• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying First/Business Class on your own dime

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have paid. For leg room only. Unless you're flying an asian carrier, the food and other things really aren't that special.

Isolation from everyone is nice. Not that everyone that flies is a barbarian, but flying these days is becoming increasingly more barbaric. The line ups and the fanny packs, the sweating and the constant smell of someone's colon in economy is enough for me to part with quite a bit of money if I don't have enough points. These days I don't fly nearly as much as I used to, and have not been using a miles card (which is absolutely idiotic), so I will be paying for most of my hops. To LA and NYC it's easy to get business for a reasonable sum.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I've used a "business only" airline for personal transatlantic flights twice. It was about twice the price of a coach seat but with two babies on our lap, having more space and fully reclining seats was the right thing to do.
2x coach is pretty cheap for business class, isn't it? I haven't priced it in years, but I thought most were a lot more than that. I'll have to suggest it to people flying over there.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Have paid. For leg room only. Unless you're flying an asian carrier, the food and other things really aren't that special.

Isolation from everyone is nice. Not that everyone that flies is a barbarian, but flying these days is becoming increasingly more barbaric. The line ups and the fanny packs, the sweating and the constant smell of someone's colon in economy is enough for me to part with quite a bit of money if I don't have enough points. These days I don't fly nearly as much as I used to, and have not been using a miles card (which is absolutely idiotic), so I will be paying for most of my hops. To LA and NYC it's easy to get business for a reasonable sum.

eh.gif

I sure hope you mean cologne, or things have gotten much worse since the last time I flew coach...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
2x coach is pretty cheap for business class, isn't it? I haven't priced it in years, but I thought most were a lot more than that. I'll have to suggest it to people flying over there.

Yes - pricing is not bad at all - may be a little higher than 2x, maybe 2.5x. The whole experience feels obviously less "exclusive" than flying in a multi-cabin plane but the comfort and service is very similar to an average US or Euro airline in business class.

Mblova

Reaction score
I wish I could afford flying business. At 6'2, it's tough being seated in coach, especially when people recline the seats. I've had to endure 13hour nonstop flights in this manner and did not get 1 single hour of sleep.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fly transcons 1-3x per mo - LA/SF - NYC. It costs me 15k miles with United as a 1K, totally worth it. I get work done, feel refreshed and ready to go.

dbc

Reaction score
Perhaps an occasional upgrade to business on frequent flier miles now and then, but not when my carrier of choice is Singapore Airlines and Business/Suites is insanely priced. For me anyway.

blackjack

Reaction score
I recall reading obnoxious-sounding advice in an article from one of those "Tony Robbins-type"/Amway gurus how they always fly first-class on their personal account... how they meet the movers & shakers and end up doing deals that more than justify the exorbitant cost. Sounds like screwed-up bullshit reasoning to me - and pleasantly surprised to see no one has posted it on this thread (yet).

Accident reports seem to indicate the back of the plane being statistically safer than the front in the event of a crash. However, not according to this photo:
firstclass.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackjack
I recall reading obnoxious-sounding advice in an article from one of those "Tony Robbins-type"/Amway gurus how they always fly first-class on their personal account... how they meet the movers & shakers and end up doing deals that more than justify the exorbitant cost. Sounds like screwed-up bullshit reasoning to me - and pleasantly surprised to see no one has posted it on this thread (yet).
When I elect to fly in the front cabin ... it's not to meet people ... it's for the space and, hopefully, the peace and quiet.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
tough luck, RSS, because there are people there who want to meet you...
That's when I pretend not to speak English and/or put on the sleep mask.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a first class ticket on one leg of a flight to chicago next week because 1) it was the time I needed (no other seats for sale in coach) and 2) it was only $50 more than coach (if I had taken an earlier flight).

This was a business ticket, but given the same scenario on a personal ticket, I might consider buying the first class ticket.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rich_202
nah...I think he meant colon. Ever flown Air Canada?

Actually, last time I flew AC, it was a trans-atlantic flight, and I remember how impressed I was with the clean and modern interior, touch-screen media centre, etc.
No colon smell that I can recall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads