• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

plato

Reaction score
Just got a Caine blazer in the mail and it's great. After a couple nicks and tucks by my tailor (named Nick), it'll fit pretty much perfect.

Have been thinking about getting an Epaulet oxford dress shirt, but think that the large, the size i'd have to buy for my 42 inch chest, has sleeves that're too long. I measured my J crew dress shirt sleeves; they're too long at 25 inches, so I'd need something like 24inch long sleeves. Since Epaulet's website says that the sleeves from the shoulder measure 26.5 inches long on the large, would it even be worth ordering a shirt to try? Can anyone with an informed opinion comment?

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got a Caine blazer in the mail and it's great. After a couple nicks and tucks by my tailor (named Nick), it'll fit pretty much perfect.

Have been thinking about getting an Epaulet oxford dress shirt, but think that the large, the size i'd have to buy for my 42 inch chest, has sleeves that're too long. I measured my J crew dress shirt sleeves; they're too long at 25 inches, so I'd need something like 24inch long sleeves. Since Epaulet's website says that the sleeves from the shoulder measure 26.5 inches long on the large, would it even be worth ordering a shirt to try? Can anyone with an informed opinion comment?

How tall are you? I wear large and am 6'3 with a 40inch chest. I wear Large in Epaulet's shirts and think the sleeves are a bit short actually (but wearable as a casual shirt).

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you have a tailor you trust with a sport coat, you can certainly trust him with shortening sleeves properly. Shouldn't be too costly, and well worth the $$.

This is for all you history/photo guys: NYC Municipal Archives just digitized over 800,000 photos from NYC starting in the late 1800s. Some highlights that may fit well in this thread are this one:
article-0-12BD23D6000005DC-693_964x763.jpg

its Delancey St, 1908, just round the corner from where Epaulet is today.

And this one:
article-0-12BD186F000005DC-180_964x777.jpg

Kind of reminds me of what Mike's avatar may have looked like 100 years ago.

There are some other cool images here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...go-tell-vivid-story-gritty-New-York-City.html
From the Daily Mail of all places. The Mun Archives web site hasn't been able to cope with the demand for these, so they're working on fixing it at the moment. Enjoy!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

[
Dear Epaulet,

Normally I keep these comments to myself, but you guys really need to find all the pics with these shoes and burn them and take new product pics with something... better. These shoes are *horrible* in combination with the rivets, especially with the cuff. Yikes. The pants are boss, though.

agreed, let #menswear monks die a peaceful death

wj4 shirt is way too tight

NYR thanks for the photos are those the only ones from NYT digitized?

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

First off, thanks so much for all of the great feedback and enthusiasm around our new products! Things have been exciting over here!

My apologies to anyone who PM'd me and didn't get a response yet - I'm pretty backed up with them. I'm going to do my best to get back to everybody today.

Just got my navy rivets. Absolutely love them. Returning the chinos i bought from jcrew this weekend.

Just a quick question, they fit perfect along the waist, without a shirt tucked in. How much can i expect them to stretch? I figured if i wear them around a bit they'll stretch perfectly with a shirt tucked in

Thanks for picking them up! Like any cotton trouser, you can expect them to break in a bit with wear. Probably around a half inch or so over the course of a few weeks.

mike getting a restock on the gunmetal and khaki canvas any time soon? sry, can't remember if you said so.

Absolutely. Over the next few months we intend to restock Khaki, Navy, and Gunmetal in 3-4 week intervals. We'll get it back soon enough.

So it looked like that milkshake Indy had a 360 welt (forgive me if I'm blowing the terminology, but you know what I mean). I've got a pair of the natural CXL tanker boots you had made up a couple months back, and they've got a similar welt. Any chance of getting that applied to an otherwise standard Indy? Or, maybe, an Indy in brown CXL with a commando sole and that welt? Weird detail to get hung up on, I know, but it's at least worth asking. If no, when are you guys expecting another Indy delivery? I'd rather give you my money than other places I could get the things, and I need to rotate out the tankers sometimes.

I'm with you, I personally prefer the 360 welt too. Unless a store does a makeup style with it, it's not something that Alden does on their stock Indy Boots. We'll have some Fall Tanker styles with it though.

I don't have a bulk delivery of Indy boots planned until early September, but we can generally order any size and receive it in 2 days from Alden. Drop me a line with your size and we can make it happen whenever you're ready.

grabbed the oxford grey and papaya rivets. these two will put my rivet collection at 9. :D
for those who already have the papaya rivets, what are you typically pairing with them with on top? i was thinking navy, blue ocbd, white, and maybe light green?

As a rule, bold trousers (orange, vibrant green, red) look good (1) subdued tone shirts and (2) patterned shirts with white or cream grounds.

The payapa will work with white, very pale blue, and very pale tan solids. Green could be cool too, but it's going to be a bold outfit. It looks really good with ginghams and tattersall's as well as long as the ground is white or cream. For example, the basic Navy Gingham cutaway collar shirt that we stock generally looks boss with all of our "go to hell" vibrant trousers.

I saw a reference to the "new new fit." What is the current fit in relation to the very first drop of 10oz french blues ducks that I bought? For reference, 33 was buttonable but realistically just a bit too tight.

They're a half inch bigger in the waist and a touch larger in the seat.

Most customers haven't noticed a real difference at all. But this tweak allowed guys who were on the edge of a size to fit more comfortably into their correct size.

I am thinking that the Caramel Duck Rivets that the UPS man dropped off are my favoriet purchase ever from Ep. Ok, 2nd favorite after the Cigar Indys last year, with which i'm pairing them today. Yeah, so with the new fit I had to go up to a 36 (as there is no 35) and now feel like a fat ass amongst you young bucks in your 30 waists, but I'm really loving the fit.
Maybe its my extra fury legs, but I don't find the fabric uncomfy at all, at first wear.

Excellent - glad that the new fit's working for you!

I have a question for all the rivet chinos guys out there. I have lost a bit of weight and do not know my true pants size anymore. I am between a 30 and 32 in most brands and am 5'10'' and 150 lbs. Any sizing advice guys?

A 31 might be the ticket. As always, measuring the waistband is the best guide for where you need to be.

Why do only the red and orangish colors show for 7oz? Don't see anything in preorder section either. When do the rest pop up? Thanks guys, extra .5" sounds perfect for me :)

In 7oz we ran cherry, papaya, and french blue. French Blue 7oz should be restocked in the next few weeks.

Our basic colors are stocked in 8oz, so I didn't duplicate them in this fabric that's just a touch lighter.

I will be kicking and shoving the line to take a crack at one or more of the Marcello blazers. And those shell shortwing boots are absolutely beautiful!

Thank you, glad that you dig them! Marcello's should go live next week. We have somewhere in the realm of 50 units of them, so they'll be plenty to go around.

plato

Reaction score
How tall are you? I wear large and am 6'3 with a 40inch chest. I wear Large in Epaulet's shirts and think the sleeves are a bit short actually (but wearable as a casual shirt).

That's the thing, I'm only 5'8", so the proportions are distinctly different. With about a 34 waist, I'm rather triangular too and am concerned that the fit of the shirts is more straight in the body, with room for arm movement, than made for an 8inch drop between chest and waist measurements.

NewYorkRanger - you think the shirt alterations are worth it? Have thought for a while that OTR shirts should just fit, but so far that seems to be a problematic presupposition. I'll look at my tailor's price chart when I go pick up the blazer.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Carmina Comments

Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone who ordered from our new Carmina delivery - we're shipping a bunch of them out on Monday! Here's some comments from my side on our new styles:

Sinclair Shortwing Boot Saddle Shell Cordovan $895

Part of my trip to Pitti was a day-long meeting with the Carmina owners. During that time we hashed out this gorgeous shortwing boot. It's an Epaulet-exclusive style for the next year and a half.
Wingtip boots are a perfect fit to what we do here. They're a supremely versatile style that can be dressed up or down and coordinated with nearly any look. We made the Sinclair a dressier option than our signature Alden Brixton Boot by giving it a flat welt and blind eyelets. We'll release these in the Fall in a range of materials, but I decided to do our Spring introduction in radiant Saddle Shell cordovan. Wear these for a year and you can make the toughest man on Earth weep copious tears of joy at the sheer sight of their patina.

Fitzgerald Shortwing Slate Tumbled Calfskin: $545
This grey-toned calfskin freaking blew me away when I first saw it. It's a rad color with the typical wardrobe of denim, chinos, and navy trousers. And typically grey mens dress shoes are burnished like crazy and veering well into the world of pimp-dom. We took this cool color, punched it into a clean and shockingly comfortable leather, and made it in a classic, easy-to-wear shortwing. These will definitely turn some heads.

Thompson PTB in Navy Suede: $545
I rolled the dice on these. For the most part, Carmina is famous for its lighter, dressier styles. I worked out this design as a way to test the waters and try a style that's chunkier and more in the vein of Trickers and Aldens. They came out spectacular! It's an excellent balance of an tough, substantial shoe and comfortable toe box with an elegant overall shape.

Woolf Wingtip Heel: $495

Kincaid Captoe Heel: $495

Womens and Mens shoes are totally different animals. Mens shoes don't vary a huge amount in design, so things like leather, construction, and overall quality are of primary importance. Womens shoes are mostly about style, as they can be made in countless shapes and patterns. As such, even high end womens shoes are typically not that well made. They use a lot of corrected grain leathers, cemented construction, etc. There's no need to build them really well when the customer is going to look for a new pair in a few months anyway. Since I don't want to sell anything that's disposable, it's been challenging to find a high-end womens shoe line to sell.

The second that I saw Carmina's womens collection, I knew that we had to carry them. The shapes are really cool and sexy, but the construction is on par with their mens shoes. The leather is phenomenal, and Adele has found them to be the most comfortable heels that she's ever worn. They're a rare combination of style and quality in womens footwear. If you need a rad gift for the lady in your life, then check these out. And feel free to PM or call us with any sizing questions.

Last edited:

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We got in a few Regiment Twill re-stock's yesterday. I know a lot of you have been jonesin' for them. We just got them all built into the site. We'll be keeping the basic colors (navy, gunmetal, khaki, etc) in-stock as much as possible and each delivery will have a few vibrant color's as well.

Epaulet Walt Trouser Regiment Twill Gunmetal

Epaulet Walt Trouser Regiment Twill Khaki

Epaulet Walt Trouser Regiment Twill Moss

Epaulet Walt Trouser Regiment Twill Navy

Epaulet Walt Trouser Regiment Twill Cloud

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plato-I'm an XL in Epaulet at about 6'. Sleeves are too long for me as well and neck is about a little over an inch too big. I strictly wear Epaulet as a casual shirt because of this.

thebunk

Reaction score

Quote:

That's the thing, I'm only 5'8", so the proportions are distinctly different. With about a 34 waist, I'm rather triangular too and am concerned that the fit of the shirts is more straight in the body, with room for arm movement, than made for an 8inch drop between chest and waist measurements.

NewYorkRanger - you think the shirt alterations are worth it? Have thought for a while that OTR shirts should just fit, but so far that seems to be a problematic presupposition. I'll look at my tailor's price chart when I go pick up the blazer.

Thanks for the replies.
I have the same issue with sleeve length but it is not a problem to sleeves shortened (have done it with all of my 10+ Ep shirts). Just wash and hang dry beforehand to get any shrinkage out of the way first.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

All 800k are supposedly digitized on the Municipal archives site, but its been flooded lately, so they're working on getting it back up.

Plato, yea, def worth it, and def wash and hang dry to get the shrink out.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, the shirt is a bit tight. I guess it's the Fred Perry collaboration with Under Armour. I couldn't return/exchange it because of the final sales rule. I'll wear them until they fade and/or lose the shape.

I still dig double monkstraps. Got 2 of them now. :slayer:

neutrino

Reaction score
If anyone didn't notice, the red/white/blue madras has been restocked. Safe to report now that I've kopped one for myself
bigstar[1].gif

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yeah, the shirt is a bit tight. I guess it's the Fred Perry collaboration with Under Armour. I couldn't return/exchange it because of the final sales rule. I'll wear them until they fade and/or lose the shape.
I still dig double monkstraps. Got 2 of them now. :slayer:

I think it looks good. I've been wearing tight-as-hell Fred Perry's for the past 17 years. That's pretty much the only way that they should be worn. I'm in full support :).

And double monks aren't going anywhere. I imagine that #menswear is though. Things have to constantly change in the blog world. Give them six months and it will be all about Raf neon wetsuits paired with a leather necktie and Kanye West x UGG's gator skin boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads