• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
I think it would do better in the Los Feliz/Silverlake area to be honest with you, some added competition for Confederacy and Mohawke...

Well... and to be perfectly frank, I think there is a strong argument to be made for downtown as well. But that's a much riskier proposition for the time being since there is basically no high-end retail yet (other than den.m bar, which is somewhat similarly situated and even a complimentary business now that Epaulet isn't selling denim anymore -- but they're the only ones). New high-end restaurants and loft apartments are opening up every week downtown and there's a huge workforce of people whose work attire is precisely what Epaulet is selling (or at least, it should be if they have any taste). It is in theory a perfect fit, but it's effectively an entirely untested space. Downtown residents are craving high-end retail but I suspect someone larger than Epaulet would need to jump first. Figat7th may provide the launching pad but that's still half a year to a year away.

Whereas Abbot Kinney is more mature and saturated with other stores in this space, and under the "rising tide raises all ships" theory, a much less riskier bet for an LA location. Westsiders are well-known to drop heavy coin on clothing, too. I know there are people in the Silverlake/Los Feliz area who do as well, or Confederacy, etc. would not be able to survive there, but it doesn't have the buzz that AK has. Silverlake is still full of hipsters but I feel like it peaked a couple of years ago. On the other hand, GQ just called Abbot Kinney the trendiest street in America (or something to that effect). That might be a sign it's peaked but based on having lived there up until recently, I still think it's below its saturation point. Development in Venice continues and there is still plenty of space on AK that is vacant or occupied by businesses who probably won't last much longer under current conditions.

You may be able to tell I've thought about this a little bit. Wishful thinking, mostly... but someday...

Last edited:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Oh and FWIW, whenever Mike has talked about it in the past, he's stated that any location in LA would likely be somewhere in Hollywood (I forget where exactly, if he was specific), citing a need for heavy foot traffic to support the location. This makes sense since the online business is probably served just fine from NY leaving in-store purchases (generated by foot traffic from other shops nearby) as the only reason to open a store in LA.

My point is that I think AK now fits this profile as well but there may not be hard data to back this up yet, even now.

Then there's also the biggest reason I can think of to NOT want a store in LA -- because then we'd have to start paying sales tax.

Last edited:

mothball

Reaction score

Two nights of dance recitals, two nights of Epaulet.
Koi shirt & butterscotch Walts. I'm a little upset that she's wearing my hat.

Pindot chambray & canvas rivet chinos.

I'll put these in for the contest as well. I'll hopefully take more tomorrow, but I'm on the tail end of a vacation, and I'm not sure the Epaulet shirts that fit at the beginning of this week still do.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

OfficeSpaceMichaelBolton.jpg

Do you celebrate the man's entire catalog?

pekingman

Reaction score
^ Yes! I have the grey oxford chinos, and they're noticeably tighter in the thigh and seat. I had to have them taken out a bit. Had never done that before.

I noticed the same thing on the pair of wine oxford chinos I picked up (size 32). I was able to order a second pair (this time gray) one size up on after the last re-stock and am waiting to pick them up to see how they fit. I guess I'll need to take the waist in a bit, but the slightly higher rise and more room in the seat/thighs will be useful I think.

Mind you, saying that I have been wearing the slightly tight (but still wearable) size 32s in the heat in Hong Kong for the last couple of days, and they still have been super comfortable as a hot weather trouser.

SVB: Absolutely love the color of that green shirt. What is the material? I used to have a linen blend shirt in a similar, but not quite as vibrant color.

PS (edit): Forgot to add that for some unknown reason trying to access styleforum.net without using a VPN results in a "403 forbidden" error from Macau. Perhaps not surprising when you see what most people are wearing around here ...

One more edit: to clarify that I meant I ordered a second pair - just in case anyone about to order the wine in 32 thinks that I planned to return them after walking around in the Hong Kong heat for a day or two .. :)

Last edited:

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone clarify Epaulet's return policy for me? The website says that they only accept returns for store credit. Is this the case? I was hoping to purchase 2 sizes online and then return one since I'm in between sizes.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need to compete with Stan's suit. Will post pics tomorrow!

Got the white chinos today...love them. Will have them hemmed and post pics as well.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone clarify Epaulet's return policy for me? The website says that they only accept returns for store credit. Is this the case? I was hoping to purchase 2 sizes online and then return one since I'm in between sizes.

This is the case for the general public. For SF members, you can request a refund within 14 days of items that are purchased at full price, and not on sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads