• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Exposed rivets

mr bunbury

Reaction score
So I just scratched the bejeesus out of a hardwood chair by sitting on it in a new pair of NdG raw gray jeans with exposed rivets. In jeans vs. chair, I guess the jeans won.

Is there any easy way to de-claw exposed rivets? Or any sensible way to cover them, besides duct tape? I can't be the only one who's done this....

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick google search came up with this, on how to remove/replace rivets.

Often my spouse finds wonderful vintage jeans that don't quite fit. I had been afraid to attempt to remove the pocket rivets, as I wasn't sure if I could get them back on. I recently purchased a Dot Snapper Tool Kit on ebay, and it has been a dream tool.

The tools I used to remove the rivets are simple household tools. A pair of pliers, a flat head screwdriver an awl to put in the new rivet hole.

1. Insert the flat head screwdriver in between the back of the rivet and tap the screwdriver once or twice to loosen the rivet's grip.

2. Use the pliers to pry the rivet top separate from the bottom of the rivet. It doesn't take too much force.

3. If either the top or the bottom of the rivet is warped, you can use the pliers to straighten it back out.

4. Take in the jeans as necessary - not so much that you have to take in the waistband. Re apply the top stitching next to the pockets.

5. Use the awl & hammer to put in the new rivet holes. Place the jeans on top of a phone book and then use the awl to hammer a hole in the jeans where you will be putting in the rivet.

6. Use the flathead screwdriver to push the jeans around the rivet to make as much of the rivet stem visible as possible.

7. Place the top part of the rivet on the rivet stem and using the dot snapper rivet tool to cover the rivet "cap". Make sure the back of the rivet is on a hard flat surface (I used a dumbbell). Hammer the rivet into place, making sure the fabric is held tight.
If you replace them, I would suggest getting the flattened, round rivets, similar to those 5ep uses. Or just don't replace them at all... I doubt it would hurt the integrity of the jeans that much, considering rivets come off cheap jeans all the time, and they don't fall apart. Keep in mind, this is not based out of my own experience though, so results may or may not vary.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my bar is all kinds of fucked up for that same reson. Its just adds character

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The appeal of hidden rivets does not become apparent until you've scratched up your mother's furniture.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
The appeal of hidden rivets does not become apparent until you've scratched up your mother's furniture.

Or the paint on your car when you lean against it.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
Or the paint on your car when you lean against it.
OUCH that would not be pleasant.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 142 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%