1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Foods which are not bad for you - list em

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Tarmac, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

At my old gym, there was a nutrition poster which listed how much moderation you should observe for many different kinds of foods. I remember what it said for tuna packed in water - no moderation necessary at all. Meaning it was so "non-harmful" that you could eat 2 cans a day for the rest of your life and have no predictable bad consequences. I was trying to think of other foods like this.

many vegetables, of course (but interestingly, not all)
    mustard
    vinegar?
    Pickles?

2. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

At my old gym, there was a nutrition poster which listed how much moderation you should observe for many different kinds of foods. I remember what it said for tuna packed in water - no moderation necessary at all. Meaning it was so "non-harmful" that you could eat 2 cans a day for the rest of your life and have no predictable bad consequences. I was trying to think of other foods like this.

many vegetables, of course (but interestingly, not all)
    mustard
    vinegar?
    Pickles?

That's an odd list... why is vinegar there? Who drinks pure vinegar? Mustard is hardly a superfood, and pickles (I hate pickles) might have a lot of sodium and could raise your body's pH levels.

You could probably live off a diet of eggs, carrots, brocolli and brussel sprouts forever - but why would you want to?

While it's more true for salmon and other fatty fish, eating two cans of tuna/day you might be exposing yourself to a lot of heavy metal.

Moderate everything... even water (see: Wee for a Wii).

Oh, and calories are calories... regardless of where they come from. Look at how fat cows, and pandas are... and they're vegitarians.

3. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

hmm I guess what Im getting at is that some foods are terrible, some are neutral, even though they taste good. For example a sandwich slathered in mayo, thats bad. But slathered in mustard? I can't think of any negatives to mustard. hehe sorry I guess this topic is lame. [​IMG]

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think there's something to this (although I agree that tuna doesn't belong on the list, due to mercury concerns, etc.)
    Back in the day, I changed my eating and exercise habits and lost a good deal of weight. For me, part of the dietary part was finding stuff I liked that I could eat "safely", so I wouldn't feel like I was starving or depriving myself. If I had a plate of "free" appetizers 10-15 minutes before dinner - pickles, onion slices, peppercini, those hot spicy Mexican carrots, etc. - I'd be far less hungry at dinner and would eat more moderately. This was especially helpful if I were going out to dinner or for drinks, since it would reduce the urge to eat crap at the bar/restaurant. As the OP observes, if a dry turkey sandwich (or a burger or whatever) doesn't do it for you, one slathered in good mustard rather than mayo just might. For a dessert while watching tv or whatever at night, I'd eat my way through a bag of frozen stawberries. For many people, real health/weight loss progress can be made simply by making different food choices even if you aren't really reducing the amount of food you eat.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Okay, here is the secret. Eat rice, not bread. Actually, stay away from baked goods as much as possible. A single piece of bread has something like 200 calories. So sandwich is 400 calories without any fillings. A full bowl of rice is something like 100 calories - and that is a pretty filling bowl. That is how Asians eat vast quantities and stay relatively slim.

Um, or just exercise lots (plenty of cardio) and commute by foot as much as possible.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Okay, here is the secret. Eat rice, not bread. Actually, stay away from baked goods as much as possible. A single piece of bread has something like 200 calories. So sandwich is 400 calories without any fillings. A full bowl of rice is something like 100 calories - and that is a pretty filling bowl. That is how Asians eat vast quantities and stay relatively slim.

Um, or just exercise lots (plenty of cardio) and commute by foot as much as possible.

Mix some chopped peppercinis into that rice, slather some mustard on top, adn you're good to go!

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

lol, slap a pickle on there while you are at it. and malt vinegar

8. LA Guy

lol, slap a pickle on there while you are at it. and malt vinegar

Kimchi on rice then? [​IMG]

9. DNW

DNW Senior member

Kimchi on rice then? [​IMG]

Kimchi on rice + with 1-2 eggs sunny side up + some pepper + soy sauce = good meal for cheap.

10. teflondog

teflondog Member

I think it would also be best if that rice was whole grain. White rice is full of "empty" calories, which provide no significant benefits like brown rice does (fiber).

11. DNW

DNW Senior member

I think it would also be best if that rice was whole grain. White rice is full of "empty" calories, which provide no significant benefits like brown rice does (fiber).

A couple of billion people are living on white rice, it must be good for something.

12. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

"Empty'" calories can be a good thing... could be considered low density food. Fills you up (takes up space) but doesn't pack a lot of calories by volume. Mixing 2 parts white rice with 1 part brown rice is a good compromise (helps if you soak the rice for a few hours before cooking).

Eggs yolks are way high in cholesterol, so they're not good for everyone.

Fruits and veggies are good but likely to be contaminated with pesticides, some more than others (I know apples are high on the list).

There is no perfect food, but eating a broad mix of imperfect foods is perfectly fine for most people.

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

A couple of billion people are living on white rice, it must be good for something.

this is true. But you could argue all of europe is surviving on bread or pasta, and they arent overweight either. Must be something else. Maybe the 5 cans of coke I had today? lol

14. AdamG

AdamG Senior member

It's not about what food but what quantity.

15. gyea

gyea Well-Known Member

It's not about what food but what quantity.

i agree, its about quantity. then again, brown rice is better than white, and multigrain bread is better than white bread.

good foods:

plain oatmeal
    tuna
    fruits
    veggies
    fish
    lean meats
    cottage cheese
    protein shakes

16. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

17. Jared

Jared Senior member

All food must be organic (no fish [​IMG]). And fair-trade if you don't want them to be bad for other people. All browning during cooking causes carcinogens, so only boil or steam. Mustard contains goitrogens, which interfer with thyroid functioning. And don't eat anything that's grown in soil, because it might have e coli.

18. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

I'm not sure what kind of bread you eat, but the normal store bought, whole wheat bread has 90 calories a piece. A half cup of long grain, white rice has about 102 calories.

19. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

20. LA Guy

I'm not sure what kind of bread you eat, but the normal store bought, whole wheat bread has 90 calories a piece. A half cup of long grain, white rice has about 102 calories.

I was talking about the thick sliced "Country style?" white bread I get from Pepperridge Farms. And remember that even with he whole wheat bread, that is for 1 slice!. Make yourself one single sandwich, and you are up to 10 calories already, not including filling. Conversely, a cup and a half of rice is enough for a family of three (I grew up in a family with 4 brothers, and 3 cups was the norm.) A cup of rice makes a lot of cooked rice.