Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Flying First/Business Class on your own dime

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by musicguy, Jun 2, 2010.

1. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

First class is so ridiculously expensive that I can't really see myself paying for it anytime soon. The only time I've flown "first class" was on Spirit Airlines, just because they were the same price as coach seats when I bought the ticket. But Spirit sucks so I won't be flying with them again.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I've used a "business only" airline for personal transatlantic flights twice. It was about twice the price of a coach seat but with two babies on our lap, having more space and fully reclining seats was the right thing to do.

3. otc

otc Senior member

We bought a first class leg on the way home from spring break for my roommate one year.

We got screwed by the tour company and he had to fly in a day later so he could take a final (tour company switched dates on us). This meant *also* canceling and rebooking his return ticket even though he was on the same flight. It worked out that his new departure ticket was cheaper as coach but his return ticket was cheaper if you went business on both legs. He took it on the long leg and I took it on the short leg [​IMG] (we had all split the extra price...and he was lonely up in front).

4. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I privately fly business when taking cheap ass airlines to vacation. AirBerlin has business class for appr. twice the price of economy, that's worth it when flying 9 hours. It's nothing fancy but I don't need the food, entertainment or booze, all that I care for is the increased seat space so I can sleep better and arrive relaxed.

No way I'd pay business or first with a company like Lufthansa on my own, that's reserved for the company.

5. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

I guess this is one of the few good advantages of being short -- I could never justify paying twice as much to fly in business class, I'd rather just take twice as many vacations.

6. gdl203

I guess this is one of the few good advantages of being short -- I could never justify paying twice as much to fly in business class, I'd rather just take twice as many vacations.

That's a false dichotomy

7. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

I've used a "business only" airline for personal transatlantic flights twice. It was about twice the price of a coach seat but with two babies on our lap, having more space and fully reclining seats was the right thing to do.

Was this MaxJet or OpenSkies, by any chance? I wasn't too impressed with MaxJet.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i upgrade to first or business using miles and i've got to say that while there was a huge difference when i started doing it 10-15 years ago, there really isn't nearly as much now. i remember flying to europe on one of those reclining seat jobs where you actually go horizontal to sleep ... and they bring you bottomless Champagne (real) to help you achieve horizontality. now you're lucky to get a little more leg room and a coke. plus, i fly jetblue most often now and for an extra $10 to $20, i can upgrade to exit seats that have as much legroom as most standard airlines business class.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

My girlfriend does it, and straight cash, and I'm really not sure what kind of money she has (but she obviously has some)... she comes back from her trips talking about the champagne and sushi being low-rung, and I'm usually sweaty and sticky after a long day of work. She's back on Monday after a trip and I expect the same, the Veuve Clicquot and sushi bento on JAL will not be up to her standards.

10. gdl203

Was this MaxJet or OpenSkies, by any chance? I wasn't too impressed with MaxJet.

OpenSkies / L'Avion. Flew once operated by OS and once by L'Avion. Very nice and competent service on board, awful ground service and BA does a sh1tty job supporting their subsidiary when something goes wrong. See my xmas travel post 6 months ago.

11. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

With companion airfare like Amex offers, I've seen the price come close to the same as two coach seats.

I've paid to upgrade after particularly brutal weeks.

12. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Lufthansa is also one of the few airlines that are not bankrupt, coincidence?

because the German government props them up [​IMG]

13. Stokely

Stokely Senior member

If you get it for free....sure.

If you pay for it...........well...............then. I just don't know.

Kind of like women.

14. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

because the German government props them up [​IMG]

orly?
    and how would they do that without breaking EU competition laws?
    While I don't really care either way, why don't you support your claims with something more substantial than a [​IMG]

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I have for cross country domestic flights, but not international.