• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

utopiaburger

Reaction score
I’m in for an indigo Sinclair and British khaki Wilhelm, deciding on one more Wilhelm - either indigo or olive. I always think indigo/navy chinos will be a great alternative to jeans but end up disappointed by ugly fading, dust/lint, shiny knees… so I’m probably going to get olive.

Do you have any pictures of the cali canvas in olive? I see there’s an olive overdyed Japanese cotton Rivet on the site, and I kind of remember the steel moss sashikos recently.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's going on 22 years old. It's the traditional Genta design of the Ingenieur with the JLC 889/2 movement with IWC's finishing, including a platinum rotor. IWC small sized the "Jumbo" Genta Ingenieur (40mm) in the early 90s with a graph paper dial and then with the JLC movement the chronometer version as well as a super anti-magnetic version that looks exactly like mine but without the certificate and with a special engraving on the case. Those, including mine, are 34mm, but it wears a little larger b/c of the lugless case. The bezel is screw down using the holes, as is the case back, using a different tool. The fish crown is IWC's way of saying it's water resistant.

View attachment 1767381 View attachment 1767380
Better forcus on the Doyle than the dial.

View attachment 1767382

Hodinkee just did an article about it. They referred to it as forgotten in the headline. I haven't read the article yet - just found it searching for images of the movement. I was considering the AP Royal Oak at the same time, but the IWC was nicer IMO and was $1000 cheaper. Now, the RO is worth around 10x the price of the Ingenieur. But for love, not for investment.

View attachment 1767385
Here is someone's pic of the movement. It's the IWC 887. But, your an see under the gold plating that it's the JLC movement common to the Master series, even the perpetual calendar. JLC just does rhodium plating on its own version.

The newer Ingenieur with the Genta-style are all larger even than the Jumbo. Plus, they made the bezel symmetrical, which drives me crazy. It's just ugly now. It's definitely not well loved like the Royal Oak and the Patek Nautilus, designed around the same time by Genta.

Ah wow, how rad -- that's a great writeup! I didn't realize that they made a 34mm version of it, but it looks like it wears really nicely.

That is a gorgeous watch. I've always liked the Ingenieur from this era and would definitely prefer one of them over the RO, and I agree that the new Ingenieur are ugly.

I've got no need for any super-antimagnetic watch but for some reason I always liked that feature. Maybe simply as a curiosity?

Here's my two entries into that field:

Oh maaaan, I love the Railmaster! Those yellow Indices are so great!

Thanks, that's helpful. My Woolrich Sinclair is not custom. I checked the video, I guess if I pull it taught and flat it's 25.5 but you're not doing that in the video.

No matter, I ordered a 40 Sinclair / 33 Rivet in the gunmetal, and should be fine for my nephew's casual wedding in May. I have some Rivets in both 32 and 33, and 33 is better for me since I'll be tucking the shirt in.

Fantastic... thank you so much!

I’m in for an indigo Sinclair and British khaki Wilhelm, deciding on one more Wilhelm - either indigo or olive. I always think indigo/navy chinos will be a great alternative to jeans but end up disappointed by ugly fading, dust/lint, shiny knees… so I’m probably going to get olive.

Do you have any pictures of the cali canvas in olive? I see there’s an olive overdyed Japanese cotton Rivet on the site, and I kind of remember the steel moss sashikos recently.

Thank you!

If you want an indigo pant, I don't think you need to worry too much about those issues with this. We're using a reactive garment dye, so it should just come through as a nice, even deep navy blue. Any dark pant can attract lint when its machine dried, but that wouldn't be more likely for one color over another.

Might be worth getting that to complete the suit! But the British Khaki and Olive would also work nicely under the Indigo jacket... so either way it's going to be a nice set.

And I don't have a sample of the pant, but it will be a proper dark olive tone.

I like that it has a unique bracelet compared to other Rolexes. But, I am somewhat shocked you prefer it to your JLC.

I definitely get a lot more use of the Oysterquartz. Overall I love the bracelet and this two-tone 70s/80s vibe. The Reverso is a much more dressy watch, and it's hard to find a whole lot of occasions for that. I can wear the OQ pretty much anywhere.

It has a really nice weight too. It's substantially heavier than a Datejust, and just fits and feels perfect.

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely get a lot more use of the Oysterquartz. Overall I love the bracelet and this two-tone 70s/80s vibe. The Reverso is a much more dressy watch, and it's hard to find a whole lot of occasions for that. I can wear the OQ pretty much anywhere.

It has a really nice weight too. It's substantially heavier than a Datejust, and just fits and feels perfect.

I have thin wrists, so 34mm is good with me. I also have a Mark XII special edition with my initials on it (just happened to be right - not custom). That's 36mm, which also works perfectly for my wrist size. I'm definitely not someone who could wear 42mm+ like most of the modern models. I think 38mm is probably my limit for comfort and appropriate size for my wrist. I once had a 40mm Tudor sub that felt way too big.

I understand about the Reverso. I love their look, but they are definitely dressy. Does yours have a deployant clasp. I found that when I switched my tang for a deployant on my Mark XII it became a lot easier to wear. Mine is the old-style of deployant that you have to install the strap upside down from normal to feel comfortable on the wrist. My understanding is now they are butterfly for many brands so they fit better on the bottom of the wrist.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have thin wrists, so 34mm is good with me. I also have a Mark XII special edition with my initials on it (just happened to be right - not custom). That's 36mm, which also works perfectly for my wrist size. I'm definitely not someone who could wear 42mm+ like most of the modern models. I think 38mm is probably my limit for comfort and appropriate size for my wrist. I once had a 40mm Tudor sub that felt way too big.

I understand about the Reverso. I love their look, but they are definitely dressy. Does yours have a deployant clasp. I found that when I switched my tang for a deployant on my Mark XII it became a lot easier to wear. Mine is the old-style of deployant that you have to install the strap upside down from normal to feel comfortable on the wrist. My understanding is now they are butterfly for many brands so they fit better on the bottom of the wrist.

I'm in the same boat with thin and smaller wrists, and 38mm would probably be my top end as well. The only thing bigger than 36 that I wear is the Apple Watch.

My Reverso included a metal bracelet with a butterfly clasp but it wasn't long enough to fit (I bought it second hand) and I've never tried to purchase additional links for it. I just got that crazy blue strap at a local jewelry store.

I'll tell you guys... this watch below is one of my favorites of all time. No idea of the reference number or when it was made. I often shop of Ebay using filters (Seiko watch, second hand, manufactured 1970's and 1980s, sort by price) and I'll see if I can score a good deal. This came up for about $75 and I grabbed it. The case and bracelet were pretty rough, so I paid about another $200 locally to have it cleaned, polished, and tuned up. And it's such a stunner! It has that early 80's vibe and the contrast of gilt hands on a blue linen dial is just gorgeous.

I go to a lot of watch events, and while it's certainly fun to see insanely expensive watches that look like they flew off of Gucci Mane's wrist, it's more interesting when people source really cool and unexpected vintage pieces.

DEA5CD54-0A8F-4DBA-93DA-F64961BB6B05.jpeg

BA92FDE7-E124-4444-B601-2DDC09B65144.jpeg

Last edited:

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sashiko rivet sizing question:

i have one pair of natural sashiko rivets from (i think) 2020ish. I ordered the same size as my other rivets (33), but they are definitely bigger. I feel like I shrink my other rivets down to size but the sashikos didn't shrink.

Do all sashiko rivets run a bit larger, or was that a 1 time thing?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
sashiko rivet sizing question:

i have one pair of natural sashiko rivets from (i think) 2020ish. I ordered the same size as my other rivets (33), but they are definitely bigger. I feel like I shrink my other rivets down to size but the sashikos didn't shrink.

Do all sashiko rivets run a bit larger, or was that a 1 time thing?

Hmm all of our Sashiko clothing is sized up prior to dyeing, but the goal is for it to shrink to spec. Our present stock of Sashiko rivets is pretty close to standard sizing, but the natural flex in the fabric means that it fits a touch looser and can work better for guys who find the Rivet to be slim in the leg.

That said, Natural Sashiko is always a bit larger. We do an industrial hot wash, but it's not as intensive as dyeing. So that probably is significantly more relaxed than a dyed Sashiko pair. Try nuking it again in the hottest water and the hottest dryer setting and I bet you can get it to come in more, even with all of this time and use.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat with thin and smaller wrists, and 38mm would probably be my top end as well. The only thing bigger than 36 that I wear is the Apple Watch.

My Reverso included a metal bracelet with a butterfly clasp but it wasn't long enough to fit (I bought it second hand) and I've never tried to purchase additional links for it. I just got that crazy blue strap at a local jewelry store.

I'll tell you guys... this watch below is one of my favorites of all time. No idea of the reference number or when it was made. I often shop of Ebay using filters (Seiko watch, second hand, manufactured 1970's and 1980s, sort by price) and I'll see if I can score a good deal. This came up for about $75 and I grabbed it. The case and bracelet were pretty rough, so I paid about another $200 locally to have it cleaned, polished, and tuned up. And it's such a stunner! It has that early 80's vibe and the contrast of gilt hands on a blue linen dial is just gorgeous.

I go to a lot of watch events, and while it's certainly fun to see insanely expensive watches that look like they flew off of Gucci Mane's wrist, it's more interesting when people source really cool and unexpected vintage pieces.

View attachment 1768305
View attachment 1768304

I love the dial on that. I often seem that style referred to as a linen dial but that blue makes me want to call that one a denim dial instead!

If you look at the serial number and movement reference on the caseback, you can usually figure out when a particular Seiko was manufactured using this site: https://retroseiko.com/seiko-serial.htm

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I just ordered a cosmic Sinclair. I am going to regret this in 5 years when I have worn it less than once a year. Maybe I will use it as a lab coat.

LOL I applaud this choice!

For real, we've sold a surprising amount of Cosmic Camo jackets and it's awesome. It's less wild than you think. Camouflage jackets are a thing - even in sportcoat form - and it's going to be an ace match to basic chinos or jeans. I bet that you'll find a lot of ways to wear it.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet For the synthwave summer promo, the orange crush gauzy stripe is not showing in the fabric selection, is that an oversight?

Hey there!! Sorry it's live now, that was a mistake on our part.

https://www.epauletbrand.com/products/custom-shirting-synthwave-summer-promo?variant=29523519176806

I also can't tell you how rad these stripes are!! I uploaded some sample pics of them made up. They're from iphone pics of a Beams catalog, so not the greatest quality, but you can get an idea for how they'll look. Orange Crush is definitely my #1

And really... stock is super limited on this stuff. We're just tapping into extra inventory from what Beams ordered as stock. Some of these fabrics have only enough for 3 or 4 units, and if Beams orders into it, we'll lose access. We're giving free horn buttons till Thursday and you'll get these pieces in hand by early May with the current lead time, so definitely don't wait too long if you really dig something.

And this is the only category that's 15% off with our current promo, but if you want the 5 shirt deal, you can order the five shirts from any category. So it's possible to get 3 synthwave and 2 oxfords and still get the lowest price shirt for free.

Gauzy Stripes.jpg

View recent photos.jpg

Todd V

Reaction score
This is my new work watch. Grand Seiko 9F quartz.

Grab and go. Good for suit-wearing and gettin it done. And you bet your ass I’ll know if that train is even four seconds late….

605F62C3-25A1-4A42-926B-B764DD52174F.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads