• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Funny, I was just thinking the opposite. Holy pissing contest, Batman!

Is it Batman or Filson? Is it pissing or pictures? Too difficult to answer?
But don't merely think the opposite - try to think both for a change.
For example, I know Filson is too busy selling now to deal with my inquiry of repair for my rucksack,
and I know if Filson doesn't sell enough, it will go out of business and many employees will be unemployed.
So I take the advice of that poster above (Give it a rest) - mind you, that doesn't mean I'm resigned.
I check to see what interesting new post about Filson appears here.
Keep calm and carry on!

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it Batman or Filson? Is it pissing or pictures?
But don't merely think the opposite - try to think both for a change.

I vote for none of the above. Either or is far to limiting. Of course if one were to add in the butterfly effect then who knows what possibilities might exist.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I vote for none of the above. Either or is far to limiting. Of course if one were to add in the butterfly effect then who knows what possibilities might exist.

Don't get butterflies in your stomach because you overlooked that your vote is included in both. None of the above is just another opposite. Anf if you forget that you are the voter?

Example:
I get my Filson bag. My Filson bag suffers a hole because the canvas wears out. None of the above interests anybody here except me!

Last edited:

quuz

Reaction score

Anyway, just send them a new email, including photos of the bag and a short explanation. And try to refrain from using absurd metaphors and sarcastic/ironic comments if you can't handle the language properly since it can be very confusing. Then I'm sure they will help you out...

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
Man, my post provoked some weird stuff. Sorry!

I've had my 257 now for a little over a week, and I'm really enjoying it. I think it's gorgeous. And I also dig the tangible quality of the fabric, the hardware, the leather, etc. I sometimes worry about the informality of canvas vice leather, since I often wear suits, but I think it's good enough looking to be ok. Besides, as I mentioned before, I've priced myself out of leather briefcases, meaning I'm too much of a snob to want any of the briefcases I can afford! Dumb? Yeah, maybe. I've sort of done that with a lot of things as a result of frequenting SF and AAAC.

FWIW, I think the next best thing in terms of quality is Duluth Pack. Same durability, but their offerings are, across the board, not nearly as good looking as Filson, and they don't have the same fit and finish. Stitches aren't totally aligned, etc. For many items, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Duluth. But a briefcase needs to be sharp, and the Duluth briefcases just aren't that nice looking. Filson's canvas briefcases are as good as it gets. I have no regrets.

Actually, the only thing that bothers me about the Filson is that I worry I've turned myself into a bit of a cliche now that I'm also wearing a Barbour Beaufort. For the first time in my life, I'm trendy.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No mention of your beloved spouse, so I guess she became enlightened your Filson bag purchase indeed doesn't exploit female and child injustice but supports US employment and decided no longer to object to your striving to beauty? You don't butcher the marital piggy bank. Peace on earth, despite occasional reincarnation too lazy to practice introspection serve "voluntarily" as mediums for pseudopatriotic draft spirit - why don't these frustrated authoritarians instead of playing boot camp guru here get horse therapy?

Last edited:

tim y

Reaction score
"And I also dig the tangible quality of the fabric, the hardware, the leather, etc. I sometimes worry about the informality of canvas vice leather, since I often wear suits, but I think it's good enough looking to be ok. "

I rock my somewhat broken in (2 yrs) 258 to all of my meetings. Suit or no suit, I almost always get a compliment on it. There is always someone in the room who knows what it is and has some story of theirs, or one that they heard from someone about a Filson piece.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No mention of your beloved spouse, so I guess she became enlightened your Filson bag purchase indeed doesn't exploit female and child injustice but supports US employment and decided no longer to object to your striving to beauty? You don't butcher the marital piggy bank. Peace on earth, despite occasional reincarnation too lazy to practice introspection serve "voluntarily" as mediums for pseudopatriotic draft spirit - why don't these frustrated authoritarians instead of playing boot camp guru here get horse therapy?

What is horse therapy? Serious question.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

What is hoiiiiirse therapy? Serious question.

Maybe someone might reflect why on this thread a poster who asks a question must add his intention is "serious"? How many thousands of Japanese juveniles refuse to leave their rooms, isn't there at least one local psychotherapist in Nippon who could advise you? I submitted to concise formulation because the topic here is Filson bags and pictures. Therapy not in the sense I meant as therapy for horses, although if you ask a horse whisperer, perhaps he knows if the horses resent such and feel instrumentalised? By the way, don't you think it's "weird" that Washington DC exhibits more artistic presentations of Signs of the Zodiac than any other city David Ovason knows about, and nobody I asked from DC even heard that about the capital of the United States of America in high school history class? Doesn't everybody where you are know why the flag of Japan shows a rising Sun or the flag of Canada a Maple leaf?

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
aaand another person gets blocked.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe someone might reflect why on this thread a poster who asks a questiin must add his intention is serious? Although. Tens of thousands of Japanese juveniles refuse to leave their rooms, there must be at least one local psychotherapist in Nippon who could advise you. I submitted to concise formulation because the topic here is Filson bags and pictures. Horse threrapy not in the sense I meant it for horses, although if you ask a horse whisperer, perhaps he knows. By the way, don't you think it's "weird" that Wahington DC has more artistic presentations of Signs of the Zodiac than any other city David Ovason knows about, and nobody I asked from DC learned that in high school history class?

I just wanted to indicate to you that it wasn't a loaded question. I rather liked your turn of phrase and I was curious about it. I googled it and found Equine Therapy but I wasn't certain that was what you were referencing. But your comment about psychotherapists would indicate that horse therapy and equine therapy are the same. So, thank you for answering my question.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You're welcome, dear Altersan! (My own question about omissions in high school history books was serious, too.) Such courteous behavior and hygiene of all Japanese I've encountered in America and Europe is certainly an ideal of mine. Sayonara!
PS: Since you recognize synonyms and appreciate my feeble attempts on this thread to do justice to high expectations of Filsonian Old Boys, honorable Altersan, for my case I state I am not unaware e q u i n e has nothing to do with Willard, is an English adjective for of or like a horse, Chambers claims it appeared 1788, but I have been busy checking the history of other words (Owen Barfield) and don't know who introduced it where and why. I'm busy researching other words, for example "quality", coined in ancient Greek by Plato. I didn't want to use horsy, victims of fashion have heard of horseshoe, a symbol of good luck, or seen the cowboy models without something ugly and aggressive in or sprouting from their mouths wearing Filson coats in the Filson catalogs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads