• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eric michaels in dc?

houston

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Eric Michaels in DC? It looks like you need an appointment and they come to you. I'm intrigued, but suspicious as to what exactly they are offering. From their website:

Eric Michaels specializes in fine, custom tailored men's and women's suits and shirts. Combining exquisite fabrics and tailoring techniques, we pride ourselves in the workmanship and durability of our product. In addition to custom, we have a wide variety of ready-made suits, ties and accessories.

Returning to the service tradition of the early twentieth century, upon appointment, a wardrobe consultant will visit you at a place of your discretion. Fulfilling the personal attention you demand, this specially trained consultant will assist in sartorial selections, provide wardrobe advice and take measurements. Contact Eric Michaels to set up an appointment.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sounds alot like what the Tom James Co. does. They make nice stuff (excellent fabrics, "nothing special" construction), but very expensive. Someone comes to your office or home with lots of swatches, etc. and they measure you right there. The clothes, though, don't come from a department store, but come from one of the Tom James textile companies (which include Oxxford at the highest end). I'm not familiar with Eric Michaels though. Does he do what TJ does or is he more of a fashion consultant?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just checked out the Eric Michaels website (eric-michaels.com). At least based on the website information, they appear merely to have copied the Tom James business model. It's a good route for people who hate shopping and don't know good clothes from bad. Certainly, you will always pay MORE THAN full retail for going this route. On the other hand, you're getting more personalized service.

Of the two jackets, two slacks and two shirts I bought from Tom James, not surprisingly the best of them were also the most expensive. In particular, the two pairs of slacks, which were about $240 and 290 respectively, are really nice. Some of my favorite slacks. Also, one of the jackets, a custom number in beige plaid with royal blue lining that was about $1,000, is also just about perfect. The lower priced stuff isn't quite as nice though. In any case, I doubt I'll be buying more clothes from Tom James (or similar companies), if only because I know I can find equally good (or better) stuff on sale elsewhere (such as brand new Incotex and Oxxford slacks on Ebay for $130-200).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads