1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fly fishing

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Jul 26, 2010.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Pretty spot, but yeah that water seems low.

lefty

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah, all the catchable fish were in the runs and riffles where the oxygen and cooler water is. There were fish in the flat water too but impossible to catch them, put a wulff, nymph, emerger and para adams over one 10 times each but couldn't elicit a rise. We've unfortunately had an extremely hot run of about 4 weeks straight of high temps (90-100F) and zero rain. So hopefully it will improve a little soon.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Well, it's freezing here and I've been on my ass for four days with the flu, so your "couple of fish" weekend sounds pretty nice.

Congratulations on the upcoming family addition.

lefty

4. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

5. Henry Carter

Thanks Lefty, exciting times ahead.

And don't worry, give it 4-5 months and i'll be the one whinging about how cold it is.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

The famed McCloud River - Enough is Enough.

lefty

8. Crat

Crat Senior member

I'd been looking into getting some decent waterproof, breathable fishing boots that also looked the part for a while.
    Eventually I pulled the trigger on these White's Outdoorsmen with a Hill-tex liner.
    These things are built like a tank.
    Though I can't comment on how they will hold as I've only just got them up I'd be very surprised if they would give up on me prematurely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

The uppers may be waterproof but if you repeatedly and deliberately get these wet, I suspect other parts of the boot such as the insole and heel stiffener and so forth will start to deteriorate. Also as they get wet they'll get heavier.

They're a nice looking work/outdoor boot but if you're going to wade or fish seriously you might want to look into waders and real wading boots simply because they are engineered for total immersion for long periods of time, days at a time and may also have special outsoles to make staying upright on slippery rock and ledges more likely. It could save your life.

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

Not sure what you want those for. Hiking I guess, but one little slip while you're ankle deep and you're wet wading with a boot that will not drain or dry out for a week or so.

lefty

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  11. Crat

Crat Senior member

Thanks for the usefull input DWFII.
    I was looking for something that was waterproof rather than just water repellent (like a veldtschoen). These will be used for long hikes where I have to cross the occasional brook or wade into a loch a little to push a rowing boat in. I don't plan to keep these submerged for long periods of time regularly or to use them as substitues for waders.
    That being said this silicone tanned leather has proved to be extremely resilient up to now and absorbs hardly any water, even when being submerged.

I know water and leather aren't a match made in heaven but as far as that match goes I doubt it gets much better than this.

I'd better not slip then, lefty

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Now why didn't I think of that?

NYC area anglers may be interested in this:

Quote:
    I may be going on Saturday if someone wants a ride from the city.

lefty

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I LOVE JINDABYNE!

Actually I love all parts of the bush, even the really out there parts (way past Dubbo) that are really only the start. I thought there is a great poetic beauty to the Nullabor.

14. Henry Carter

Yeah it's a nice spot isn't it. I'm about an hour and a half drive from Jindabyne, but I'd move there in an instant if my wife would let us and I could make a living out there. Lots of great streams nearby and while I'm not much of a lake fisherman the lake can have some fantastic polaroiding through winter around the edges. The mountains are beautiful once they fill up with snow too.

I'm from Parkes, which is not too far away from Dubbo so I grew up around that area, but yeah there is a lot of bush to go around in Oz. I think like most Australians that are from the bush but spend more time in cities, my heart is in the country for sure.

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Yep. I've got (distant) cousins who live out in Wanaaring (way past Bourke) and went to see them on their property. Anyway, one of my cousins went off to Uni in the city, then in the U.S. but returned to work outside of Alice Springs.

16. lefty

lefty Senior member

Spring is coming.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  17. lefty

lefty Senior member

90-year-old cat throws a beautiful loop.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  18. Henry Carter

I'll be happy if I can roll cast downstream still when I'm 90. This blokes a legend.

I silently fear the day though that I may need a wading staff as the day I'm officially an old man. But at 33 and pretty fit it should be a ways off yet.

19. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm a lot older than you, but I find a staff invaluable. Maybe that's because I've been fishing these treacherous NorCal freestones. There are times when I know the staff has saved me a dunking and possibly my life.

I use a solid wood staff. In fact, a broom handle with a rubber bike handgrip on top. Hole for a leash. On the bottom I put a rubber foot normally used on a table leg with a screw down the centre to secure it. I use this over a collapsing staff as in the central valley of CA sometimes it helps to have a solid piece of wood in your hands.

Now that I'm in the Catskills the wading is more gentlemanly so it'll see less use.

That fellow made it look easy, didn't he? The economy of motion in that one big cast was textbook.

lefty

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  20. Henry Carter

Yeah I see what you mean. Our rivers here are pretty tame generally, and the bigger wider ones tend to be deeper as well and not as wadeable anyway. Depends on the time of the year of course, right now the levels are still very low and clear which has made the fishing tough this summer. This time last year we were under water with floods.

In Spring the levels can get up and flow very fast. I suspect like a lot of trout streams over there a lot of ours in the mountains are very snow melt oriented.