• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wont pretend to represent that I know for a fact what Military contractors or SPEC OPS are wearing in the field. TAD often alludes to this being true, when in fact, there are several reports that it is not. I chalk this up to their marketing, but I also don't dress tacticool in my day-to-day so it doesn't matter to me.

With some research, and confirmation bias from a handful of SMEs, they are wearing real gear like Crye. I believe all of their stuff is US made. I have only handled one of the PC and its seemed great. However, I don't have personal experience with their apparel or tac gear, but I do know it is heavily favored and praised.

That aside, if you like what TAD is putting out and don't care about the price tag, by all means give it a shot. But its fashion clothing. Don't buy it assuming it is also survival/sandbox rated.

No purchases have been made yet, still in the research phase. Considering this is a pretty small company, one has to search for information as it's not readily available like Filson is. Just so you're aware, I wasn't going by the website. If you haven't realized yet about me, I'm a researcher at heart, the information that I've gathered isn't just from their website, but actual reviews from users. Yes, some of those were military contractors, law enforcement and survivalists. The rest were much like the Filson crowd (myself and at least several others included), city dwellers using stuff made for the everyday professional outdoorsman. That doesn't make any one of us wrong, but I'd argue the opposite, as there is an outdoors and adventurous spirit in all of us.

Sure there are some critical stuff to be said about the company, similar to what you have echoed, but there are also users who have tested them out to the limit over the course of several years. I checked out Crye, and it's way too tacticool for me, I need something that is going to fly under the radar, as I mentioned several times in my previous posts. I guess like many things out there, one has to take the good with the bad.

Also much like GORUCK, Triple Aught Design does customer and team challenges where they go out and test the gear, which is pretty cool and I have read reviews about military using them for training (I linked one of them below). Keep in mind the pocket layout routinely touts the ability to hold certain firearm magazines in a concealed manner, as far as I know there aren't many brands that allow for that while blending in with the general public. That feature isn't completely important to me, unless society continues its path on a downward plunge; otherwise I am just going to use the feature when going to the range.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention to all of you Raw Selvedge Denimheads out there that they also make a pair with Cone Denim with the same clever pocket layout and features

7AA1BD12-C485-4404-8899-EEFE97F803E2.jpeg

63D5DE3F-8E96-487C-83C2-27392BEEF6B2.jpeg

57FB9400-7A98-4088-8484-3ABA7B43BD43.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, fine, I’ll bite. Otter, why have you given up on denim...?

Was wondering why nobody was taking the bait on that. HAHA I think I might be a little too OCD for denim transfers. I just sold my GAP Japanese Raws for $50 on eBay, which is a little less then what I paid new when they had 50% off sale so all good. Also the stiffness and break in period wasn't really my cup of whiskey. I instead wore a once neglected pair of chinos and instantly fell in love with the comfort and the patina after wearing almost nothing but them for a season. Obviously they didn't last long after that, hence the need for a more durable material.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention to all of you Raw Selvedge Denimheads out there that they also make a pair with Cone Denim with the same clever pocket layout and features

View attachment 1562518

View attachment 1562519

View attachment 1562520
Nothing like it when @OtterMeanGreen starts one of his research projects! He will soon know more about this brand than anyone else!

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was wondering why nobody was taking the bait on that. HAHA I think I might be a little too OCD for denim transfers. I just sold my GAP Japanese Raws for $50 on eBay, which is a little less then what I paid new when they had 50% off sale so all good. Also the stiffness and break in period wasn't really my cup of whiskey. I instead wore a once neglected pair of chinos and instantly fell in love with the comfort and the patina after wearing almost nothing but them for a season. Obviously they didn't last long after that, hence the need for a more durable material.

Railcar Fine Goods has a Duck canvas "flight trouser": https://railcarfinegoods.com/collections/flight-trousers/products/flight-trouser-seaweed-green

I'm curious to try them, but have not had good luck in the past with online measurements matching my real life measurements.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you don’t think denim is comfortable, I’m not sure you’re going to like duck canvas pants hah. But they won’t transfer dye so there’s 1/2.

Definitely right on that one, but a well broken in pair of Duck, I'd be interested to see how those feel. Can't be any stiffer then Raw Denim, and no transfer. These were pretty cool and I think almost completely flame resistant...not that I plan on lounging in any fires :lol: I've read reviews of owners who put them to the test in mechanics and engineering fields and still have them in working condition 3 years later.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely right on that one, but a well broken in pair of Duck, I'd be interested to see how those feel. Can't be any stiffer then Raw Denim, and no transfer. These were pretty cool and I think almost completely flame resistant...not that I plan on lounging in any fires :lol: I've read reviews of owners who put them to the test in mechanics and engineering fields and still have them in working condition 3 years later.

One option is to wash your raw denim. They soften quickly and also don’t bleed nearly as much after a couple of washes. Another good option is regular denim. But I can tell you are over denim and that’s ok! So...

I have a pair of dry tin pants in raven that I really like. They’re not slim fitting at all but rather cut with more room for working in and they are tough as nails. They’ve seen more than a few projects in my house from start to finish and are no worse for wear. They however are not made in the USA and I don’t think filson makes any work pants in the US outside of the waxed canvas and wool.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, my current durable-hiking-pant-with-tons-of-pockets of choice is the Buckhorn Cargo pant sold by .... Filson. They are fantastic but, unfortunately, apparently discontinued. So I guess they aren’t sold by Filson anymore.

They replaced - only because I lost two sizes and not because I wore them out - a pair of similar pants from 5.11. In fact, if I ever wear out the Buckhorns (or get too small for them) I’ll try on some more from 5.11 for our winter hiking.

thewinedown

Reaction score

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One option is to wash your raw denim. They soften quickly and also don’t bleed nearly as much after a couple of washes. Another good option is regular denim. But I can tell you are over denim and that’s ok! So...

I have a pair of dry tin pants in raven that I really like. They’re not slim fitting at all but rather cut with more room for working in and they are tough as nails. They’ve seen more than a few projects in my house from start to finish and are no worse for wear. They however are not made in the USA and I don’t think filson makes any work pants in the US outside of the waxed canvas and wool.
I know these aren't necessarily in the tough-guy, 5.11 cargo pants, EDC category, but if you're looking for a pair of jeans that don't feel like jeans (but look good), try www.revtown.com. I've bought a couple pairs of their jeans and they feel like I'm wearing sweats. - perfect for the work-from-home world we're living in.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Railcar Fine Goods has a Duck canvas "flight trouser": https://railcarfinegoods.com/collections/flight-trousers/products/flight-trouser-seaweed-green

I'm curious to try them, but have not had good luck in the past with online measurements matching my real life measurements.
Those are nice-looking, and 12oz canvas should be beefy enough to substitute for a light denim. The taper might be a tad agressive... or perfect. Will have to go look at my Raleigh Denim Martins, which are perfect for my taste...

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm by no means a denim expert, but I did dip my toe in it a couple years back. Probably my softest and best-worn pair are the Raleigh Martins I mentioned above, and I started with no wash or soak at all. My wife just put a third wash on them (
poe6hb.gif
- they were due, but she doesn't follow the "rules"...) and they've been amazing all along. My Gustin pairs that got a soak seemed to take longer to lose the stiffness, and crocking was more noticeable, which was problematic. COVID and other things have seen me narrow to far fewer pairs of jeans worn (mainly rotating between the the Raleigh and my original pair of Gustins) and fewer boots/shoes (95% of wear between two or three pairs of Grant Stones when I wear anything other than sneakers or slippers, though I'm trying to throw some Alden pairs in). Not much is getting much wear, so I doubt I'm adding much any time soon. (though I do have a COVID-interrupted Aero leather coat coming in the near-ish future).

Net: I wonder if not soaking or washing at first offers a quicker path to comfortable.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm by no means a denim expert, but I did dip my toe in it a couple years back. Probably my softest and best-worn pair are the Raleigh Martins I mentioned above, and I started with no wash or soak at all. My wife just put a third wash on them (
poe6hb.gif
- they were due, but she doesn't follow the "rules"...) and they've been amazing all along. My Gustin pairs that got a soak seemed to take longer to lose the stiffness, and crocking was more noticeable, which was problematic. COVID and other things have seen me narrow to far fewer pairs of jeans worn (mainly rotating between the the Raleigh and my original pair of Gustins) and fewer boots/shoes (95% of wear between two or three pairs of Grant Stones when I wear anything other than sneakers or slippers, though I'm trying to throw some Alden pairs in). Not much is getting much wear, so I doubt I'm adding much any time soon. (though I do have a COVID-interrupted Aero leather coat coming in the near-ish future).

Net: I wonder if not soaking or washing at first offers a quicker path to comfortable.
I’ve got a pair of the new Filson denim (of course I do) and they’re exceptionally comfortable. It was a few weeks of being mildly uncomfortable but now it feels like they were tailored specifically for me. I think that’s what most people like about denim is not only is it tough but it forms to you and becomes unique to your body shape. I did not soak these and never have soaked a pair of denim and have not washed them either (gross) but they have softened up well which would stand by your theory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads