• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
IMG_4709.jpeg

Got out to visit our oldest two daughters the last couple of days, so I took a pic of a couple of my other "babies." ;) (Please excuse the mess; it was in the rush of hotel check-out that I shot this quick photo.)

TanThijs

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a filson related question that I wanted to post here in the hope that you could help me with it.

I have 3 filson bags: a 256 in black, a 256 in black with tweed accents and a 261 tote in otter green. I love the tote for it’s versatility but I also bought the briefcases for more formal occasion. I bought two because 1) I got a little carried away but 2) is got a great deal on the all black one (which I bought after the tweed one) because the strap was missing. It cost equivalent of USD160 while it is basically still new, very stiff, absolutely no sign of wear. Even the zipper pulls are not really set into the knots if you know what I mean. Produced in 2016 according to the label.

The tweed briefcase is used a lot by the precious owner, which means is functions really smooth. Produced in 2012. The twill and leather are nice and supple. The tweed still looks good (although it has not stood the test of time as well as the twill - it’s getting a bit fluffy but no tearing).

One difference in construction I noticed between the bags is that the tweed version does not have the leather strips alongside the zipper.

My question is this: which should I keep? And more specifically will the regular briefcase become as smooth as the tweed one if I just use it enough? Or are the materials different somehow?

I realise a few of you will probably say keep both :-D which I could do but the downside is I get bag anxiety and will feel a need to switch them out every few days or weeks. I would prefer to sell one.

Many thanks for you input!

Thijs.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Keep the tweed one! That was a very limited run and an unusual one in that Filson didn't just produce a bag in a new color - it went out and worked with another company's signature material to create something different.

The Harris Tweed, Sebago and Le Chameau bags, in my opinion, are tops when it comes to a wow factor and Filson. I have yet to see a tweed briefcase in the wild.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a Journeyman with this much patina on it, and it's not even a first edition with rivets. Nor is it the 2nd edition since it has the cotton backstrap over the bridle leather. Love how he states in the description that this Filson helped him start and grow a business...HOW COOL!!!!

Journeyman.PNG

wkt

Reaction score
That just looks like a used backpack, any other brand it would been half-way through its usage life, but for Filson... it is desirable?... I can't believe there is an actual bid on that junky thrift-store-looking bag.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That just looks like a used backpack, any other brand it would been half-way through its usage life, but for Filson... it is desirable?... I can't believe there is an actual bid on that junky thrift-store-looking bag.

New to Filson are we? If I have to explain it to you I don’t think you would understand but here goes nothing. You see a “junky thrift store looking bag” and I see true grit & perseverance. Who’s right and who’s wrong? Neither.

To me that bag (and each Filson for that matter) tells a unique story in a similar way an old leather jacket might. That’s the beauty of Rugged Twill luggage; the way it ages over its life. I digress, but I’d wager more people here might lean towards the latter rather then the former. It is after all a “Filson Thread” so I doubt you would be surprised getting this type of reply. To each their own though.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of old Filson’s

Saw this just now. Even though Alan was head honcho at Filson during the two or three years of very questionable QC issues, he has a nice way with words and held my attention all the way through

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I promise this is not a topic diversion into firearms, as it relates to Filson. Off topic I finally (after 2.5 months) attained my Firearms License and Permits so I was doing a little research. Not sure why I was shocked to see Filson, since like Springfield Armory (and the 1911), it has deep roots into Americana and the foundations of freedom and pursuit.

oh and did I mention its OTTER GREEN!!!!

1911.PNG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To keep it on topic, we need to ID the bag. A Travel Bag, perhaps?

Definitely the LTB which you can tell by several factors. One, it's flapless. Two, it has the D ring on the hand straps. Three, and the most telling, it has a zipper-less exterior side pocket. That would mean it's not the Large Pullman or any of the Outfitters. On closer inspection it appears to be a late model with the padded shoulder strap.

IVIozartsGhost

Reaction score
Definitely the LTB which you can tell by several factors. One, it's flapless. Two, it has the D ring on the hand straps. Three, and the most telling, it has a zipper-less exterior side pocket. That would mean it's not the Large Pullman or any of the Outfitters. On closer inspection it appears to be a late model with the padded shoulder strap.
**Hat tip** Sherlock, is that you?

I like playing the game of "spot and ID the Filson".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads