• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expensive Suits - Can anyone tell

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I responded to the OP, Reeves commented on my answer, I responded to Reeves comment on my answer to the OP..... the chain goes back to the original Q

That's being a little misleading. He responded to a specific point you made about fit, not the broader question of whether or not someone can tell if your suit is expensive. You seem to be either not completely understanding the point he was trying to make, or perhaps are not expressing yourself effectively. Either way you are shooting past the mark with your arguments.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great minds think alike. No Man's Sky finally downloaded on my PC so I can play tonight. About time as I paid for the #$%! thing months ago.

I do prefer just bumping into these forums anyway.

Let me know how it is. I'm thinking of getting it, but I don't know if ti will draw me away from the new DLC for Fallout 4.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I responded to the OP, Reeves commented on my answer, I responded to Reeves comment on my answer to the OP..... the chain goes back to the original Q

I agree with you that the better fitting suit is the best one irrespective of brand or price. I'm just trying to make a point that achieving a good fit for a maker whether its bespoke or off the rack often costs real time and treasure and logically this has to be passed onto the end user and it is usually.

People on the forum often to talk about "fit" as if it costs nothing to achieve unlike more easily tangible things like cloth. If that Tom Ford suit was slapped together in a fraction of the time you can bet it would fit you even worse.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ha, I thought this forum and video games are part of the research aimed at original contribution to science....

lol I do have pretensions of being a style historian in what I assume will be the rare moments of respite from more "serious" pursuits. So yeah, I guess this could constitute a kind of research.

Last edited:

Astaroth

Reaction score
I agree with you that the better fitting suit is the best one irrespective of brand or price. I'm just trying to make a point that achieving a good fit for a maker whether its bespoke or off the rack often costs real time and treasure and logically this has to be passed onto the end user and it is usually.

People on the forum often to talk about "fit" as if it costs nothing to achieve unlike more easily tangible things like cloth. If that Tom Ford suit was slapped together in a fraction of the time you can bet it would fit you even worse.
And as previously said, on that point that fit takes time and thus cost we agree 1,000% percent (ignoring the very lucky few who happen to be that slightly odd shape that an off the shelf item has been designed to fit).

Thankfully from my point of view, unfortunately from other people's point of view including my wife's, not all people's time is considered equal and many cutters and coatmakers etc dont charge the per hour rate as Marketing Directors or big 4 consultancies

On Tom Ford, to be perfectly honest, if their quality was worse then actually arguably it would look better on me. Bad fit in a cheap suit is a pity, bad fit in a really expensive suit is close to being a crime

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And as previously said, on that point that fit takes time and thus cost we agree 1,000% percent (ignoring the very lucky few who happen to be that slightly odd shape that an off the shelf item has been designed to fit).

Thankfully from my point of view, unfortunately from other people's point of view including my wife's, not all people's time is considered equal and many cutters and coatmakers etc dont charge the per hour rate as Marketing Directors or big 4 consultancies

On Tom Ford, to be perfectly honest, if their quality was worse then actually arguably it would look better on me. Bad fit in a cheap suit is a pity, bad fit in a really expensive suit is close to being a crime

Oh big 4 consultancies do not really charge per hour, they rather figure out how much they need and how much they can charge, and then work out the hours backward. Same goes for lawyers

Astaroth

Reaction score
Oh big 4 consultancies do not really charge per hour, they rather figure out how much they need and how much they can charge, and then work out the hours backward. Same goes for lawyers

That may be how both work out the hourly rate to charge but they do roughly charge by the hour..... though if the hours start coming in massively over what they anticipated they may decide not to charge for certain hours. In the past I've had law firms that had both a partner and senior associate at a meeting but they only charge for the associates rate etc.

Ironically as the client, at the times they start waiving the hours I've not cared about the price as it'd never dent the business case and when they've been billing down to the minute is when the business case was shaky and I need to save every cent I can

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Depends on the engagement. My practice charges by the hour with a discount from the standard rate/hour. Most others are what you describe.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That may be how both work out the hourly rate to charge but they do roughly charge by the hour..... though if the hours start coming in massively over what they anticipated they may decide not to charge for certain hours. In the past I've had law firms that had both a partner and senior associate at a meeting but they only charge for the associates rate etc.

Ironically as the client, at the times they start waiving the hours I've not cared about the price as it'd never dent the business case and when they've been billing down to the minute is when the business case was shaky and I need to save every cent I can

I'm not just making it up, I used to work for one of them.

Astaroth

Reaction score
I'm not just making it up, I used to work for one of them.
Didnt say you are making it up but that it is more complex.

I am not in the top 400 consultancies let alone the big 4 but still vary the hourly rate I charge based on a number of factors including those you mentioned.

recentgrad

Reaction score
@recentgrad I'm curious if you plan on posting the brand / price of your examples.

Top - Brooks brothers 1818/$1000
Middle - Brunello Cucinelli/$3500
Bottom - Calvin Klein at Macys/$320 at existing sale or $650 at inflated MSRP

theplayerking

Reaction score
Will anyone be able to tell how cheap or expensive the suit that you're wearing is? By cheap, I'm still thinking of something at least 100% wool.

To laypeople, quality suits have what the French call, “je ne sais quoi.” They don’t “know” what makes it special, but they sense it. I think people notice the drape and movement. Cheap suits are very stiff and only look good in photographs. Once you start to move, they buckle, bunch and betray their fused construction. It’s particularly noticeable while seated at a conference or dinner table.

At risk of being grandiose, when properly fitted, a quality suit has an elegant serenity in the way it conforms to the body that people notice. In my completely unscientific poll, my more expensive suits get more compliments.

It also depends on industry and geography. If you work in finance in Manhattan, the quality of your suit will be noticed.

Whether it is worth is to you, is another question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads