• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winston2

Reaction score
How difficult would it be to find a pre-2004 257 Otter Green in either new/unused or excellent condition? Impossible?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How difficult would it be to find a pre-2004 257 Otter Green in either new/unused or excellent condition? Impossible?

Well seeing that I was lucky enough to happen upon this when I was originally searching for a Talon Era 256, I’d say your chances are pretty good. We have multiple members on here that sell Filson’s of all sorts; new and old, in all types of conditions. I know one definitely has what you’re looking for, as he was after a Talon Otter Green #257 like mine, and came pretty close too. @Davey13 is his name. He hasn’t contributed to the conversation in awhile but he does still lurk. I have his number and can ask if he’s still looking to part with one. He has 4 Talon Era OG 257’s I believe. Btw when I say Talon Era I’m referring to the first edition Era of the Filson Rugged Twill line (1992-2002/03).

Here’s my practically new mid 1990’s (arguably) Otter Green #257. Note the difference in shade to my other Talon Era Otter Green #246, which appears to be a late 1990’s release.
C16A256F-9675-434D-B5A2-CB9BB14F2751.jpeg

4BFE29F8-9259-430E-8E37-ECDE72E9B200.jpeg

Winston2

Reaction score
Thank you for the helpful information. Both are very nice. It would be great to find a new or practically new Talon Era #257 in either shade of Otter Green. (It sounds like the mid-1990s Talon Era shade is even more rare, and beggars can’t be choosers.) I appreciate you sharing the rare OG color and checking with @Davey13. Thanks again!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went into London today to see how things were in lockdown. I wanted to see what the cycling was like with empty roads.

London is like New York in that there is always a hum of noise and a sense that something is going on. Not today. Silent, empty streets. The big shopping avenues like ghost towns. Very little traffic. Pretty eerie.
2B12B837-302D-46F0-97BF-9B4871921AD1.jpeg

EB4DD448-03DD-46A1-BE90-3825506AE772.jpeg

of course I swung past the Filson store. And discovered it has (per rumor), gone. Now a sad empty shop front, all the branding removed, no trace of having been there:
393B98E0-92D1-40C3-90C6-2B56C43EF627.jpeg

They are still running fine online here, so I guess the rent or location just wasn’t working out. It’s a pity because it’s nice to swing by now and then and look at stuff in person before purchasing.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the helpful information. Both are very nice. It would be great to find a new or practically new Talon Era #257 in either shade of Otter Green. (It sounds like the mid-1990s Talon Era shade is even more rare, and beggars can’t be choosers.) I appreciate you sharing the rare OG color and checking with @Davey13. Thanks again!

It is indeed a rare color as it appears to be a first edition Otter Green, quite possibly called something else (like Olive Drab). The wide release came in the beginning of the 2nd Quarter of 1999 but the color then was labeled as "Otter (Dark Green)". I have only seen a handful of Talon Era Otter Green's in my type of shade that are also in like-new condition. The key here is patience, that is the best attribute to have when searching, especially a discontinued model in the condition that you want. If you don't have that kind of time set aside, then I would recommend expanding your search for a First Edition YKK #257 in OG. I am going to include your future bag in my daily search and will give you a shout if I see anything.

Winston2

Reaction score
It sounds like you were fortunate to find your like-new first edition Talon Era in the unique OG color. The history of the different period bags is interesting. Thanks for the advice. I will have patience and understand that it is not an instant gratification scenario. I’ve been searching, and will continue to search, on eBay. I very much appreciate you including my future bag in your daily search and giving me a shout if you see anything. eBay searches sometimes are overwhelming, two sets of eyes are better than one, and you’re more knowledgeable than I am. Thanks again!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you were fortunate to find your like-new first edition Talon Era in the unique OG color. The history of the different period bags is interesting. Thanks for the advice. I will have patience and understand that it is not an instant gratification scenario. I’ve been searching, and will continue to search, on eBay. I very much appreciate you including my future bag in your daily search and giving me a shout if you see anything. eBay searches sometimes are overwhelming, two sets of eyes are better than one, and you’re more knowledgeable than I am. Thanks again!

It's one of the things that I enjoy spending my time on. I've helped connect more then a few Filson items with some of the members here. Happy to help. I agree though, I was very fortunate in finding one of the best #257 examples that I have ever seen to this day. To think I was merely settling by choosing the #257, as I really wanted a #256, but this one came in my search and I didn't think twice...I just pulled the trigger. I've followed that logic multiple times since then, and it's paid off in spades. I've done so many eBay searches over the past 3 years, honestly if I miss a day I feel like I missed something, so it's like second nature to me by now.

danfilsondill

Reaction score
It's one of the things that I enjoy spending my time on. I've helped connect more then a few Filson items with some of the members here. Happy to help. I agree though, I was very fortunate in finding one of the best #257 examples that I have ever seen to this day. To think I was merely settling by choosing the #257, as I really wanted a #256, but this one came in my search and I didn't think twice...I just pulled the trigger. I've followed that logic multiple times since then, and it's paid off in spades. I've done so many eBay searches over the past 3 years, honestly if I miss a day I feel like I missed something, so it's like second nature to me by now.

I feel like I run “Filson navy bag” in new listings on eBay multiple times a day

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have more navy bags in your collection than do most Filson stores!

Congratulations to @mgrennier for reaching his Distinguished Member status! What’s even more impressive is that Mgrennier has spent all 1,000 posts with us here at our Filson discussion, and that is very cool and i think it shows a dedication to the brand itself. He’s part of a very small club who have also achieved that. There’s always gotta be a first and that was myself, actually posted 2000 times here before exploring other offerings at StyleForum. @Soletrane followed me, then came @speedy611 , and now Mgrennier. Next up is @TinMan3 . Looking forward to seeing that.

I found a great group of guys at Cars We Drive thread, but they are nowhere near as close of a group as we have here. Many of us have met in person and I absolutely love that Filson has brought so many of us together!!

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to @mgrennier for reaching his Distinguished Member status! What’s even more impressive is that Mgrennier has spent all 1,000 posts with us here at our Filson discussion, and that is very cool and i think it shows a dedication to the brand itself. He’s part of a very small club who have also achieved that. There’s always gotta be a first and that was myself, actually posted 2000 times here before exploring other offerings at StyleForum. @Soletrane followed me, then came @speedy611 , and now Mgrennier. Next up is @TinMan3 . Looking forward to seeing that.

I found a great group of guys at Cars We Drive thread, but they are nowhere near as close of a group as we have here. Many of us have met in person and I absolutely love that Filson has brought so many of us together!!
Otter - this is why we have you here! I never would have even noticed my upgraded 'status'.

Does it come with anything special? Bottle of whiskey? Filson sticker?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otter - this is why we have you here! I never would have even noticed my upgraded 'status'.

I’ll tell you what, next time we meetup the cigars are on me buddy

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you get a visitation from the ghost of CC Filson himself....

We are glad to have you around sir! I think you and @soltrane were the first replies to my very first post here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads