• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share this listing with the group for those not already in the know and to those that are who would like to discuss.

What we have here is a possible First Edition Medium Field Bag No.232. The Buy it Now Price is pretty reasonable too, for this level of well preserved quality.

Filson Medium Field Bag NWT.PNG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just started Yellowstone Season 4 Episode 5 and not more then 3 minutes in and I saw two Filson Luggage sightings. One was a Tan LTB No.248 and the other appeared to be the Rusted Red Nylon Travel Pack (Dopp). Interesting that Filson isn't implementing more of what's currently still for sale and not already discontinued. So far the only in stock luggage item featured on the show, that is still currently for sale, was the Large Tan Duffel carried by Avery near the end of Season 1. Technically speaking the Travel Pack is still for sale on the website, but the color Rusted Red appears to be also discontinued.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As ever @OtterMeanGreen you have an amazing memory. Yes, I’m a fan of minimal and zero drop shoes. I also wear birk Boston clogs in rotation with my redwings. I was for a while a beta tester of some Xero shoes products and I still think their sandals are about the best around.

In one of my occasional “off topic but somehow vaguely relevant for Filson folk with similar tastes, here’s a project I’ve been working on. (Please be gentle @Stratkat!)

This box of bits was acquired for £15

View attachment 1710970

and has become
View attachment 1710972

I’ve never done a guitar before so lots of learning on the electrics, setting the neck, leveling frets etc. Hard to see but the strap is also done by me on a vintage 1940s singer sewing machine that can handle both fabric and the leather ends. Lastly wood turned control knobs in local cherry. All very satisfying. It plays well and sounds good, at least to my untutored ear.

Sorry not to be posting more - busy at work and working at home so the gear doesn’t get as much use as I’d like!

HAHA thanks Speedy. I only remember the things worth remembering. I looked into Xero shoes before settling on Lems, Colorado. What sold me was the company message, their size and location (albeit not made in country). The founder of Xero is where I first learned of minimalist/barefoot footwear; actually probably one of the only 15 minute advertisements I've watched cover to cover.

Guitar is looking great!! Fantastic job.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Now for the big reveal. Keeping in mind I am the furthest thing from the a-typical “hipster”, these sandals will most certainly make the difference where it counts. Now I just have to find a way to assimilate...with my wardrobe

View attachment 1710540

Patina anyone?

View attachment 1710541

BIRKS ARE AMAZEBALLS!!! Balls of pure amaze. Everyone owns a pair here, and they are fantastically comfortable. Just don't get the cork soles saturated; they will disintegrate. If you buy a pair with leather straps you can have them refurbished and fixed onto a new sole once it begins to disintegrate, but unfortunately they do pong once they, uh, patinate. I can smell that pair of tobacco leather Arizonas from here! ?

I have a pair of EVA Madrids as my camp shoes for UL hiking; as super comfy as the originals, ponk-proof, and super UL!

As for hipster style, may I suggest a pair of Filson 1970's Logger Thermal Socks so that you might rock le Socks'n'Stocks style? ??

20075578_GreenBrown_main_01.png

Last edited:

jmiller123

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Filson will be restocking the Tin Cloth Cruiser anytime soon? Looking for a size small but can't find one anywhere

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe I've ever consciously seen one of these alterations listed before with a Filson Style 16 Forestry Cruiser. The cuffs appear to have been reattached.

Style 16 Sleave.PNG

Other then that it's quite a well preserved example.

Style 16 Sleave 2.PNG

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Just started Yellowstone Season 4 Episode 5 and not more then 3 minutes in and I saw two Filson Luggage sightings.

Not surprising for that show but seeing Larry David's large duffle in last night's (current episode) Curb Your Enthusiasm was almost shocking. He must've had it stuffed with tissue paper because those things are heavy empty...

heq206

Reaction score
Does anyone have opinions on the older/discontinued 70153 Original Briefcase that is made of tin cloth and rugged twill? I'm looking at buying one locally that is tan / green, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NR6H2DM

I've had an original 256 briefcase as my daily work bag and a 24-hour as my travel bag. Considering picking up the 70153 original briefcase to use as my daily bag. I think it'll hold up fine since the main core section is made of rugged twill.

Any thoughts and opinions on this bag would be great. I couldn't find much about it online.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Filson will be restocking the Tin Cloth Cruiser anytime soon? Looking for a size small but can't find one anywhere

If you don't mind used, there are a couple in Japan on eBay, and I think the shorter version in a small from the States for a good price.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Does anyone have opinions on the older/discontinued 70153 Original Briefcase that is made of tin cloth and rugged twill? I'm looking at buying one locally that is tan / green, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NR6H2DM

I've had an original 256 briefcase as my daily work bag and a 24-hour as my travel bag. Considering picking up the 70153 original briefcase to use as my daily bag. I think it'll hold up fine since the main core section is made of rugged twill.

Any thoughts and opinions on this bag would be great. I couldn't find much about it online.

That looks awesome!! I much prefer the dark tan of tincloth to the pale tan of twill.

If you buy it and don't like it (or don't buy it in the first place!), please let me know! :D

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can smell that pair of tobacco leather Arizonas from here!

That's really incredible you knew I went with the Tobacco Brown. It was by far my favorite leather finish out of the many offerings from Birkenstock. Good tips on the maintenance side, how often should I be applying the Kelly's Cork Renew?

:lol: yeah I don't think the socks and Birks look is really my thing, however, I was surprised how good I looked in them when first trying on a pair. That's also very interesting to learn how much Australia has embraced the brand, now if they could only get more Americana brands like Filson in the Outback, you'd be in business.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
That's really incredible you knew I went with the Tobacco Brown. It was by far my favorite leather finish out of the many offerings from Birkenstock. Good tips on the maintenance side, how often should I be applying the Kelly's Cork Renew?

:lol: yeah I don't think the socks and Birks look is really my thing, however, I was surprised how good I looked in them when first trying on a pair. That's also very interesting to learn how much Australia has embraced the brand, now if they could only get more Americana brands like Filson in the Outback, you'd be in business.

The Renew just goes on the sides, so simply apply it every time you notice that the sides are no longer shiny, as this means that the original sealant is wearing off. Eventually they'll start to crumble at the edges if they get dry and exposed, or totally saturated, so keep a particular eye on the edge where the footbed meets the side as your feet will naturally wear that part away and it's under most pressure.

Socks + Stocks + longhaul flying = bliss. Easy to sneakily switch out boots for Birks once on the plane if your dignity prevents you walking on in that state. One day I bet you'll do it, and sitting there you'll remember this conversation, and suddenly over the hum of the engines and the wail of the ubiquitous screaming toddler you'll hear me saying, HA! Told you so! ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads