed my eating and exercise habits and lost a good deal of weight. For me, part of the dietary part was finding stuff I liked that I could eat "safely", so I wouldn't feel like I was starving or depriving myself. If I had a plate of "free" appetizers 10-15 minutes before dinner - pickles, onion slices, peppercini, those hot spicy Mexican carrots, etc. - I'd be far less hungry at dinner and would eat more moderately. This was especially helpful if I were going out to dinner or for drinks, since it would reduce the urge to eat crap at the bar/restaurant. As the OP observes, if a dry turkey sandwich (or a burger or whatever) doesn't do it for you, one slathered in good mustard rather than mayo just might. For a dessert while watching tv or whatever at night, I'd eat my way through a bag of frozen stawberries. For many people, real health/weight loss progress can be made simply by making different food choices even if you aren't really reducing the amount of food you eat.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, here is the secret. Eat rice, not bread. Actually, stay away from baked goods as much as possible. A single piece of bread has something like 200 calories. So sandwich is 400 calories without any fillings. A full bowl of rice is something like 100 calories - and that is a pretty filling bowl. That is how Asians eat vast quantities and stay relatively slim.

Um, or just exercise lots (plenty of cardio) and commute by foot as much as possible.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Okay, here is the secret. Eat rice, not bread. Actually, stay away from baked goods as much as possible. A single piece of bread has something like 200 calories. So sandwich is 400 calories without any fillings. A full bowl of rice is something like 100 calories - and that is a pretty filling bowl. That is how Asians eat vast quantities and stay relatively slim.

Um, or just exercise lots (plenty of cardio) and commute by foot as much as possible.

Mix some chopped peppercinis into that rice, slather some mustard on top, adn you're good to go!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, slap a pickle on there while you are at it. and malt vinegar

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kimchi on rice then?
smile.gif

Kimchi on rice + with 1-2 eggs sunny side up + some pepper + soy sauce = good meal for cheap.

teflondog

Reaction score

I think it would also be best if that rice was whole grain. White rice is full of "empty" calories, which provide no significant benefits like brown rice does (fiber).

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teflondog
I think it would also be best if that rice was whole grain. White rice is full of "empty" calories, which provide no significant benefits like brown rice does (fiber).

A couple of billion people are living on white rice, it must be good for something.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
"Empty'" calories can be a good thing... could be considered low density food. Fills you up (takes up space) but doesn't pack a lot of calories by volume. Mixing 2 parts white rice with 1 part brown rice is a good compromise (helps if you soak the rice for a few hours before cooking).

Eggs yolks are way high in cholesterol, so they're not good for everyone.

Fruits and veggies are good but likely to be contaminated with pesticides, some more than others (I know apples are high on the list).

There is no perfect food, but eating a broad mix of imperfect foods is perfectly fine for most people.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
A couple of billion people are living on white rice, it must be good for something.

this is true. But you could argue all of europe is surviving on bread or pasta, and they arent overweight either. Must be something else. Maybe the 5 cans of coke I had today? lol

AdamG

Reaction score
It's not about what food but what quantity.

gyea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AdamG
It's not about what food but what quantity.

i agree, its about quantity. then again, brown rice is better than white, and multigrain bread is better than white bread.

good foods:

plain oatmeal
tuna
fruits
veggies
fish
lean meats
cottage cheese
protein shakes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads