• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Pair of Dress Shoes - Please Help me decide

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
C&J ones do look nice, but I am not a fan of duties and I currently wear a 12 and 1/2 in the above shoes which C&J doesn't go up to.
Well, I'm not sure that's true in that the sizes noted on the PLal website for C&J go up to size 12 UK, which is about a 13 in the US system. Thus, if you mean you're a 12 1/2 US, then you should be OK. Re duties, keep in mind that you pay them one way or another. If you buy Zegna shoes, the duties have already been paid by the seller and the cost is passed along to you. With PLal, very few buyers that I've known about have had to pay much in duties and taxes.

Edit: Re the Shelton, it's a lot like the Onslow (same Norwegian-toe form, same last), and there's nothing about the split-toe feature that would present any kind of problem. However, it's different in a couple of ways. First, it's available in black in what C&J calls cavalry calf, which is a euphemism for corrected-grain leather (which you don't want, although it's better in black than it is in other colors), or in something they call dark brown antique nubuck. I haven't seen this, but don't think I'd like it, as it is not the usual nubuck with some nap, I believe, maybe more of an oiled nubuck (perhaps someone else can clarify this). Also, it has a storm welt, which I don't like particularly in a shoe that has to serve at least some dress function, as it makes the shoe a little bulkier.

For these reasons, if I were leaning towards a Norwegian-toe shoe, of the two C&Js, I'd choose the Onslow--either the brown scotch grain with the Dainite sole or the shell cordovan (burgundy) with the double sole. Both would be excellent in the Vancouver rain!

contaygious

Reaction score
Oh that's right it's UK sizes. I should be ok then thanks! Well I guess I just have to decide on some shoes then lol. I'm liking all of these. I prefer more modern and less consevative as I'm 25 and mostly wear modern sweaters and sport shirts, but all these seem to fit the bill to me (little do I know):

item1-102.jpeg

item1-13.jpeg

item1-54.jpeg

item1-46.jpeg

contaygious

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help Roger. Not sure I like the graint texture so I will probably go with the burgundy. Just have to make sure I order the right size so well try some shoes on at Pacific Center first. Also, how is the comfort level on a leather vs rubber sole? If I am used to all rubber is this going to feel very uncomfortable to me?

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, you are a tall dude. Out of the first five pairs of shoes you posted, this, imo, is the best one to fit your style: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...550cat10650732
The question is, however, do you really want to blow that much money on a Zegna shoe? As Roger pointed out, you can buy far superior quality shoes for almost half the price. On a side note, Zegna runs big for its size, so you will need to try them in person.

contaygious

Reaction score
Well the Onslows are actually more than the Zegnas at 565. I haven't seen anything close to half the price yet. As far as I have read the Dainite sole Onslows have a storm welt as well. Is that a bad thing?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help Roger. Not sure I like the graint texture so I will probably go with the burgundy. Just have to make sure I order the right size so well try some shoes on at Pacific Center first. Also, how is the comfort level on a leather vs rubber sole? If I am used to all rubber is this going to feel very uncomfortable to me?
The shell cordovan Onslow has a double sole and thus will wear forever. They don't seem different underfoot than my rubber-soled shoes, but some might sense a difference. If you were concerned about moisture in the soles, you could add a Topy sole cover (I did this on my shell cordovan Onslows), and it would add next to nothing to the sole depth. Try to get a really good idea of your exact size--length and width--before ordering from PLal. Report back here after doing your research. Once we've had a look, you should e-mail Shyam Doshi (if you plan to deal through PLal) and relay your findings to him. He'll fine-tune our advice re size.

contaygious

Reaction score
Thanks I emailed PLAI just to verify the pricing and will move forward once I have a better idea of sizing. I saw the brown rubber sole onslow at the barney's website and I am starting to like the brown grain as well. Just have to decide between them now I guess. I assume the Burgundy leather sole is more expensive.

Would I need a pebble belt to go with the grainy texture of the rubber onslows or is a regular dark brown one fine?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks I emailed PLAI just to verify the pricing and will move forward once I have a better idea of sizing. I saw the brown rubber sole onslow at the barney's website and I am starting to like the brown grain as well. Just have to decide between them now I guess. I assume the Burgundy leather sole is more expensive.

Would I need a pebble belt to go with the grainy texture of the rubber onslows or is a regular dark brown one fine?

Well, yes the burgundy Onslow is more, not because of its leather sole, but because it's made of shell cordovan leather. This raises the price substantially of all shoes made with it. You wouldn't absolutely need a pebble grain belt if you went with the scotch grain, rubber-sole version of the Onslow, but I like the combination of pebble-grain shoes and pebble-grain belt. Others will say it is taking matching elements too far. A smooth leather belt of about the same shade of brown as the scotch grain Onslows would be fine. As for choosing between a pebbled grain shoe and a shell cordovan one, they produce different effects. Pebble grain is the quintessential country shoe material, and thus throws off a more informal vibe. Shell cordovan has a character all its own, but still suggests an informal, rather than strictly-dress shoe.

contaygious

Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the clarification between the two styles. Which in your opinion would resist/hide scratches better? I already notice some tearing on my Prada Oxfords and I have only worn them about 6 months.

Maybe I can get the scotch grain onslows for my main shoe and then consider a sleeker black one for when I dress up a bit more since I don't have a black shoe either. I haven't really had a need for a black shoe too often so far, but I could probably dress up some slacks and a simple white or black button down with a pair. Plus, I wouldn't have to wear the onslows everyday then.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Zegna captoe, but I don't like tan for the color. I own 2 pairs of Zegnas that I'm happy with.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the second Zegna shoe. Forget that you "Must" get black for a first shoe. Brown is fashionable, perfect for summer and the clothes that you mention.

But don't get any one shoe just on looks. Get them for comfort too. Buy them when you can try them on. Wait until later in the day after you have been walking so your feet have swollen a bit. Don't let a shoe salesperson talk you into a shoe that doesn't feel comfortable right away. Shoes hardly ever stretch that much. If it is your only dress shoe you must get one that is very comfortable and has plenty of room for you to move your toes (or as they say, "play the piano with your toes"). Get shoe trees and shoe cream to polish your shoes. Good luck and be sure to post pics once you get them.

contaygious

Reaction score
Update: the site replied to me and said they can only sell the shells not the grain ones. I'm just not sure I want to drop 565 plus taxes on shoes I cannot see in person and try on, but I will think about it...

Pacific Center is closed so I will have to go tomorrow to figure out my size anyway.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lesliemalton