• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly fishing

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks like a lot of fun. Lovely place to fish.

More Scotland. Not as Rugges as your though pics, Kai.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know you worked on that, but to me it looks pretty staged. Hipsters in clothes that are too clean and non-functional for the situation pretending to fish.

lefty

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What lefty said. It will appeal to those who want an 'outdoorsy' look/feel but not to the 'real' fisherman. Then again, I doubt the latter is the target group.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree too I'm afraid. The last thing i'd want to be in while fishing is a button down and I own a clothing company. It's nicely filmed though except for the bloke at the end that's spinning dragging that fish along the surface. They are the sort of clothes i'd wear after fishing though when I'm in the mountains, just not when fishing.

classicgrey

Reaction score
Seriously? You think Filson, Barbour, and Wolverine make clothes for hipsters? You're outside your minds! Those brands have been around a combined total over 300 years!

I'm not sure what you mean by staged. Sure, we knew when we went fishing that a video was going to be made. But I'm a fisherman, and that's how I dress when on the water.

Wow, I'm really surprised by the reactions so far. Obviously, having a vested interest in the video I see things differently, but why do you think these are hipster clothes? This store has been around over 60 years and sells to a high end clientele.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Video has a nice vibe.

Personally, when I fish, I'm wearing synthetic clothing (except for wool socks.) I tumble into the water way too often, and wearing wool or cotton clothing isn't good because it takes forever to dry out and I'm cold and miserable and wet.

This is my favorite fishing shirt:

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=PB102

Seriously? You think Filson, Barbour, and Wolverine make clothes for hipsters? You're outside your minds! Those brands have been around a combined total over 300 years!
I'm not sure what you mean by staged. Sure, we knew when we went fishing that a video was going to be made. But I'm a fisherman, and that's how I dress when on the water.
Wow, I'm really surprised by the reactions so far. Obviously, having a vested interest in the video I see things differently, but why do you think these are hipster clothes? This store has been around over 60 years and sells to a high end clientele.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is, those clothes aren't fishing clothes even if you personally wear them to fish. When I think fishing clothes I think Simms, Columbia, sage and the like. Clothes that breathe and dry quickly and can be worn under waders. I'd put it to you that if you can wear selvedge denim and nice new shoes and they still look like that after a session on the water then your not doing it right. Fly fishing is about getting in a stream to stalk a fish, trudging in the mud, climbing through a rocky area to get that one cast in at that trophy fish and if your gear stops you doing all of that then its not fishing appropriate and the gear in the video falls in to that category for me and probably 99% of fisherman. But like I said its the kind of gear I'd wear casually on a fishing trip after fishing, in the mountains having a few beers in front of a fire.

Whether they are hipster brands is another discussion, but I don't think the history of a company has anyway of stopping the hipsters from picking it up and running with it. Barbour definitely falls in to that category at the very least, you only have to see the amount of threads and questions on here from people that want to us them that have and never will set foot in the country.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The denim. The red shirt. The fingerless gloves and wool caps on what seems to be a hot day. Boots with pure white soles. These look like brand new clothes put together by a stylist for a shoot. It looks like an easy place to fish, but still seems a little silly.

I own all these brands, but you'd never see me wearing any of it while on the water. If someone showed up in denim and a red shirt I'd send him back home to change.

Where was this shot?

lefty

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, thb I do fish in selfedge denim when I can and don't care that the jeans get muddy. (sugarcane in the pic at the little waterfall above). I've put a lot of research into finding funtional fishing gear that looks the part but its hard to find. Agree on the syntheics; when heading to a stream or lake that's a 4h walk from the nearest nearest road you will be exposed to the elements for a good 10-14h. The last thing you want is to get soaked wearing your 'water resistant, herritage' jacket the moment you arrive. Thank god for gore-tex and the likes. Must confess that I learned this the hard way.
Actually, I'm currently looking into the Irish Setter Elk Tracker boot for fishing. It seems functional and looks decent. Any thoughts?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, denim is legitimate workwear, but under waders--even if you don't tale a spill--they're just about the worst thing you can wear. I'll do it if I'm close to the car and quickly fishing small streams by boulder hopping.

The red shirt kinda kills me.

Crat, those look like really solid boots.

lefty

classicgrey

Reaction score

The denim. The red shirt. The fingerless gloves and wool caps on what seems to be a hot day. Boots with pure white soles. These look like brand new clothes put together by a stylist for a shoot. It looks like an easy place to fish, but still seems a little silly.

I own all these brands, but you'd never see me wearing any of it while on the water. If someone showed up in denim and a red shirt I'd send him back home to change.

Where was this shot?

lefty

Sorry for my snarky comments earlier. Like I said earlier, I have a lot invested in this, so it hurts when people don't have the reaction we intended.

Temp ranged from 40F to 55F throughout the day, so the cooler weather gear was needed. It's deer season in Iowa, and the red shirt was an aid against being one of the 10 people shot in hunting accidents already this year in our state. We were fishing small spring creeks, so denim was an appropriate choice for the conditions.

Shot on the Upper Iowa River, South Bear, and Waterloo Creek in the Driftless Area of Northeast Iowa. It's a beautiful area, as we tried to convey. This quote from my manager might give you some more insight into why we did this campaign.

"When I was 19 I fell in love with Iowa. It stopped just being the place I was born, where I’m from, where I live. I was given a copy of the Iowa Sportman’s Atlas. I have spent many days since chasing fish in the rivers and streams. More importantly I realized how many interesting people and places exist between the two great rivers that border the state. We spent a weekend in late October trout fishing the Driftless area of Northeast Iowa. We took pictures and highlighted some of the products we now carry in the store and online. This is part of a series highlighting the people, places and products that make Des Moines, and Iowa, special. This Holiday season and into the new year we encourage you to shop local. Local businesses are what make your community yours. Take ownership of your city and the places that make it special to you by making them your first stop. Explore and you’ll be surprised that you don’t have to travel too far from home to try something new." - Kevin

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We're just busting your balls a bit. I would have loved to see well-worn clothing as opposed to shiny and new, and think that would have given your clip and store some authenticity. Like this:

isaia-mens-fall2011-07.jpg

Isaia1-640x397.jpg

Isaia26-640x402.jpg

isaia-mens-fall2011-08.jpg

isaia-mens-fall2011-09.jpg

Looks like a nice spot.

lefty

Last edited:

classicgrey

Reaction score
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but let me provide some context. This store is in Des Moines, Iowa, not NYC. This is a city with a metro population of just 500,000. A city that resides in a moderately conservative state, that is not overly wealthy, and is the number one producer of corn, soybeans, and hogs in the country. In fact, if figured as its own country, we would be the number one producing corn country in the world. The world record deer was shot here not long ago. Our entire eastern and western borders are formed by the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, and our citizens explore those waterways. We may have more state pride than Texans, as my ceaseless arguing proves :).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads