• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facebook: Yay or Nay?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Biggest draw to me is that I can keep in touch with old friends and relatives scattered around the world. I have a couple of sisters in North America, cousins in Australia, friends I haven't seen and its great to have at least some communication with them, since as much as you want to interact with them personally there is really no time to do it.

I also like Tokyo Slim's posted photos there.

Originally Posted by Lady Canuker
I mass delete every 6-8 weeks. If I can't think why you are on my list you aren't anymore.

Please don't delete me...
confused.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I've found it a good way to reconnect with people you haven't seen in awhile.

Ditto. Lots of HS friends are there. Our upcoming reunion was spurred by all the reconnecting that has gone on. I also keep up with former students on it. Everyday current friends I talk to via email for phone.

Mostly it's for fun. I'm not overly obsessed with it (don't have any features on it; ignore most of those weird "So-and-so wants to send you a ___" or whatever they are requests. I have taken to sharing NYTimes articles on it though.

b

Lady Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Please don't delete me...
confused.gif

lol8[1].gif
I have a special list for SFers so you're safe...

for now...
patch[1].gif

Tardek

Reaction score
Don't do it, there are so many reasons you might regret it later.

Soooooooooooooo many.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
Don't do it, there are so many reasons you might regret it later.

Soooooooooooooo many.

So many reasons to regret putting a profile on Facebook? I doubt any adult person has too much to worry about. For starters, it wouldn't be his only form of communication with current friends (unlike some younger people who rely on high tech means to stay in touch). Further, he's not likely to post pictures of himself partying and drunk, etc.

The worst you have to face will be the annoying requests to add features to your profile. I ignore them.

b

The_Rover

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste your time. You will spend the first 100 hours on it finding your current friends, then people from college, then high school. It will seem exhilarating at first, catching up with all of them, seeing who married whom, who moved where blah blah blah...

Then the people you couldn't stand will find you. So will the people that you met once. Then the people you don't know. Before you know it all you are getting are updates on people you don't care about. Chances are you will get all the information on your real friends via a personal method before you see it on Faceblog.

Do yourself a favor and avoid it at all costs.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Rover
I wouldn't waste your time. You will spend the first 100 hours on it . . .

100 hours??!!
wow.gif

It would take me at least the next 5 years to come anywhere near logging that amount of time on FB.

Don't blow this thing out of proportion. It can be a useful tool. For example, thanks to taking a chance on accepting from people I didn't know but who had friends in common, I now have my finger on the pulse of some of the best parties in Tokyo at any given time.

So far, I have yet to see any downside to FB.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

for now...
patch[1].gif

Is that your pic in your avatar or did you snatch it from somewhere?
inlove.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

for now...
patch[1].gif

I promise I won't superpoke you, throw you a chicken, or enlist you in mob wars.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like it for finding old friends, quickly touching base with current ones, and occasionally interacting with people I can stand not to see very often. A lot of people abuse it, though, using it as a forum to air their dirty laundry and be all woe-is-me. Then again, those sorts of people will find a way to do that in virtually any situation or forum.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I promise I won't superpoke you, throw you a chicken, or enlist you in mob wars.

I will admit that the endless requests are kind of annoying. There's usually a SKIP button rather than being forced to invite 25 friends or whatever. I try to find that option, but if I can't I often just don't worry about my result because finding out which Superhero or which Character from the Breakfast Club really isn't all that important.

Lady Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I will admit that the endless requests are kind of annoying. There's usually a SKIP button rather than being forced to invite 25 friends or whatever. I try to find that option, but if I can't I often just don't worry about my result because finding out which Superhero or which Character from the Breakfast Club really isn't all that important.

They have the Report Forced Invites link which is great. I try to make sure I only send stuff to friends who actively use the same app, I'm sure I slip up once in a while but I do try.

Lady Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Is that your pic in your avatar or did you snatch it from somewhere?
inlove.gif

lol8[1].gif

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Christ, NO! 1000x no.

And the Latitude thing ! Why TF would I want to be pinpointable at any time? Big Brother Creep. Good for teenagers, maybe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics