• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just getting ready to mention the same point that nevadabob made. My guess is that Filson has a YKK machine that automates the custom cutting of different length zippers.
Who knew how much work went into making a zipper?

YKK apparently does EVERYTHING it can in-house. Including smelting its own brass and making the boxes that the zippers ship in.
https://ykknorthamerica.com/the-ykk-difference/vertical-integration/

Interesting video, thanks. I was wrong about the teeth being cast, so that was educational. Also that the zips are waxed. Often heard about that but never tried it, so now I know it’s ok to do it.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Sorry, but going to the source doesn't count as a legitimate argument. Although he did say that YKK supplied Filson with a machine, but that doesn't count either. **edit: actually upon re-read, he didn't say a machine, he said equipment.**

The more rational of you can consider this. Of course it’s still coming from customer support. But at least it’s been ‘documented’

It makes sense, though, from an earlier article about sweeping up teeth at the end of the day. I imagine Filson buys large rolls of zippers, knocks the teeth out where needed, then cuts, adds stops and installs on whatever.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but going to the source doesn't count as a legitimate argument. Although he did say that YKK supplied Filson with a machine, but that doesn't count either. **edit: actually upon re-read, he didn't say a machine, he said equipment.**

It makes sense, though, from an earlier article about sweeping up teeth at the end of the day. I imagine Filson buys large rolls of zippers, knocks the teeth out where needed, then cuts, adds stops and installs on whatever.

It makes no mention of sweeping up teeth, but chocolate sprinkle sized brass from THE MAKER, which could come from anywhere, like the zipper pull and slider for instance. Also the latest article on the subject I provided (featured below) is with the factory manager Teresa Whittaker, and it says “crank out their own zippers”, makes no mention anywhere of cutting. Again I’m not arguing that Filson doesn’t cut their own zippers, but attempting at proving this rare “zipper machine” is used to create another component of the design, such as the custom stamped pull tabs.

zipper.PNG

And @Stratkat I do appreciate you sharing the conversation but as I’ve shared Filson’s customer service doesn’t count as a reliable source to me, they’ve made too many mistakes and contradictions in the past for me to think otherwise. Like I said if it came from the a factory manager or supervisor that would settle things on my end. Sorry to be so difficult but I enjoy pushing your buttons...kidding but seriously I enjoy finding and pushing for proof istead of emotion-based debating (which I'm not accusing you of here).

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more rational of you can consider this. Of course it’s still coming from customer support. But at least it’s been ‘documented’
View attachment 1197618 View attachment 1197619 View attachment 1197619
From all the evidence presented, I think it’s fair to say that the zipper teeth arrive at the Filson facility in rolls and are cut to length by a specialty machine provided by YKK that requires training and is unusual in its own right. I was the first person to suggest that they cut the teeth on site based on an article that I misinterpreted. While it’s possible that they manufacture the other parts of the zipper, that seems inefficient and unlikely to me, but can’t say for sure.

That said, this thread is about having fun and having mutual respect for each other and I take offense to you calling out people as irrational (no matter who you are referring to or whether you personally feel that way or not). That is straight rude. There’s no place for that here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From all the evidence presented, I think it’s fair to say that the zipper teeth arrive at the Filson facility in rolls and are cut to length by a specialty machine provided by YKK that requires training and is unusual in its own right. I was the first person to suggest that they cut the teeth on site based on an article that I misinterpreted. While it’s possible that they manufacture the other parts of the zipper, that seems inefficient and unlikely to me, but can’t say for sure.

That said, this thread is about having fun and having mutual respect for each other and I take offense to you calling out people as irrational (no matter who you are referring to or whether you personally feel that way or not). That is straight rude. There’s no place for that here.

I bear equal criticism with my usual unrelenting replies lol. In my defense though I never once said anything about Filson not having a machine that cuts their own zipper teeth to length, as when i think of a zipper assembly as a whole, I also focus on the slider/pull tab. I still think based on evidence that i have provided, that this “zipper machine” as stated in the article is utilized with creating the custom stamped zipper tabs mated to the sliders. The article with the factory manager uses trigger words such as “crank out” and Zipper Maker”. I don’t extrapolate a machine that simply cuts the zipper to length from either examples, especially not for a still small niche company such as Filson. When you look at bags like the 24HR, 48HR & 70258, garment bag, it makes sense considering how many zipper sliders/pull tabs are needed with the custom stamped logos, multiple sizes too (24/48HR)

Last edited:

FilsonDude

Reaction score
So no one here has taken the factory tour?
I’m kind of surprised with all the Filson fanatics residing here.
I think I’ll try for a visit sometime this year and definitely be asking many “zipper questions”

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So no one here has taken the factory tour?
I’m kind of surprised with all the Filson fanatics residing here.
I think I’ll try for a visit sometime this year and definitely be asking many “zipper questions”

Awesome! I'm not sure how in-depth the tour is but when I go back to Seattle, this time as a Filsonado, I will certainly take the full scheduled tour.

Also didn't realize we just hit 16,000 posts, congratulations to another 1,500 posts guys.

Last edited:

Kwaker

Reaction score
So while counting the number of teeth on my zippers ... I mean, how else do I follow up some 3 pages of zipper-talk ... I realized that my 70025 has both YYK (11 teeth per inch) and FILSON (8 teeth per inch) stamped pulls.

Attachments

• 0F1F539B-FA01-41C2-B844-F7607585D5B9.jpeg
    0F1F539B-FA01-41C2-B844-F7607585D5B9.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 83

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So while counting the number of teeth on my zippers ... I mean, how else do I follow up some 3 pages of zipper-talk ... I realized that my 70025 has both YYK (11 teeth per inch) and FILSON (8 teeth per inch) stamped pulls.
You sir are truly blessed!

When @TinMan3 and I visited the London store we were told there that there is a big hopper of zippers. Allegedly they reach in and grab one as needed. It’s thought there might be a sort of strata - Talons at the bottom, YKK in the middle and Filson at the top. Potentially it’s the luck of the draw.

In reality that might have been true a while ago but given their brand awareness now I guess that sort of thing has stopped. Good story though!

pnwprice

Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt zipper-quest 2019. But I am really stoked on this find. Estate sale find from up in northern Washington state.

I know this is an outfitter bag. Have no idea what size this was sold as. I’m guessing this is a medium as the medium duffle is the closest size comparison I have. No date tags. Definitely old harness leather. BEAUTIFUL talon zips. I mean they look brand new. Leather is a bit dry in spots but it is also in top shape. The only thing I could spot wrong with it after taking it home is one of the button rivets inside the bottom compartment is starting to corrode. This makes sense as this is the dry bag portion of the bag, but otherwise the only sore spot on the piece.

P.S. What are those inside button rivets for? Was there a snap in liner of some kind with these bags?

Attachments

• BA39B08B-B565-4FDE-A6F7-DEF2B777E91A.jpeg
    BA39B08B-B565-4FDE-A6F7-DEF2B777E91A.jpeg
    480.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 73CE392B-FE0F-404A-88FC-F9C162793970.jpeg
    73CE392B-FE0F-404A-88FC-F9C162793970.jpeg
    694.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 663CFEB4-A661-4893-8E82-B1658024E27B.jpeg
    663CFEB4-A661-4893-8E82-B1658024E27B.jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 10127013-7DC4-48BE-94BE-97C454F98739.jpeg
    10127013-7DC4-48BE-94BE-97C454F98739.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 43419980-CE9A-4725-8138-F4825DDEA333.jpeg
    43419980-CE9A-4725-8138-F4825DDEA333.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 6653CEDB-3BE9-47EA-A57D-AF5FB4F92C01.jpeg
    6653CEDB-3BE9-47EA-A57D-AF5FB4F92C01.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 85
  • A2AEF8C1-9EEF-4B42-9326-2CBAD8950FBB.jpeg
    A2AEF8C1-9EEF-4B42-9326-2CBAD8950FBB.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 8474D22E-1DC0-4917-BF37-9F854195D383.jpeg
    8474D22E-1DC0-4917-BF37-9F854195D383.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 86
  • D450D2A4-EE98-46E4-ABDD-20487B8558A0.jpeg
    D450D2A4-EE98-46E4-ABDD-20487B8558A0.jpeg
    754.1 KB · Views: 102
  • BF97CC60-F4F4-417A-A976-7D61FD3CECA7.jpeg
    BF97CC60-F4F4-417A-A976-7D61FD3CECA7.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 106

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt zipper-quest 2019. But I am really stoked on this find. Estate sale find from up in northern Washington state.

I know this is an outfitter bag. Have no idea what size this was sold as. I’m guessing this is a medium as the medium duffle is the closest size comparison I have. No date tags. Definitely old harness leather. BEAUTIFUL talon zips. I mean they look brand new. Leather is a bit dry in spots but it is also in top shape. The only thing I could spot wrong with it after taking it home is one of the button rivets inside the bottom compartment is starting to corrode. This makes sense as this is the dry bag portion of the bag, but otherwise the only sore spot on the piece.

P.S. What are those inside button rivets for? Was there a snap in liner of some kind with these bags?

Great barn find. The Outfitter Bags will actually share the dimensions & close appearances with the #248-LTB more then the Duffel's. Most will say that they are LTB's with an extra compartment sewn on the bottom and a zipper pocket on the side. It's like the #258 being closely compared to the #257 but with an extra pocket sewn on the front. There are obviously other differences on both Outfitters and on the #258, but this is just for reference sake.

How much did it go for at the Estate Sale? I've been attending more of these types of sales in my parents retirement village, but have found zero Filson's (bags or garments).

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noticed this on my eBay search and wanted to share it. Not trying to prove any points with this, I've never seen this happen before (to any generation)

Filson-YKK Era Zipper fail. Talk about having to jump the tracks

Filson YKK.PNG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is truly strange. It a vintage Mackinaw Cruiser (circa 1980's I think) and has a ZIPPER...and not a very good one it seems. Obviously this is a modification but caught my stare and wanted to share it with you guys:

zipper mack.PNG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads