• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TomWambsgans

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the "Compact Twill Briefcase"? I've only seen slight mention of it on this thread, years ago. I impulse-purchased one (it was 50% off MSRP) thinking I'd give it as a gift.

Rugged Twill Compact Briefcase (filson.com)

The silence was damning. I've shipped this off for a refund.

I'm thinking I'll unload some of my 256s, per the advice I received earlier in this thread. Are there any 'best practices' for doing this on Ebay that I should be aware of, in terms of auction vs buy-it-now, when to sell, etc.? None are of a notable era.

thewinedown

Reaction score
If anyone out there has a 48hr or spots one at a great price, I may be interested. Tan or OG, I’ll go with what fate hands me.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With my 2nd hiatus from the forum this milestone took even longer, but that changes today. Post number 5,000 for me!! Since I started posting in August 2017 it only took me just under 4.5 years, whether or not that's a good thing is up for you to decide. As per tradition each thousand posts I pick a different avatar photo. I will admit this one hit me close to home, but thinking on it there really was no other photo I would have picked. Since I'm halfway to being called a Dinosaur on Styleforum, I figured I'd create a little montage of my avatars over the years. You're going to see a trend and given my name here it might be quite obvious.

Post: 0 - 1000. Found this on Bulgang & Sons, which is an incredible Filson and luxury brand reseller. Check out their website, it's pretty captivating.

IMG_2929.JPG

Post: 1000 - 2000. This was pretty early on in my Filson journey around Jan. 2018. These were my only 2 Filson's after selling my 24HR, so that's three straight Otter Greens. The table in the backdrop has been in my family for over 100 years.

IMG_0356.JPG

Post: 2000 - 3000. Mid 2018 this is still one of the best photos I've ever taken. Pre-Filson of Great Jones NYC Pin

IMG_2645.JPG

Post: 3000 - 4000. Taken on a work trip to Connecticut. With the exception of my Talon No.257, everything else you see I have parted ways with. I've used this photo many times to showcase the difference in bridle leather and Otter Green Twill shades. Even in the same Era (Talon) you can see the vast differences in both, especially since at the time both were still in such well preserved condition.

OG.jpg

Post: 4000 - 5000. Okay by now I'm sure you can see the pattern, every picture is Filson related. I may have spent time on other conversations here, but Filson is home to me. Many of you I call my close friends, and a number of you I have met in person. We've had a meal, smoked a cigar, drank a cold one, but our conversation's were like the one we have here...extraordinary!!!

IMG_4709.JPG

Post Number 5000 Avatar: I was planning on using my GORUCK picture with Chance but then I came across this one and it brought a tear to my eye. He's resting his head on my most prized Filson. As you may know, we lost Chance last March and the hole that he has left in my heart and my family will never be whole again. But I wanted to commemorate his incredible life in my own way.

IMG_2917.JPG

Last edited:

philipz

Reaction score
If you extend your search to eBay I can always offer my assistance? Any particular color or era you’re looking for? Are you searching for a 257 or a Bedrock 70257? A pristine Talon or early YKK No.257 for an affordable price is not impossible to find, after all I found one and for at least $100 less then a new one. Keep in mind each era will have different bridle leather and will patina uniquely to its corresponding era.
Thanks a lot! I always prefer Talon or early YKK era.

Bon Vivant Life

Reaction score
I am hoping someone might be able to answer a Filson non-bag related question. My google searches have not produced an answer. Does anyone know which of these two labels is older? The diamond or the oval? What is confusing me is that in both cases shown below, they are still using "Lot" #'s and not "Style", which from my research they transitioned to sometime in the 80's after Filson was sold. I have always assumed the diamond logo was older, as I had a jacket from 2011 (i think) that had the oval label, but seeing that oval label with a Lot # has me scratching my head. Pics below are from the web.
filson oval label.jpg
filson diamond label.jpg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With my 2nd hiatus from the forum this milestone took even longer, but that changes today. Post number 5,000 for me!! Since I started posting in August 2017 it only took me just under 4.5 years, whether or not that's a good thing is up for you to decide. As per tradition each thousand posts I pick a different avatar photo. I will admit this one hit me close to home, but thinking on it there really was no other photo I would have picked. Since I'm halfway to being called a Dinosaur on Styleforum, I figured I'd create a little montage of my avatars over the years. You're going to see a trend and given my name here it might be quite obvious.

Post: 0 - 1000. Found this on Bulgang & Sons, which is an incredible Filson and luxury brand reseller. Check out their website, it's pretty captivating.

View attachment 1738834

Post: 1000 - 2000. This was pretty early on in my Filson journey around Jan. 2018. These were my only 2 Filson's after selling my 24HR, so that's three straight Otter Greens. The table in the backdrop has been in my family for over 100 years.

View attachment 1738832

Post: 2000 - 3000. Mid 2018 this is still one of the best photos I've ever taken. Pre-Filson of Great Jones NYC Pin

View attachment 1738831

Post: 3000 - 4000. Taken on a work trip to Connecticut. With the exception of my Talon No.257, everything else you see I have parted ways with. I've used this photo many times to showcase the difference in bridle leather and Otter Green Twill shades. Even in the same Era (Talon) you can see the vast differences in both, especially since at the time both were still in such well preserved condition.

View attachment 1738838

Post: 4000 - 5000. Okay by now I'm sure you can see the pattern, every picture is Filson related. I may have spent time on other conversations here, but Filson is home to me. Many of you I call my close friends, and a number of you I have met in person. We've had a meal, smoked a cigar, drank a cold one, but our conversation's were like the one we have here...extraordinary!!!

View attachment 1738835

Post Number 5000 Avatar: I was planning on using my GORUCK picture with Chance but then I came across this one and it brought a tear to my eye. He's resting his head on my most prized Filson. As you may know, we lost Chance last March and the hole that he has left in my heart and my family will never be whole again. But I wanted to commemorate his incredible life in my own way.

View attachment 1738844
May you have 5,000 more posts, Otter..

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am hoping someone might be able to answer a Filson non-bag related question. My google searches have not produced an answer. Does anyone know which of these two labels is older? The diamond or the oval? What is confusing me is that in both cases shown below, they are still using "Lot" #'s and not "Style", which from my research they transitioned to sometime in the 80's after Filson was sold. I have always assumed the diamond logo was older, as I had a jacket from 2011 (i think) that had the oval label, but seeing that oval label with a Lot # has me scratching my head. Pics below are from the web.
View attachment 1739017 View attachment 1739016

Great question! Before I submit my answer you must first understand Filson as a company; they have a thing for nostalgia. Well within the last decade we've seen reintroductions of past discontinued (and revised) bags, like the Sportsman and the unpadded bridle shoulder straps. These were both discontinued during the last decade or just past it. That also extends to garment labels, as seen below and wherever Bedrock Filson can sneak in the century old motto "Might As Well Have The Best". At least anywhere but on the actual garment or luggage item (website marketing or disposable tags).

Speaking of nostalgia, here is a 2012 Filson Garment using a very familiar label

2012.jpg

However thanks to websites like Archival Blog I believe I have located your answer. The second tag you have included was first featured on garment items in the mid to late 1960's. Before that you had this garment label, which is probably the most famous. Known simply as the "Union Made" label.

Here is my very well preserved and most likely never worn 1960 Forestry Cruiser Lot 16. Yup I paid that price too... :fonz:

Filson Forestry Cruiser 6.PNG

The smoking gun is from Archival Blog though. The best way to date a Filson coat is focusing on the snaps. Here is a 1930's Filson Cruiser. Observe the snaps used. The Gold snaps where typically used between the 1920's - 1930's!!!

1930.PNG

Last edited:

originalhype

Reaction score
What bag is this? I'm looking at buying a 258 but would consider this.

It could be a prototype or a filson restoration made bag.

The silence was damning. I've shipped this off for a refund.

I'm thinking I'll unload some of my 256s, per the advice I received earlier in this thread. Are there any 'best practices' for doing this on Ebay that I should be aware of, in terms of auction vs buy-it-now, when to sell, etc.? None are of a notable era.

The compact twill briefcase is strictly made for laptops or tablet. it is not as versatile. I have seen them in person and I have seen them in person and on sale and they are just that, It is a built bag for a specialty purpose. The fabric is same as their rugged twill but It is not as versatile as the OG briefcase. If you are okay with that then buy it.

originalhype

Reaction score
The most underrated and under appreciated product that filson ever made and yet they discontinue it. The travel tray.
Any time i go out, I always take one. Can be folded flat and turn into a tray.

image-11069158OD-550-550.jpg

thomasnewman

Reaction score
Hi, I have just bought a Filson bag from someone but can't seem to find any images of this model online. Does anyone else have this; or know the product name at all?
Any help would be appreciated! :)

Attachments

• s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    282 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 24
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 34

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics