• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Nice work, A JEDI IM - Right before the craziness happened, I bought myself a medium field bag - bought it locally on FB marketplace. Thought it might be a replacement for my 256 (it was a good deal - too good to pass up). Since that day about 6 months ago, it has been leaning against my home office desk. Unused, uncarried, unloved.

Mocking me.

Well that is certainly a sad state of affairs!

I too have a Medium Field Bag that I had to pick up just after WFH started. It has a very slight musty scent to it so at least I've carried that one out to the patio and the wood pile so that it could air out a bit. The scent isn't really a problem on that one. It's very mild. I plan on one day soon posting up a picture of it. Perhaps for this Filson Friday.

Speaking of scents. I have a baseball cap that I really like. It's canvas and not Filson. I pulled it out of my closet a couple of months ago and it reeks! Must, must, must. So I'm going to experiment with that one a bit. So, thank you mgrennier for your list even though it sounds like none of that is likely to fix it. I really like the hat. It's a very nice momento from an Alaska trip. It's hardly been worn too, dang it.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the perfect cooler for a day in Rocky Mountain National Park with my sons.

filson-IMG_8543-1.jpg

NamelessStream

Reaction score
How long does silica last though? I'll research later. Thanks for forcing my hand to do so.
That's a good question. As fat as I know, silicon dioxide doesn't degrade, so the effectiveness of a bead pack or gel pack is only limited to how much water it can absorb. There should be guidelines on the Internet for how big a container of air can be kept dry by a pack of a given size.

Last edited:

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I hereby initiate all of us into the Brotherhood of the Travelling Bags.

Nah. We already have something more stylish. @OtterMeanGreen what have you dubbed us? Filsonites? Wasn't it you that coined that term? Now, @NamelessStream, if you can incorporate a secret handshake, we might be able to work something out to combine the two.

However, on a serious note, there are plenty of women carrying these bags and I know several are contributors to this thread. So, we should drop the brotherhood part of it.

Maybe we are COST (Consortium of Stylistic Travelers). The abbreviation surely fits. Oh, wait. We aren't traveling much at the moment. Well, Filsonites it is then.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah. We already have something more stylish. @OtterMeanGreen what have you dubbed us? Filsonites? Wasn't it you that coined that term?

You guys have been busy in my absence. It was actually “Filsonado” as in aficionado. Filsonites works also.

You just reminded me of this scene:

B8571FE7-29DD-4584-9186-DE0C548A497D.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads