1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Facebook: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Maharlika, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^ Thomas-- I didn't know you can 'de-friend' a member once they're on your list. I'm fascinated. Facebok has been on the news the past couple of days.

Ohhh, yeah. I have one friend who's relentless about culling her friend-list. She had a bunch of high school 'friends' add her, and one day she realized that...nothing's really changed - she still hates them all. So she went whacking them off his list, one after the other. I guess if you're indifferent to or really dislike somebody after all those years...hurting their e-feelings isn't really going to matter all that much. No word on whether any of them tried to re-add her, though.

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

We went out to dinner with my wife's oldest friend last week. The friend kept going on and on about the children their old high school acquintences had, who had gotten divorced, blah blah blah. She even offered to forward pictures to my wife. I was crying inside the entire time. I always figured that if I really wanted to stay in touch with people, I would have.

I know someone who never jolts down phone numbers, if the person is worth it he says he'll remember the #. So there are various degrees of desired connectedness. I don't use facebook but I do have an account, fuck that shit.

3. Lady Canuker

Lady Canuker Senior member

Ohhh, yeah. I have one friend who's relentless about culling her friend-list...

I mass delete every 6-8 weeks. If I can't think why you are on my list you aren't anymore.

4. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

If you keep a facebook or a Myspace page, and you intend to post your correct and real name make sure that when it shows up in a Google search that its nothing that a prospective employer will find offensive.

I always Google applicants and have found some really strange things on FB or MS pages which were immediate deal breakers.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I find facebook fun. I got most of my "friends" while in college and accumalating friends was cool. Now I keep in touch with maybe 1/10 of people on my friends list. But I still enjoy it.

Too bad I've been locked out of my account for the past month (their customer service is a joke).

Re FIHTies: No doubt, be very careful about the pictures and bits of information you post on your profile (or you are tagged to in case of photos). Your information placed on facebook is public information (even if your profile is private), so I will advise against placing anything on your profile that you wouldn't want in the public domain.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15974...hats_next.html

6. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

I enjoy it, mostly because I've talked to people I haven't seen in a long time; and it's also convenient for keeping in touch with flight crew friends that I don't know where they are. They can respond to my messages at their leisure.

Overall a neat thing, but some people abuse it.

7. milosz

milosz Senior member

Joining Facebook put me in touch with my closest friend, who I hadn't seen in six years and we've gotten closer than ever (you drive a girl to terminate a pregnancy, she loves you forever...). So cheers to them for that.

30 invitations to accept a fucking drink from people I barely fucking know - fuck that shit.

8. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Senior member

I hate it.

specially now that they own all the information and pictures and such you put on there.

ppl rely on it too much.

9. freefinancialadvice

freefinancialadvice Senior member

Never joined.

My mother has since joined, and now I know that Facebook's time has come.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I hate it.

specially now that they own all the information and pictures and such you put on there.

ppl rely on it too much.

they've since backed down from that stance. rather quickly, I might add.

11. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Don't waste your precious life on it.

If that is not convincing enough reason, consider this: Everything that you post on Facebook belongs to them and will remain online for as long as they determine. Even after you delete your profile it will remain online accessible to everyone.

Internet is the biggest enemy of your privacy.

12. suited

suited Senior member

If you keep a facebook or a Myspace page, and you intend to post your correct and real name make sure that when it shows up in a Google search that its nothing that a prospective employer will find offensive. .
    It's pretty easy to set it up so only your friends can view your profile. I don't know many people who have their profile set so anyone can view it.
    I hate it. specially now that they own all the information and pictures and such you put on there.
    Not true, they changed it back to the way it was...

13. TowleY

TowleY Senior member

I like it, but im starting to wein away from it. I actually found someone who has the same name as me (Bryan Tamburro) and he has a brother named Justin Tamburro just like me lol. Its really weird. In 40 years theyl be getting my retirement money

14. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Senior member

Not true, they changed it back to the way it was...

when I posted they had not reversed it.[​IMG]

at any rate, i still despise it and wish it would lose its hype like friendster/myspace

and ppl go back to doing something else. I ignore people when they talk about what they did on facebook, and these notes.. really? notes notes notes

15. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Creeps the shit out of me.

16. JayGodfreyGal

JayGodfreyGal Member

I'd say join...just keep your profile private. Then it's no biggie, life goes on.

17. huy

huy Senior member

Depends how many people you know on facebook. If you don't have a lot you're not going to go on often.

18. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Join. Its loads of fun and you guys can add me as a friend. Just pm me first.

19. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

I go on it daily. Sometimes, it's just really nice to talk to people and catch up with one another. I don't like to burn any bridges with old friends, so it is a good way to keep contact. I would recommend it if all your friends are there. Although, I would make it a point to keep it a private profile.