• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly fishing

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes we have some great water in the Snowies and surrounding area's. I'm lucky where I live near Canberra, we have only a 2 hour drive to both the snowies and the coast, so I get the best of both worlds. But really I'm a trout fisherman at heart.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes we have some great water in the Snowies and surrounding area's. I'm lucky where I live near Canberra, we have only a 2 hour drive to both the snowies and the coast, so I get the best of both worlds. But really I'm a trout fisherman at heart.

Do you get a steelhead run or other anadromous fish?

lefty

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope the salmonid species we get here are sadly very limited to rainbows and brown trout mainly. There are brookies and atlantic salmon stocked by the hatchery here, but they are mostly just stocked in to 1 lake (lake jindabyne) The hatchery salmon are land locked so there is no natural recruitment. The main stocked species are rainbows though, with both major lakes in the snowies getting between 50-100k fingerling per year, but the brownies seem to breed naturally a lot better.

Tasmania is really the premier trout waters in Australia, with some great river and excellent polaroiding lakes. Then there is always New Zealand only a 3 hour flight from here, that's a whole other level of awesomeness.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too, one day.
Will go fishing for small bluefin tuna in spring. Looking forward.

Last edited:

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lefty,

if New Zealand is of interest, this is one of my favorite films.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I'll try and post up some pics of Roscoe area from last few years.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That stomach shot is a little WTF?

Roscoe NY? Yes, I would love the skinny on that place.

lefty

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They also have vids on Tahiti and Tasmania.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome vid. You guys seen any of the Source's vids?

Yeah I have the Source Tasmania, great DVD. Even better is one of there newer films, Hatch. WE have a big travelling fly film festival here called RISE film festival, and I met Nick Reygaert who made all of them at this years, very nice guy. He also used to film a lot of the trout bums stuff but his newer stuff is a lot better IMO. I can never get used to the manic filming sequences on trout bums. He has one coming out next year called predator which they showed a bit of at this years festival. Fishing for lots of big fish, stuff like Barramundi, Samson and the like, all stuff that bends a 12 weight to the corks!

Lefty those Hank Patterson vids are fantastic. I seem to remember they were done for free to raise money for cancer or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads