• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly fishing

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Miramichi River, New Brunswick
I will look for some summer pics from there.

Probably going in July next year, will give you details.

Do you fish two handed rods?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Miramichi is pretty legendary.

No to spey. At least not yet. Still have too many small streams to explore. If anything, I'm finding that I want to scale down to 1 or 2wt and get lost up a tiny tributary in the mountains.

I also like to get away from people. I'm worried that opening day in Roscoe looks like this:

lefty

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer on the Miramichi

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just killing me. How are you fishing for the salmon? Swinging? What kind of drift do you get on that quiet water in the first shot?

Kid, smart to edit that last post. Take a look at CW's post, follow his advice and become a forum affiliate. That will help your store. Or for ***** and giggles post the video on The Drake. Fun to get their opinion.

lefty

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes swinging. That's in front of the lodge and we are taking the boat up to this pool

Some of my shots are a bit deceiving of how fast the water is moving.

Summer on top
Fall on bottom

classicgrey

Reaction score

Just killing me. How are you fishing for the salmon? Swinging? What kind of drift do you get on that quiet water in the first shot?

Kid, smart to edit that last post. Take a look at CW's post, follow his advice and become a forum affiliate. That will help your store. Or for ***** and giggles post the video on The Drake. Fun to get their opinion.

lefty 

Is their forum down? It's giving my an error when I try to open forum topics.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread and it's pics are making me regret living in the Netherlands more and more.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Summer on top
Fall on bottom

Looks like you do a lot of waking in the summer. Do you fish tube flies or intruders for Atlantics ever? I see a few in your fall box, but only a few.

Last edited:

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you have to get on a plane, but Slovenia? Pretty close to going there.

Mix in a little Italy with a little FF.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Miramichi is pretty legendary.

No to spey. At least not yet. Still have too many small streams to explore. If anything, I'm finding that I want to scale down to 1 or 2wt and get lost up a tiny tributary in the mountains.

I also like to get away from people. I'm worried that opening day in Roscoe looks like this:

lefty

Yes that picture reminds me of the Beaverkill, and also Catherines Creek out of Lake Seneca opening day, ugly.

Lefty get a Pa. license and get out of NY. Stay on 17 and drive past Roscoe. About an hour West of Roscoe head South on 220. Pretty good freestone fishing starting at the Schrader and down to the big and little Sock (loyalsock). It should be about 2 hours from Roscoe and you will be in pretty decent fishing. Even though it is called the Endless Mountains region they are under 5000 feet so they are not really mountains, but they do seem to be getting steeper the older I get. West of there the fishing gets even better. Although Slate Run is hard hit once it got famous and Orvis put a shop in on the lower end. There are more little streams in those mountains than you could ever fish and many are not well known, you likely will not see anyone on most of them.

I spent a year on recruiting duty down in Lancaster, Pa. in the mid 80's. Went there kicking and screaming but found out it wasn't so bad after all, but no ruffled grouse for the dog to chase there. Plenty of those Chinese invading ditch chickens (phez) back then however. The Letort, Big Springs where Gary Borger grew up fishing, and numerous other limestone creeks. Got to know Bob Clouser (Clouser minnow) pretty well and he turned me on to several places and a couple of flies that are extremely effective around there. And elsewhere.

The best mountain stream fishing for a 1 or 2 weight that I have ever experienced is in the mountains of Western NC. We can fly fish some limestone trout streams in SE Mn. in the winter but it gets pretty damn cold. Down to 20 below and colder but it is a "dry" cold LOL. Chipping ice out of the guides and your line freezing solid when the trout can hardly move gets old quick. I've seen 60 degree days in Feb. in Western NC when I lived there and that may have something to do with my bias however.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is their forum down? It's giving my an error when I try to open forum topics.

I was kidding. They will eviscerate you on that board.

Looks like you do a lot of waking in the summer. Do you fish tube flies or intruders for Atlantics ever? I see a few in your fall box, but only a few.

Did I see that you were posting on the spey pages? What rivers are you fishing?

I know you have to get on a plane, but Slovenia? Pretty close to going there.
Mix in a little Italy with a little FF.

The Soca? Looks like the most beautiful river in the world.

Yes that picture reminds me of the Beaverkill, and also Catherines Creek out of Lake Seneca opening day, ugly.

Lefty get a Pa. license and get out of NY. Stay on 17 and drive past Roscoe. About an hour West of Roscoe head South on 220. Pretty good freestone fishing starting at the Schrader and down to the big and little Sock (loyalsock). It should be about 2 hours from Roscoe and you will be in pretty decent fishing. Even though it is called the Endless Mountains region they are under 5000 feet so they are not really mountains, but they do seem to be getting steeper the older I get. West of there the fishing gets even better. Although Slate Run is hard hit once it got famous and Orvis put a shop in on the lower end. There are more little streams in those mountains than you could ever fish and many are not well known, you likely will not see anyone on most of them.

I spent a year on recruiting duty down in Lancaster, Pa. in the mid 80's. Went there kicking and screaming but found out it wasn't so bad after all, but no ruffled grouse for the dog to chase there. Plenty of those Chinese invading ditch chickens (phez) back then however. The Letort, Big Springs where Gary Borger grew up fishing, and numerous other limestone creeks. Got to know Bob Clouser (Clouser minnow) pretty well and he turned me on to several places and a couple of flies that are extremely effective around there. And elsewhere.

The best mountain stream fishing for a 1 or 2 weight that I have ever experienced is in the mountains of Western NC. We can fly fish some limestone trout streams in SE Mn. in the winter but it gets pretty damn cold. Down to 20 below and colder but it is a "dry" cold LOL. Chipping ice out of the guides and your line freezing solid when the trout can hardly move gets old quick. I've seen 60 degree days in Feb. in Western NC when I lived there and that may have something to do with my bias however.

Thanks for all that. Will follow it this spring. Also can't wait to get back to NC. Had a great day just outside of Asheville about a month ago.

lefty

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did I see that you were posting on the spey pages? What rivers are you fishing?

Lefty,

Yes, There...and Westfly, SkagitMaster, Washington FlyFishing and occasionally on North American Fly Fishing Forum. Usually under a different username (MacSuibhne), however.

I'm just about to turn 67 and I've been flyfishing since I was about 13.

I fish the "D" (Deschutes)--my "home" water, the N. Umpqua, N. Santiam and I used to fish the Rogue...planning to do that again next year. Also planning to get out on the Sandy and the Clackamas in March and April.

I don't willingly fish for trout. Not unwilling either, just that chromes are the bigger challenge.

I thought I read that you were a SH guy...liking small streams and lightweight rigs. What are you doing on SpeyPages if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads