• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EW's 25 greatest "active" film directors.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
M.Night Shalamyan.

I think he'd make great movies if he could either learn to take some constructive criticism or only direct other people's scripts.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
In serious or in jest? I actually like a couple of his movies. But I cannot take them seriously.
Seriously in jest. His films go from average to abortive. --- What about Wes Anderson? Whimsical as his films may be, they are also artful.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Gaspard? I liked Carne and Seul contre tous but is he top 25 worthy?

You didn't like Irreversible? Honestly, I find that he's one of the most interesting and creative directors of his generation. The top 25 cutoff is so arbitrary and would actually require me to think and force-rank my favorite filmmakers - something I don't think I could or even want to do. But when I think of the most talented guys these days, I think of him, among others. As far as French directors go, he's definitely a bit ahead of most. He's an interesting guy too - not the psychopath that you would expect from his cinema.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Jodorowsky.

Did you see The Rainbow Thief? It reunited Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif and features Christopher Lee surrounded by strippers.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
I'm a pretentious and picky f'n prick when it comes to lists involving anything film related (as I shamelessly think that I am "˜the man' on the subject) The EW list stinks worse than ass so I will form a list of my own. My mind has randomly spewed out twenty five names that deserve to be on the list. They are:

Werner Herzog
Woody Allen
David Lynch
Bela Tarr
Alejandro Jodorowsky
Jan Svankmajer
Lech Majewski
Juraj Jakubisko
Spike Lee
Agnes Varda

Jean-Luc Godard
Martin Scorsese
Jacques Rivette
Abbas Kiarostami
Nicholas Roeg
Wim Wenders
Theodoros Angelopoulos
Ken Loach
Andre Techine
Dusan Makavejev

Bernardo Bertolucci
Eric Rohmer
Carlos Reygadas
Michael Haneke
Faith Akin

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread should just be renamed "How I can appear to know more about film than I really do by listing directors that probably shouldn't be on this list".

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
John Waters
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
This thread should just be renamed "How I can appear to know more about film than I really do by listing directors that probably shouldn't be on this list".

Armani makes the best suit and Rolex the best watch!

Qzar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
I'm a pretentious and picky f'n prick when it comes to lists involving anything film related (as I shamelessly think that I am "˜the man' on the subject) The EW list stinks worse than ass so I will form a list of my own. My mind has randomly spewed out twenty five names that deserve to be on the list. They are:

Werner Herzog
Woody Allen
David Lynch
Bela Tarr
Alejandro Jodorowsky
Jan Svankmajer
Lech Majewski
Juraj Jakubisko
Spike Lee
Agnes Varda

Jean-Luc Godard
Martin Scorsese
Jacques Rivette
Abbas Kiarostami
Nicholas Roeg
Wim Wenders
Theodoros Angelopoulos
Ken Loach
Andre Techine
Dusan Makavejev

Bernardo Bertolucci
Eric Rohmer
Carlos Reygadas
Michael Haneke
Faith Akin

No Pedro Almodovar or Wong Kar Wai?
No Ang Lee (but Spike Lee??)?
No Zhang Yimou?

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Qzar
No Pedro Almodovar or Wong Kar Wai?
No Ang Lee (but Spike Lee??)?
No Zhang Yimou?

Ang Lee does nothing for me. Spike Lee is a quality filmmaker that understands the aesthetic nature of film and can get his head around complex subject matter as well. It's true that "˜Do the Right Thing' is his only joint that is even remotely close to being a masterpiece but that applies to just about anyone including masters like Antonioni , Godard, Vigo etc.

When Wong Kar Wai is interested, he makes good films. His use of colour and sound to set the mood is reminiscent of Greenaway (compare "˜In the Mood for Love' to "˜the Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover'). Both men hark back to the film style of Sergei Parajanov.

Almodovar went from attacking the bourgeoisie (ala Bunuel) to making "˜safe' films with Cruz. His voice is faint, his work is diluted. He stands for nothing now.

Zhang Yimou? No. Tsui Hark? A case can be made for him.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited

Who says they shouldn't be on the list, you? Who are you anyway? It's taken me years to be this good, chap. Many hours wasted watching whatever I can whenever I can. You know about clothes (I assume), I know about film. Stick to whatever you know best, jack. You can remain ignorant on anything else or take some notes and learn a thing or two.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As expected, SF comes up with a much better list than the EW original one. I would add Jim Jarmusch and Nikita Mikhalkov into the discussion.

wiru

Reaction score
My additions are Hong Sang-soo, Tsai Ming-liang and Hou Hsiao-hsien. Asia is the new Europe

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads