• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like eBay seller took my advice and reformatted the subject heading to something a little more noticeable and with a bit more razzle dazzle

Old Listing
fff.PNG

Revised Listing
fffff.PNG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll keep looking, but this is what I'm generally seeing: around $140 for a new modern zippered tote, and around $250 for a Talon-era zippered tote.

Forewarning in regards to Dealzsite. Never trust an eBay listing with only one photo and a stock photo at that. Their prices may be rock bottom low but there have been cases with fakery being passed as a genuine Filson (cough cough BOYT cough cough)

With @GzStudio you're guaranteed an open and honest listing and a product that is exactly as he says it is. No stock photos and a listing description that is specific to each bag. His prices aren't outrageous either, as there are many that have higher prices for lesser quality (I check eBay everyday which is why I know this)

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since someone brought up the zippered tote, I thought I’d post a picture showcasing the “proper” use of this tote.

Headed to a 5 day golf outing tomorrow and filled the 261 with the proper accoutrements.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since someone brought up the zippered tote, I thought I’d post a picture showcasing the “proper” use of this tote.

Headed to a 5 day golf outing tomorrow and filled the 261 with the proper accoutrements.

Let me guess you're gonna use it to make Manhattan's out of?

Edit: as I was writing this up you post the picture.......I know you so well right

I spy Jefferson's Reserve, Old Granddad 114, EHT Small Batch and other goodies

GzStudio

Reaction score
Now, the apparent decrease in quality of leather coming out of the Filson factory over time, I'm not really sure how to defend that. I just hope that it is necessary to keep the cost of these bags in the realm of "reasonable" for consumers and not just to increase profits, but I have no reason to suspect it either way.

I can guarantee you that in no way does it cost Filson $250 to make a single $325 256 original briefcase bag. They are pricing as much as they can get away with for, wait for it, as much profit as possible. My guess is way less than $100 a bag.

They have to pay for R&D on hairy leather bags somehow...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can guarantee you that in no way does it cost Filson $250 to make a single $325 256 original briefcase bag. They are pricing as much as they can get away with for, wait for it, as much profit as possible. My guess is way less than $100 a bag.

They have to pay for R&D on hairy leather bags somehow...

Case in point:

hairy.PNG

bucky0486

Reaction score
Just an FYI, I have a number of brand new Talon Era filson bags at the moment, including zip totes so they do come up from time to time. You have to be ready to pick them up though because they go very fast.

What's your eBay username? I'll add you as a favorite seller.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me guess you're gonna use it to make Manhattan's out of?

Edit: as I was writing this up you post the picture.......I know you so well right

I spy Jefferson's Reserve, Old Granddad 114, EHT Small Batch and other goodies
And Wild Turkey Rye as I like the old school taste of that rye in my Manhattans. Plus Carpano Antica for the vermouth. Not shown: Luxardo cherries, etc.

Plus - that bottle of Jefferson's is signed by the master distiller.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And Wild Turkey Rye as I like the old school taste of that rye in my Manhattans. Plus Carpano Antica for the vermouth. Not shown: Luxardo cherries, etc.

Plus - that bottle of Jefferson's is signed by the master distiller.

Awesome, I remember you telling me that, plus your Makers Mark Bottles signed by Bill Samuels.

Can't go wrong with Luxardo

GzStudio

Reaction score
Haha, I was able to track yours down. I've already added you as a favorite!

I haven't been able to find Tinman's yet.

In all seriousness, if I, or Tinman has anything you (or anyone else reading this) are looking for, it's cheaper for us to sell here than through there, I (won't speak for him) can do better pricing because of just going through paypal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads