• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Hey, stratkat, what's that little pistol a couple pages back?
.25 colt vest pocket. Circa 1920s, very cool little fella!
990FD7AC-BE3D-48EC-A3B3-AC1C10543B5B.jpeg

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
The duffle is OG. The color definitely shifted a bit after applying the wax.

And right? I guess it makes sense though.. unless you're packing this thing constantly for camping or on the road or something, there wouldn't be much use for it aside from being a check in bag for traveling. And even that is a little impractical. This thing is heavy!
Mine lives in my truck, it is very heavy when loaded, lol!

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
Do any of your wives (or women on here) have filson bags? My wife just made the comment that she should get one, which kind of shocked me. I told her that I have plenty that she could use, but mine are “ugly”(OG,Tan, Brown, Camo, Red, root) ... I guess the navy line has caught her eye. I was thinking of getting her a medium duffle. But maybe the small would be better, as she is 5’ 2”.

Opinions?

CCF1897

Reaction score
Do any of your wives (or women on here) have filson bags? My wife just made the comment that she should get one, which kind of shocked me. I told her that I have plenty that she could use, but mine are “ugly”(OG,Tan, Brown, Camo, Red, root) ... I guess the navy line has caught her eye. I was thinking of getting her a medium duffle. But maybe the small would be better, as she is 5’ 2”.

Opinions?
My wife has used the Navy zippered tote daily for a little over two years. She loves it. She would not try anything else though. The other colors do not interest her.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Opinions?
Mine has a black Nanamica 261 that she uses a lot and likes. She keeps looking at the shirts too but hasn’t yet taken the plunge.

19A15207-2502-403A-A706-8675E98E4192.jpeg

mattand27

Reaction score
That’s right I had a knife reveal that I completely forgot to reveal. So without further delay I give you.......................

The Blank Canvas:

Spyderco Para 3 with S30V Steel

The Tools:

Spent almost as much time researching the right Torx set then the Knife itself. In the end I went with the famed German Wiha, a staple in the blade community.

The Parts (or paint if you will). Wanted a good work station so I went with TEKMAT, the design is similar to another project I’m working on, but more on that later.

Spent $80 on these custom water-milled OD Green Linen Micarta Scales, worked with the craftsman on where I wanted the pocket clip holes, so I’d have a cleaner look.

Never disassembled a knife before, so I tried preparing myself as much as possible with plenty of University Youtube. Even after that it was still a learning curve with several surprises and Head scratchers, like a free-spinning back spacer I had to figure out a way around with only one Torx set. Ordered a 2nd driver and bit for future maintenance disassembling

This was the biggest issue, and the reason the build took so long. The lanyard tube in the Para 3 (and Paramilitary 2) has an incredible tight tolerance to it, so removing it took some patience. I didn’t want to crack the G10 factory scales so I needed to slowly back it out using a method I learned from the Scale Builder.

I now give you the finished build, a dream realized from imagination to reality

I decided on removing the black hardware and offering a little contrast with a satin stainless hardware kit, along with something else that really makes this a true one of a kind. An ACP .45 Lanyard Stud Casing

The goal was to get this build under a retail priced Chris Reeve Small Sebenza with Micarta. I was able to do just that ($135 under budget) and the end result is something truly unique and I guess you could say “Bespoke” (even though I hate that word).
Nice build. Green micarta (linen or canvas) is probably my favorite handle material. I've always liked the compression lock on the Paramilitary knives. The .45 casing lanyard stud is a nice touch.

By the way, the lanyard tube is so hard to remove because they flare the ends at the factory to keep it from moving or rattling in its hole. It looks like you did a great job removing it without damaging anything.

thewinedown

Reaction score
Does anyone have some real world photos of the sepia twill? Google doesn't come up with much, and the stock photos from Filson just look like a tan in different lighting to look a little darker (which maybe is exactly all it is). I know it's essentially OG with patina, but I'd love to see some true photos in natural lighting, with patina, etc. Thanks.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some real world photos of the sepia twill? Google doesn't come up with much, and the stock photos from Filson just look like a tan in different lighting to look a little darker (which maybe is exactly all it is). I know it's essentially OG with patina, but I'd love to see some true photos in natural lighting, with patina, etc. Thanks.
Sepia is more of a dark tan, root is the color that is an “aged OG”.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my education, when did Filson make sepia twill and for which bags? Thanks.
To my knowledge the only bags ever made with Sepia twill we’re the 261 zip tote and 260 open tote. They were experimenting with a bunch of different colors like natural and Mack red and sepia there for a while. Mack red was the only one that they made the duffle in for non workshop bags.

thewinedown

Reaction score
To my knowledge the only bags ever made with Sepia twill we’re the 261 zip tote and 260 open tote. They were experimenting with a bunch of different colors like natural and Mack red and sepia there for a while. Mack red was the only one that they made the duffle in for non workshop bags.

Is this the same for the root color? Just 260 and 261?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads