• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Was in Charleston and Atlanta this week and saw more filson bags in those two airports than I’ve ever seen. Rollers, weatherproof, & every color and type of briefcase. No duffles though.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s all about laziness as that’s why he stole them in the first place....
I’m not a very regular eBay seller. Why would someone with 300+ positive ratings use clearly screen grabbed images, in the wrong orientation, of a bag they don’t own, to try and sell something? Doesn’t any buyer with an ounce of common sense wonder why and avoid the seller?

Canuckle

Reaction score
I’m not a very regular eBay seller. Why would someone with 300+ positive ratings use clearly screen grabbed images, in the wrong orientation, of a bag they don’t own, to try and sell something? Doesn’t any buyer with an ounce of common sense wonder why and avoid the seller?

Some people seem to think that all images are "fair game" and can be used freely. I've had someone on ebay rip off my entire photos AND description word for word. It's frustrating but I think these people just wish they could take photos as good as the ones I post. Like most things, I think the answer to your question is they assume they won't get caught. That's why most people do bad things... they think no one will notice.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I would bet that those 300+ positive ratings are mostly from purchase transactions. You’re right, if they were a regular seller, they would at very minimum be able to get the orientation right.

eBay has also done everything in their power to make protecting your personal images extremely difficult. They wrote in an update last year that ‘by agreeing to our user agreement, you give eBay and all its users the right to use any photos you upload and your descriptions.’ Not word for word, but might as well be. They are a buyers market, always have been and it will only get worse I’m afraid.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I would bet that those 300+ positive ratings are mostly from purchase transactions. You’re right, if they were a regular seller, they would at very minimum be able to get the orientation right.

eBay has also done everything in their power to make protecting your personal images extremely difficult. They wrote in an update last year that ‘by agreeing to our user agreement, you give eBay and all its users the right to use any photos you upload and your descriptions.’ Not word for word, but might as well be. They are a buyers market, always have been and it will only get worse I’m afraid.

I’ve said the exact thing. EBAY could care less about their sellers, they don’t enforce buyers to leave feedback on sellers, they only charge the seller fees, and the most frustrating thing is how much effort it takes to correct unnecessary bad feedback. Speaking of feedback, why do buyers need feedback? Most payments are instant and that’s pretty much the extent of their efforts. Without sellers the buyers would go elsewhere, so technically the sellers are what’s keeping eBay afloat

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve said the exact thing. EBAY could care less about their sellers, they don’t enforce buyers to leave feedback on sellers, they only charge the seller fees, and the most frustrating thing is how much effort it takes to correct unnecessary bad feedback. Speaking of feedback, why do buyers need feedback? Most payments are instant and that’s pretty much the extent of their efforts. Without sellers the buyers would go elsewhere, so technically the sellers are what’s keeping eBay afloat
Yes you need sellers to have buyers, but the buyer is the person pumping money into the company. Without the buyer, the seller doesn’t have money to pay the fees. It’s all a big circle but eBay has clearly decided that the making it easy to sell at the expense of whoever need be is what they will do. I feel bad for people who are in less of a niche space. For me, the only time this can really happen is when my items are new with or without tags. When they are used, as they often are, it doesn’t affect me. Still frustrating when it does happen though. I get the most upset when people use my pictures when my item is still listed and undercut my price. That really grinds my gears.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Finally had a chance to visit the Filson HQ store in Seattle. We took the train in and had a chance to spend a couple hours there.

Posting a bunch of pics here - hopefully you enjoy.

A couple observations:
1. Came in on the train and, admittedly, my heart skipped a small beat when I first saw the Filson neon sign.
2. The store itself is away from the downtown area in a relatively industrial area. Not the nicest part but not too bad.
3. The retail section is on the second floor. The ‘factory’ is on the first. The factory is behind a large glass wall.
4. They will do stamping and embossing (initials, for example) on the first floor but not inside the factory floor. I had them emboss my initials and a cool Filson stamp on my 256 strap.
5. The FRD was definitely the most interesting part (especially if you’ve been to a Filson retail store as they’re all pretty similar, in my experiences).
6. FRD dept was near the front of the retail section which surprised me. It was much smaller than I had thought - in a very open section. When I was there, there was one guy working on making leather Filson guitar straps. I tried to chat with him for a minute but he was rocking tunes and had his back turned most of the time.
7 The FRD section was in a section that was only about 12x12 or maybe 15x15 at the most.
8. I only bought a couple FRD pouches - very interesting - come with a special stamp and the ones I bought were both tin cloth with different color cloth on either side. They now officially hold my dongles.
9. Yes, I said: they hold my dongles.
10. The people were very very nice there and really represented the brand very well. Super helpful and full of Seattle energy. Good stuff.
11. I was with my significant other so my time was a bit limited - as one would expect as we were in Seattle for just one day.

To summarize: The FRD was smaller than I thought it would be. The store was very cool but very similar to most other Filson stores.I’d go on a weekday to get a tour of the factory as that would have been more interesting (Tuesdays and Thursdays for the tours). It’s worth a visit, for sure.

In any case, enjoy the pics.

View attachment 1156155

CB2C5DF9-5BE7-48CE-9B80-5A573B095288.jpeg

7392AA81-552D-458B-B57F-F20BC274EF69.jpeg

325AE75A-B540-4274-971C-B18E6E109FDF.jpeg

9E47FD98-7B91-45E7-9E48-110D613A465D.jpeg

0051923E-F466-4E32-824B-F5C19ED4106E.jpeg

1B8E7F86-DAE1-446B-944A-6548D62FAE8C.jpeg

759B8C29-8713-4C16-A506-9D83D0A7DD4D.jpeg

BE121CA9-4F38-48DA-A93F-2C575ACCBE9D.jpeg

C3249F13-8DA1-4E1D-857F-B8119889CECE.jpeg

62277E6E-2A8C-4919-BDC5-D4ABE2DE32C3.jpeg

ED3ECD79-2C93-41FA-BDF9-567A687E6F65.jpeg

ADC28A9F-E8BA-4776-B7D6-3DE549037EE8.jpeg

7778DEED-7A96-47EC-8715-FA5CA34C5209.jpeg

7ACA574C-4DC8-49F8-95C5-2C06E9BE7350.jpeg

Davey13

Reaction score
My goodness that's really awesome. Those pics of the Juki machines lined up, wow. These pics are marvelous. First time I've seen the FRD, too bad the NYC store doesn't have that. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following @mgrennier very nice post (I’m going to get there one day).

I saw the industrial sewing machines in his pics and thought I’d post a couple of photos. I’ve always liked making stuff of all kinds - wood work, motorcycle customization etc etc. I think the self reliance aspect of Filson figures here - bags and clothing that are tools, with aesthetic value too.

Sewing is a handy skill, and here are a couple of “tools” I use for this:

9160DB44-2609-4D23-80D6-AC2F69E73B5D.jpeg

This is a manual crank portable Singer manufactured in 1892 - and working perfectly. It’ll do thick denim etc far easier than a modern domestic equivalent. And so pretty!

Second up:
87C4B788-C7C0-44CD-A87B-7D654F1DCDB0.jpeg

1957 electric version incorporated into a folding side table. Slightly more sophisticated but still cast iron and durable.

The quality of construction has to be felt to be understood. These are definitely function plus form.

Canuckle

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Filson Travel Kit (aka toiletries bag) to match with my 256 and 246 in tan. I am specifically looking for one in TAN with YKK zippers, preferably somewhere around 2006-2010 year build. I'd prefer it to be in excellent/like new condition but I'll consider all options :)

If anyone happens to have one for sale please let me know. Thanks!

masayako

Reaction score
I know we talk a lot about bags here, Filson bags especially. However, do you also want to share what goes into your bag? What do you carry with it everyday? Here's my items in rotation every week. How about yours?
EDC1.jpg EDC2.jpg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we talk a lot about bags here, Filson bags especially. However, do you also want to share what goes into your bag? What do you carry with it everyday? Here's my items in rotation every week. How about yours?
View attachment 1156670 View attachment 1156671

Very nice assortment - looks like something the valet would pack for the Earl of Grantham!
Is that a Rolex oyster of some sort?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mgrennier, great photos! Your observations largely mirrored my own from last October. The very friendly staff, the industrial location, the usual stock except for the FRD section which was unfortunately small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads