• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IVIozartsGhost

Reaction score
Hey @IVIozartsGhost
Any pics of your FRD bags?
IMG_4887.jpg

Snapped one pic of the briefcase before my better-half wrapped them and put them under the tree. I'll post more pics after the holidays :)

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caring for Mackinaw Wool

Nice article on maintaining mackinaw garments. I especially thought the dryer trick for removing Smokey smell was interesting!
Tumble dryers and wool of any kind scare the hell out of me. Note clearly that the article says the cruiser must be DRY before putting in the dryer!!!
I had a double Mac that had shrunk a bit at some point in its history, and it just didn’t move easily and the sleeves were disproportionately short.

I don’t really understand the fabric properly - I was under the impression that Mac wool was boiled to give it the density? If that’s right then how does subsequently getting it wet and warm drying it cause shrinkage?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone back up the price this seller is charging for a patch? It's just under $200

patchy.PNG

He has some nice stuff but like this, it comes with a hefty price tag, like this. Nothing like paying over $250 for a ballcap

But if your pockets run a little deeper, you can always score this $300 ballcap, if $250 just doesn't scratch that itch.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This week in Otter Green...no really they're all Otter Green, and each one rarer then the next.

As close to a First Edition YKK as it gets. No.238 LOB with some beautiful chestnut leather @TinMan3 I know you like that. Almost thought I struck gold with the No.248, but then I saw the side pocket zipper and sadness ensued. It looks like-new.

LOB.PNG

YKK Era Otter Green No.266 in really great condition. Padded shoulder strap leads me to believe it was built between mid 2009 and early 2010. I had a No.266 built on 1010 which featured Filson-YKK zippers and a padded strap. Insanely low price too.

266.PNG

I'm not sure if this is a MOB or LOB but it is Otter Green and Talon. The leather is sueded and lighter in shade, and the condition is also gently used.

MOB.PNG

Stratkat

Reaction score
We were watching “Grumpy old men” last night Jack Lemmon’s character wears a green packer coat in several scenes, and Matthau wears a matching green packer hat in several as well.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don’t make comedy like that anymore. Alone Walter & Jack were so good, but when together, comedy gold.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these legit Mackinaw Cruisers, maybe exclusive to Japan? Or were they simply modifications made by the original owner? Maybe @old.timers.closet can assist us with his knowledge

No collar No.110

No collar.PNG

Union Made No.16 Forestry Cloth Cruiser with a what I can only describe as a giant handkerchief sewn on the bottom

huh.PNG

Reaction score
Are these legit Mackinaw Cruisers, maybe exclusive to Japan? Or were they simply modifications made by the original owner? Maybe @old.timers.closet can assist us with his knowledge

No collar No.110

View attachment 1516405

Union Made No.16 Forestry Cloth Cruiser with a what I can only describe as a giant handkerchief sewn on the bottom

View attachment 1516406
I'd like to think that the Filson Tokyo Store would not be capable of pushing these out into the world. I mean, some folks may enjoy them, but they don't really seem like Filson Japan designs. I haven't seen these in any of my perusals of the Filson Japan site though there's always the possibility they were a limited edition.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for this crowd.

Does Filson make a tin cloth cruiser (not the short version) in any colors beside tan? I think I’d like one but either in a brown or, more likely, otter green.

do you know?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for this crowd.

Does Filson make a tin cloth cruiser (not the short version) in any colors beside tan? I think I’d like one but either in a brown or, more likely, otter green.

do you know?

Pretty sure this is a Dry Finish Tin Cloth OG Cruiser, it’s vintage though. I’m sure if you patiently search you can find one in much better shape, maybe even NOS...like an incoming surprise I have for you guys.

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for this crowd.

do you know?
I’ve heard tell of black ones but I think they are pretty rare. You could get tan and wax it a lot to darken to nearly brown...

solarfields

Reaction score
Been reading up on this thread for a while; thanks for all the input and opinions! Useful tool when considering new gear. I buy all my stuff new and put it through the ringer myself; not to say there isn't some great looking aftermarket buys out there, just the way I prefer to go about it.

My collection:
  • Soft Sided Cooler - good for travel, storing food/drinks. Probably around 5 yrs old
  • Pullman - the older large (very large) size. This thing will swallow the rest of my collection no problem. Excellent gear bag for longer trips. Always check it when flying; baggage handlers haven't seemed to put a dent in it yet. Around 6 yrs old, but doesn't get heavy rotation due to size
  • Tablet briefcase. Not sure if they are still making it, but it's a good size for everyday lugging computer and a few small items. Around 6 yrs of near daily use (I don't work in the field). I did elect to switch the shoulder straps between this guy and the Pullman; this setup works much better for me and what I use each bag for
  • Dryden dopp kit - perfect combination of lightweight and ability to pack down into a small ball. I personally thought the heavy twill, although a far more beautiful product, would have been too substantial for quick and light packing. 3-4 yrs old; weekly use
  • Large tin cloth tote - newest addition, super as a beach bag (hence the sand) and plan to use as a grocery/market bag as well. Maiden voyage to the Caribbean just last week
Again, thanks to everyone for all the useful information!
cooler1.jpg
cooler2.jpg
pullman1.jpg
pullman2.jpg
pullmanside.jpg
tablet1.jpg
tablet2.jpg
tote1.jpg
tote2.jpg
travelbag.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been reading up on this thread for a while; thanks for all the input and opinions! Useful tool when considering new gear. I buy all my stuff new and put it through the ringer myself; not to say there isn't some great looking aftermarket buys out there, just the way I prefer to go about it.

My collection:
  • Soft Sided Cooler - good for travel, storing food/drinks. Probably around 5 yrs old
  • Pullman - the older large (very large) size. This thing will swallow the rest of my collection no problem. Excellent gear bag for longer trips. Always check it when flying; baggage handlers haven't seemed to put a dent in it yet. Around 6 yrs old, but doesn't get heavy rotation due to size
  • Tablet briefcase. Not sure if they are still making it, but it's a good size for everyday lugging computer and a few small items. Around 6 yrs of near daily use (I don't work in the field). I did elect to switch the shoulder straps between this guy and the Pullman; this setup works much better for me and what I use each bag for
  • Dryden dopp kit - perfect combination of lightweight and ability to pack down into a small ball. I personally thought the heavy twill, although a far more beautiful product, would have been too substantial for quick and light packing. 3-4 yrs old; weekly use
  • Large tin cloth tote - newest addition, super as a beach bag (hence the sand) and plan to use as a grocery/market bag as well. Maiden voyage to the Caribbean just last week
Again, thanks to everyone for all the useful information! View attachment 1516672 View attachment 1516673 View attachment 1516674 View attachment 1516675 View attachment 1516676 View attachment 1516677 View attachment 1516678 View attachment 1516679 View attachment 1516680 View attachment 1516681

Very nice curated collection, and so diverse in color too. Nice having you aboard, welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads