• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facebook: Yay or Nay?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
I hate it.

specially now that they own all the information and pictures and such you put on there.

ppl rely on it too much.

they've since backed down from that stance. rather quickly, I might add.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your precious life on it.

If that is not convincing enough reason, consider this: Everything that you post on Facebook belongs to them and will remain online for as long as they determine. Even after you delete your profile it will remain online accessible to everyone.

Internet is the biggest enemy of your privacy.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
If you keep a facebook or a Myspace page, and you intend to post your correct and real name make sure that when it shows up in a Google search that its nothing that a prospective employer will find offensive. .
It's pretty easy to set it up so only your friends can view your profile. I don't know many people who have their profile set so anyone can view it.
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
I hate it. specially now that they own all the information and pictures and such you put on there.
Not true, they changed it back to the way it was...

TowleY

Reaction score
I like it, but im starting to wein away from it. I actually found someone who has the same name as me (Bryan Tamburro) and he has a brother named Justin Tamburro just like me lol. Its really weird. In 40 years theyl be getting my retirement money

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited

Not true, they changed it back to the way it was...

when I posted they had not reversed it.
laugh.gif

at any rate, i still despise it and wish it would lose its hype like friendster/myspace

and ppl go back to doing something else. I ignore people when they talk about what they did on facebook, and these notes.. really? notes notes notes

huy

Reaction score
Depends how many people you know on facebook. If you don't have a lot you're not going to go on often.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Join. Its loads of fun and you guys can add me as a friend. Just pm me first.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go on it daily. Sometimes, it's just really nice to talk to people and catch up with one another. I don't like to burn any bridges with old friends, so it is a good way to keep contact. I would recommend it if all your friends are there. Although, I would make it a point to keep it a private profile.

samblau

Reaction score
I like it use it daily. My college years were at the tail end of the social networking site craze. I limit access to friends/friends of friends and simply don't add any of the annoying applications. I occasionally deny friend requests, usually from people I did not like way back when or people I only meet randomly once.

ArtisticShowcase

Reaction score
I use it daily and used to post pictures that would be frowned upon by any employer. Then my internship boss friended me, then my oldest cousins did, then my aunt, then my own mother (I frown upon her using it).

Now my Facebook page is G rated.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I resisted Facebook for a long time until a friend invited me and I couldn't say no. Since joining last year, it's basically become the hub of my social life. I've connected with friends from as far back as high school and friends from college with whom I'd lost touch. When I was back in the States during the summer, I was able to get together with one of my best friends from high school whom I hadn't seen in over 20 years.

It doesn't take up a lot of my time.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I signed up recently. I mostly added people from boarding school, very few from university. I've hardly used it since i added people except to meet up with an old buddy when i went to toronto. i'll probably post pics/updates from south america while i am down there. i don't understand people that spend hours and hours and hours on it though...

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I resisted it for a long time but have since joined. I don't take it too seriously, maybe on there once every couple of days. Certainly don't post pictures or status updates and my profile is probably the cleanest you'll come across.

Goot to reconnect with old friends that you've just lost touch with for various reasons (it has been especially good for keeping in touch with my friends that are overseas).

Also good to find out a bit more about some of the members here by joining the SF group.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roomweev