1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Experience with Executive Custom Tailors?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by llcooljayce, May 30, 2012.

1. llcooljayce

llcooljayce Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Anyone have any experience with Executive Custom Tailors (www.executivecustomtailors.com)? They are offering a Groupon right now for $399 for $1,114 worth of suit, shirt and tie.

Before anyone gets all uppity about MTM suits, I know the risks ... just wondering if any has ever dealt with them and their experiences.

Thanks

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

This will be crap.

Have you searched for them here - the likely fact is that you will not find the which will give you your answer.

3. buzzron

buzzron Well-Known Member

Nope, never heard of them here. Well, there's always google.

4. lysandar

lysandar Senior member

Thank you for your precious inputs, [insert random name][insert random number].

5. saiyar1

saiyar1 Senior member

It's a little suspicious that the two people praising joined the forum in the last few days, but who knows. Anyway, I think you can mitigate a lot of the issues with unknown tailors if you are the assertive type who can really go through every single detail of the suit and make sure they are very clear on your preferences. Bringing pictures help a lot too. Some would probably argue that it defeats a lot of the reason why you'd go to a tailor since what kind of a tailor needs to be "forced" to make a "good" suit. Ehh well it's probably the tradeoff for getting a lower price. If you are not very knowledgable about suits and your own tastes, then steer clear.

6. browne78

browne78 Member

I think thats putting it fairly politely [​IMG]

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

There is nothing suspicious about it, these two and the OP are merely trying to advertise this firm, may even be the same person. it is quite unlikely that TWO newcomers will be so satisfied with a firm that has NEVER been mentioned on here before.

Hopefully no one will fall for this crap.

8. Keough1206

Keough1206 Member

Under their guarantee, they claim to have yet to make a remake for any of their customers. To me, this doesn't say that their measurements/tailor is perfect but rather that those purchasing MTM items will have a difficult time dealing with customer service/returning an item in the event that there is problem. And let's face it, there will always be issues ordering MTM online, even if you are being measured in person.

They mention "premium material" a number of times but I see little explanation on the site. No idea where and under what circumstances the suits are actually made.

Suit models look very Indochino-esque.

Also, is it me or do the shirts/pocket squares match exactly on the home page? Pretty classless, no?

9. comrade

comrade Senior member

The very name "Executive" is a bad sign.

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Yeh.

Contactable via anonymous email only, Domain registered with anonymous Godaddy proxy.

This is bad.

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

No, but it is as has been said, that TWO new members turn up at the same time to praise an unheard of tailor...Think about it.

12. GBR

GBR Senior member

That is simply naive. When you have been a member for some time you will learn of the disasters that have afflicted all to many who have gone for MTM online. "Adjustments" have included remaking as the suit simply does not even fit or resemble the measures supplied or tailors that simply ignore the problem.

Online MTM can be described gamble - with the odds against the buyer - at the most polite.

13. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

You're absolutely right. Though you've only been here for 7 seconds and haven't posted any detailed info or pictures I decided to throw caution to the wind and have faith in my fellow man.

I've ordered twenty suits. :slayer:

I can't wait for my sartorial masterpieces to arrive. :fonz:

Thanks bub.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  14. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Well let us know how you get on... remember, pics or it never happened.

Myself, I'm not in the habit of handing over large sums of money to complete strangers in hotel rooms.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  15. crazieness

crazieness New Member

I was googling them and this thread showed up so I thought I'd check to see if anyone end up trying them out? Any reviews on the product quality and overall experience? They posted a suit + shirt + tie deal for $399 on Kijiji Daily Deals and are coming at the end of July.

Overall I'm not buying what their guarantee is selling. First, they haven't had to re-make one suit. They must be really good if that is the case, or maybe people are having a hard time getting a hold of them, afterall there is no phone number or mailing address listed on their website. I know quite a few people who had their Indochino suit's remade, and I've had heavy alterations made to a Maxwells suit. It's nice that Executive gives you the option to take the suit to a tailor of your choice to have any defects fixed, but as a repayment, they will give you upto a $50 credit towards your next purchase... what if you don't want to order from them again?

Also, I understand that this is a fairly new company, but I'd expect that there would have been more reviews on the WWW for them....

At this point my gut is saying stay away, but hopefully someone can reply back with legit reviews...

16. Les Driver

Les Driver New Member

I bought the Groupon promotion for the 3 shirts qand 3 ties for $199.00 Went to the Westin in Edmonton for the fitting only to find the date was changed to a week later. Returned the following week and still no Executive Tailors. Phoned Groupon and they refunded the full amount plus an additional bonus for my hassle. Thank you Groupon. Executive Tailors sucks!

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

So did you get your suit then? Let's see some pictures. prove to me and the forum that I'm wrong.

I see someone else has just posted "Executive Tailors sucks!".

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  18. Simon at Elite

Simon at Elite Senior member

No remakes ever? As the owner of an online MTM site I'd love to know their secret as would anyone else in the business. It obvious that they are outsourcing their tailoring to one of the Asian suit factories (did you note there was no mention of the suit canvas used anywhere on the site. Want to bet that means it's fused?) and I can tell you from experience that even if the measurements are spot on mistakes still happen. Even at the ones with CAD patterns and laser cutting it's still only as good as the data punched into the computer and there is still much room for human error between the time the customer walks into the store to the time the factory starts making the suit. Having your measurement taken by a tailor is no guarantee either and some of our problem suits we have made have come from measurements taken by a tailor. I'm tending to agree more with your comments on customer service.

The swatches of their "premium wool" tends to look suspiciously similar to the basic generic wool we use on our budget suits. If ( and I say "if" as I can't be absolutely sure) this is the case then for a $399 suit it's a good wool but I certainly wouldn't pay their standard website price of $999 for it.

Which brings me to my gripe with sites like Groupon and their ilk. While I speak for an online MTM tailoring perspective I'm sure it relates equally to other products. To say that you're selling garments worth $1,114 for $399 is treating the customer as an idiot. Five seconds research would tell you that you can easily buy something similar for around the same $399 price at any number of places. As for their $999 suit price, you can get a lot of suit online for $999 and certainly far superior that what's in the Groupon offering. I won't provide a link to our website but if you're that interested try googling "Clissold wool" and you find my musings on a blog post but there are many more websites offering very good suits at prices around the $999 mark or just over. Here's just one example that's not mine

http://suitupshop.com/category/fabric-selection-2/

There's a difference between saying if you went to say a bespoke tailor you would pay "x" amount for something similar to what we charge "y" amount for. The customer is then in a position to judge if the bespoke tailor is offering a improved service and a better final product for the "x" amount they charge. Saying that the product is worth three times what we're charging for it amounts to much more than simple marketing. If I had paid $999 for my suit and saw the same company selling the same suit for $399 I'd be demanding a fair chunk of my money back.

19. Leonardly

Leonardly New Member

Well, I just signed up here and can assure you am not a spokesperson for Executive Custom Tailors. Just wanted to share my experience to date.

I too responded to the Groupon and attended a fitting. It's been just over a month now so haven't received the product but don't expect it for a few more weeks anyway. I actually have not had any contact hence the reason I did a Google search while killing time earlier.

I've had over a dozen suits and several blazers plus countless shirts custom made for me from a now retired local tailor who ordered suits from Montreal and shirts from Hong Kong. I am particular about my suits and very familiar with the process.

I arrived at the hotel for the Executive fitting and found it was a combo sleeping quarters/showroom for the 2 guys- not a hospitality suite. Basically had to wait in line on a chair looking into the bathroom. They had a fair selection of ties, cufflinks and pocket squares. Pretty decent selection of suit fabric too but rather basic shirt fabric collection. I was surprised to discover they have a one-price-for-all model even though the fabric I chose was considerably superior to many of the other choices. One of the fellows took measurements while the other sat (feet on the bed) entering data into a laptop- a very laidback but not very professional atmosphere. The measurement process was quite thorough but frankly nothing that one couldn't learn off the internet. He did seem that he knew what he was doing, however. No real discussion about styles or details so I had to bring them up. They were accommodating with all requests but didn't really offer suggestions in cut or drape. The one taking the measurements did pick out some great fabrics, though. Another upsell was a selection of snazzy jacket liners. It was clear from discussion that the lads are very new to the business, almost as if it was a side business.

There were 2 jacket samples on the bed which I took a close look at. Firstly, they were not pressed so looked like they just came out of a briefcase- and this was at the end of the day! Surprising amount of detailing in the armholes and inside pockets, decent structure in the sleeves. I did not take photos to share but if they were a representation of the actual product I would be quite pleased. It's pretty clear they are not $2000 suits either. They are made in China at an unnamed factory so who knows?

To me, its an experiment. I was willing to spend $399 because I felt (feel) that even if it's junk (or a scam), the risk was minimal. I will happily snap photos and report back once received- IF received!!

20. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Did you manage to leave the hotel bedroom with both kidneys? It's just that I heard a rumour that they're not actually selling you a suit, they're really harvesting human organs for export to China. As long as you're not missing a couple of days and have no mysterious marks of recent surgery, you should be OK.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012