• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Feel like Cheaping Out on Shoe Trees...

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering how ridiculously expensive everything is here in Australia, I'm thinking about going ghetto on shoe trees: Plastic shoe trees and throw in a few packs of desiccants into the shoe (or maybe some rice). Not sure how other Australian members went with importing shoe trees, knowing how completely anal Australian quarantine is about this stuff. Thoughts?

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
blahman,

I ordered a pair of expanding shoe trees about (GBP16) along with a pair of shoes from Herring Shoes and somehow, it doesn't seem to be an issue as I received them in 3 days. This is assuming that they do x-ray the stuff even if they're shipped via UPS.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've ordered several pairs of cedar shoe trees from eBay and have never had any problems at all with customs/quarantine. Because they are heavy, shipping costs are not cheap, but they still end up being far cheaper than the shoe trees sold here by Florsheim, David Jones and so on that are not as good.

I'd definitely recommend looking for some sets on eBay rather than getting plastic ones.

Yika

Reaction score
IIRC one of the aussie member was proxying them some time back. Got 2-3 pairs from him.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by "Style Guru"
How much are cedar trees in Australia? From the way people are talking it's like they're worth their weight in gold

As blahman notes, most places charge $35 - $40 and more for them, and yet they're often not as nice as the "Costco" style ones that people were apparently picking up in the US for something like $20 for a box of two pairs.

Hence, even despite the high shipping costs for a box full of pieces of cedar and metal, it's often considerably cheaper to buy a few pairs from eBay or somewhere similar.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 48 28.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 38 22.2%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 14 8.2%