• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AnOxymoron

Reaction score
Lol I get y’all are epaulet stans, but still nobody has actually explained why customs fees are being charged in this situation and how it’s any different than the other smaller or comparably sized e-tailers I’ve ordered from.

Also, it’s not “my country” I am American. I just live here.

Last edited:

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol I get y’all are epaulet stans, but still nobody has actually explained why customs fees are being charged in this situation and how it’s any different than the other smaller or comparably sized e-tailers I’ve ordered from.

We are not "Stan's" just mature enough to realize that customs is a part of international purchases. Perhaps other etailers marked your items as gifts, marked them below value, or you got lucky with avoiding customs. Considering you were charged something you're legally obligated to, I don't see the point of your complaint. Are you expecting epaulet to pay for your customs fees?

AnOxymoron

Reaction score
We are not "Stan's" just mature enough to realize that customs is a part of international purchases. Perhaps other etailers marked your items as gifts, marked them below value, or you got lucky with avoiding customs. Considering you were charged something you're legally obligated to, I don't see the point of your complaint. Are you expecting epaulet to pay for your customs fees?

Merely voicing my disappointment on a public forum dedicated to the shop I did business with. Not everything has to be positive. This certainly soured my experience with EP and makes me reluctant to do business with them again in the future. Should anyone in similar circumstances to mine be interested in ordering, and should happen to find my post, perhaps they will find it useful.

And no, I’m not expecting them to pay for my customs fees, but if I screwed up three times for a customer, I would do my best to not inconvenience further.

zhenjie

Reaction score

The fact you haven't been issued with customs fees from previous imports does not mean the Epaulet package was incorrectly dutied. As trig explained, its likely other sellers marked items as gifts and/or under-declared their true value, which is technically illegal and shouldn't be expected to be the norm.

The only disappointing issue is that you didn't read Epaulet's clear shipping policies. "The customer is responsible for any import taxes or fees associated with the delivery.". Even if you didn't read their policy, it's common knowledge to most online shoppers that import duties and tariffs existing, especially for clothing and textiles.

If you live in Japan, learn the rules and regulations. Ignorantia juris non excusat

AnOxymoron

Reaction score
I'm not here to argue with you "mature" (pretentious) fashionistas. I'm here to post my experience and move on.

The only disappointing issue is that you didn't read Epaulet's clear shipping policies.

No, the only disappointing issue is that I read the quoted turnover for the items I ordered (4-6 weeks), and that estimation was exceeded 4 times over. First, due to a seeming lack of communication on their backend, and then another ambitiously estimated shipping date of "the end of January" and they weren't shipped out until Feb. 26th.

Maybe you can understand my frustration. Time is money.

Anyway, I'm over it.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But they gave you free pants. You act like you just got a shrug.

there’s no pleasing some folks.

Last edited:

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike I reached for this one today and wanted to ask if you'll run these casual overdye shirts again? They're a great fit and fade awesome.

20180309_063459.jpg

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flossing my EP Stan-ness with individualized shirt and Tweeduroys today:

3FAA6FF7-0FF0-4FA7-B0A6-ED609B882CD3.jpeg

Also, took delivery of two lovely Hertling MTO pants today: REDA tan and Moon tweed mocha. They’re both amazing, but I was definitely expecting the tweed to be a darker, more saturated shade of brown. This is more cafe au lait than mocha. Ha! Still a very nice and versatile pant. Anyway the textures are killer. Check it out:

3B63D2E3-FE39-4931-8B8C-AB58568E08CE.jpeg
A5C2B752-06E1-41E2-A777-DAA42B5182B6.jpeg

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, took delivery of two lovely Hertling MTO pants today: REDA tan and Moon tweed mocha. They’re both amazing, but I was definitely expecting the tweed to be a darker, more saturated shade of brown. This is more cafe au lait than mocha. Ha! Still a very nice and versatile pant. Anyway the textures are killer. Check it out:

View attachment 938398 View attachment 938400

Hahaha, 'nother EP Stan here. Both of those look fantastic, congratulations. I'm waiting on the Moon tweed mocha (cafe au lait), really stoked.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, 'nother EP Stan here. Both of those look fantastic, congratulations. I'm waiting on the Moon tweed mocha (cafe au lait), really stoked.

It’s realy a soft and luxurious cloth. You won’t be disappointed!

I’m not really sure what “Stan” means. I assume similar to “fanboy?” I dunno. Many many purchases into being an EP customer and every product I’ve gotten has been great. A few times when there have been hiccups, mike and Adele have always been extremely accommodating

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Oh I remember Stan!

Eminem-and-Stan.jpg

"Dear Slim, I wrote you but you still ain't callin'"

Hey Mike I reached for this one today and wanted to ask if you'll run these casual overdye shirts again? They're a great fit and fade awesome.

View attachment 938256

@tricky I pretty sure that I've entered the "Chainstitch Shirt 4 Lyfe" phase of LA production. We've sold that shape better than any OTR shirt in years, and I think that it's one of the best fitting shapes we've ever offered... alongside the Capri collar.

But yes, doing an overdyed oxford variant of it like that is definitely on my radar.

View attachment 938340
White/Grey Suede Sport Trainer, Khaki Japanese Military Twill Ranger Pant, Heavy Bleached Twill Denim Shirt, Kuroki Indigo Crosshatch Denim Doyle by Epaulet.

@suuteebird So good! I've worn nearly this exact combo myself.. just Military Twill shorts instead of Ranger Pants. We're a gang!

Flossing my EP Stan-ness with individualized shirt and Tweeduroys today:

View attachment 938407

View attachment 938398 View attachment 938400

@peppercorn78 TWEEDUROY G.O.A.T. !!! Glad that you're pleased with the new pants too!

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s realy a soft and luxurious cloth. You won’t be disappointed!

I’m not really sure what “Stan” means. I assume similar to “fanboy?” I dunno. Many many purchases into being an EP customer and every product I’ve gotten has been great. A few times when there have been hiccups, mike and Adele have always been extremely accommodating

Right, I also assumed that Stan was intended to imply we are all mindlessly following some fashion movement or something.

However, you only need to read this thread for a short while to realise that EP has earned the striking enthusiasm and loyalty everyone here shows by actually delivering fantastic clothing at great value, over and over again. Funny how so many leading members of the StyleForum community turn out to be Epaulet customers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads