• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Holy crap. You guys keep finding amazing fabrics and pillaging my pocket book. Wow wow wow.

LOL guilty as charged! Glad to hear that you like them!

I’m always interested in a black watch doyle. A few months ago you mentioned a black watch flannel that Hickey Freeman had. Is that still available, and would that be lighter weight than the heavyweight black watch?

Yes, they do have a suiting twill blackwatch there. 100% wool, 4-season weight, beautiful soft hand.

I don't have an exact pic of the cloth by itself, but here it is made up into a J.Press sportcoat...

J.-Press-Black-Watch-Tartan-Sportcoat.jpg

It's a full-price fabric, so would be $475 in the Doyle. Just drop me an email ([email protected]) and we'll hook it up for you!

jms

Reaction score
think my question got buried. are the space dye rivets machine washable? will they shrink? i usually shrink my 33s down. wondering if i should order a 33 or if i should try a 32 since no shrinkage

I do something similar. I cold wash 33" rivets, then dry on high heat for about 10 minutes and pull them out to hang dry the rest of the way. (I don't have a pair of space dye that I've tried this with, though, just regular cotton.)

Mister GeeGollyGosh

Reaction score
The belt loops on my Cali canvas Wilhelms were smaller than past Whilhems. I can only fit my slimmest belt through them. Before I order some Cannonball canvas, I was wondering if this is a quirk of the Cali canvas or if I can expect it to be typical of Wilhelms moving forward?

It is good to see the Wilhelm drought is over.

L.I.T.

Reaction score
Wilhelm Chino Project: 12oz Canvas & Air Force Wool Blend

KXNNHGVuAW5VFdl5QwwoNpwj9Xk-lQtzVcoSOO5o-p4lO9JDm1m9Oei8qI2vq7tWuoAVM4jPob7r3BJIIoWnwW_1Y8L4ellQCLjlyoC9a0yDw0hB42LJCc0=s0-d-e1-ft

The Best-Fitting Pant for Bigger Legs

The Wilhelm is designed to be the best-fitting chino for men with larger thighs. If you're into weightlifting, cycling, sprinting, or crossfit, then this will give you a fit that's functional, comfortable, and flattering.

After re-introducing this shape in the Spring, we're happy to offer it once again in five amazing fabrics! We have four colors of our famously sturdy "Cannonball" canvas... any of which will make for a perfect everyday pant for the Fall/Winter

And we're offering our exclusive deadstock Air Force Wool Blend. Originally milled for the Blue Angels, this mix of Dacron and wool has a gorgeous vibrant color, a soft hand, and the ease of machine-washing.

If you're a fan of the Wilhelm, then this is a great opportunity to stock up. As always, only certain colors and sizes will be offered as open stock, so by preordering, you can get your exact color & size, and save 25% off our MSRP.

ORDER LINK BELOW
Wilhelm Chino Project in Cannonball Canvas & Air Force Wool Blend: $115 to $135

3bc5Wkg1bqHXS2CrEZGyifusxAW4NcUPYfmk5irtlp512V__CAQfO3hDSjFxtgy2GmsDiUt67QBedIRuge4jOM9GgyIwjPLexixuvBWGBlFAIFDwG0U-Gzs=s0-d-e1-ft
YCmqREWTtJb2RnostbUEqfIR4mLr3rNHJzmEH8srMAOKyhCL7pmJyidx9IQAaR8yJvn6mjrLw092urPMKnwMfAkoQM035c3sU_dtkFiJOEbDWOUN2N91Z74=s0-d-e1-ft
OqnFlUqVsKX5IKbdBuQbzcTKAl4pPMHzzOE3yhy3mqF9kgX6A8zSHPawD6DMr0I6523SBe4QfUjp9qD5dWmj41ZxA5RKa3Yp5XAzjoeoIFpnaFfjH6M7PB8=s0-d-e1-ft
rSbAGoIEEMdLSzwThKdF3TGj73rrkpLMGu8hRbxbS68nFLpCN-YtpCe-omkHVtQqBrED9fx1qHDfAZk8X_ffGGNsQHAUK745yBknBBGvtd_KqRiMufN2MNs=s0-d-e1-ft
RjfXvWAXhWHQzrF3YC2fk6D0oTiSKhNxUPe_4_M-UpPfTE9c6dhC3jRmlWldwQUuQ4qxBA5nzWaqlqd4mTd1faKcne-AD3qh4rIa6w6Rfqd6KnQzJYKqpA0=s0-d-e1-ft

L.I.T.

Reaction score
We just got in a beautiful Aero MTO Cafe Racer in Russet Badalassi Midweight Steerhide for a customer. Here's some shoots of it outside in natural light. It's really waxy yet supple to the touch and shouldn't require much break in time to wear comfortably or at all really.

Cafe Racer Russet Badalassi Mainjpg.jpg
Cafe Racer Russet Badalassi Rear.jpg
Cafe Racer Russet Badalassi Detail.jpg

BadalassiRusset_fac982ff-a4e2-40b7-89e8-474c61673e34_800x.jpg

SteveL91

Reaction score
What's the deadline for the Wilhelm preorder? I really want the Air Force Blue, but I'd also like to wait until some of my current orders come in just to make sure the fit still works for me.

utopiaburger

Reaction score
The belt loops on my Cali canvas Wilhelms were smaller than past Whilhems. I can only fit my slimmest belt through them. Before I order some Cannonball canvas, I was wondering if this is a quirk of the Cali canvas or if I can expect it to be typical of Wilhelms moving forward?

It is good to see the Wilhelm drought is over.

I noticed that with my cali canvas Wilhelms too - belt loops are small and rear pockets are shallow.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What's the deadline for the Wilhelm preorder? I really want the Air Force Blue, but I'd also like to wait until some of my current orders come in just to make sure the fit still works for me.

@SteveL91 we've got to close the Wilhelm order tomorrow, but we can always run an Air Force custom for you down the road.

Any plans for a run of plain canvas Doyles just like the old days?

Yes, actually!

So, I'm thinking to do something cool with the Cannonball Canvas.

When it's raw, it's a great fabric as a pant. It's tough and stiff and breaks in quickly. Gives off the strength and feel of a really nice denim.

But it's a little difficult as a Doyle. The fabric takes more work to break in as a jacket, and really stiff chore coats aren't as cool as really stiff chinos.

Years ago we did a little project where we pumice washed an equivalently heavy canvas jacket and I loved the results. It's wonderfully broken in and totally preshrunk. The garment is soft and drapes perfectly. The big texture of the cannonball canvas gives you this great vintage, 3D fade. It adds a bit to the cost, but we can still hit a really good price with a preorder. Maybe $150? Would actually be cheaper than the original $175 price of the Doyle from 2013.

What would you guys think of that?

espen

Reaction score
Heck yeah that would be interesting! Think you’ll run a test sample to see how it breaks in?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Heck yeah that would be interesting! Think you’ll run a test sample to see how it breaks in?

Definitely yeah! We'd run two samples... one to wash, and one as a control.

I'm actually planning to shoot a little instructional video about this process. We'll be putting laidback pants into cutting by the end of the week. The first step is to make two identical samples. You dye one and keep the other one raw. After that, you take the two pieces to the marking & grading company to create a new marker (a cutting pattern for the fabric). Compare raw to washed and try to calculate how much the marker needs to be enlarged to account for the shrinkage.

It's an interesting process, I'm going to try and document it this time.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quickly flashing over to Hickey Freeman... we just received our very first Loro Piana Zenit Sportcoat!

This is the most luxurious fabric that we've ever offered. It's INSANE how nice this stuff feels. 90% cashmere, 5% vicuna, and 5% silk. Offered in this rad cream & mocha farmer's check.

We have enough cloth left to do two more garments. You can order it as a sportcoat here, or order it as a Doyle or Field Jacket here.

There's a detailed video of the cloth at both of these links.

Zenit Lapel.jpg
Zenit Ticket.jpg
Zenit Detail.jpg

L.I.T.

Reaction score
SAMURAI OF SPACE DYE BEST OUTFIT CONTEST

Hey guys so we totally dropped the ball on this contest for the Shell Cordovan Wallet. We're still looking to run it since a lot of you have received your space dye Rivet Chinos, Kamigatas, Field Jackets, Doyle's, etc.

Instead of the best fit photos though Eva wanted to suggest who puts together the best outfit for a mirror selfie featuring a Space Dye garment. Since most of you are probably pretty busy and don't have a whole lot of time to make a whole composition of a photo with perfect lighting and background. So we wanted to make the point of entry a bit easier and casual with the judging to be based off of who puts it together best rather than who took the best photo.

Let me know what you guys think and we'll get this contest rolling. Otherwise this wallet will sit eternally in limbo at the studio. :(

31FC06B7-E63A-4BAC-B2BB-7853F078BD93.JPG

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
SAMURAI OF SPACE DYE BEST OUTFIT CONTEST

Hey guys so we totally dropped the ball on this contest for the Shell Cordovan Wallet. We're still looking to run it since a lot of you have received your space dye Rivet Chinos, Kamigatas, Field Jackets, Doyle's, etc.

Instead of the best fit photos though Eva wanted to suggest who puts together the best outfit for a mirror selfie featuring a Space Dye garment. Since most of you are probably pretty busy and don't have a whole lot of time to make a whole composition of a photo with perfect lighting and background. So we wanted to make the point of entry a bit easier and casual with the judging to be based off of who puts it together best rather than who took the best photo.

Let me know what you guys think and we'll get this contest rolling. Otherwise this wallet will sit eternally in limbo at the studio. :(

View attachment 1828335

Bumping because I'd love to get everyone's feedback on this.

I'm old school enough to remember the days of @StanleyVanBuren and Co. setting up entire photo shoot concepts to show off their outfits. But times have changed for pretty much all of the affiliate threads on here. It seems like the default photo is a simple mirror selfie.. and that's actually really great. I enjoy the ones that Greg from No Man Walks Alone shoots a lot...

d8a9a130-4a74-4d62-89a8-6cf206f4bec2-jpeg.1825998

It's not about him or the setting... it's all about the clothes, and the outfits that he puts together. It makes the entire process a lot easier and more casual. Lots of guys shooting the same kind of pic choose to crop out their faces, and that's totally fine too.

And I think this makes particularly good sense with the Space Dye because it's a unique mix of colors and texture. Matching it to other pieces isn't a simple process, and it would be rad to see who can bring a really great and unexpected look.

I'm also in the same boat. It's funny, but about a month ago I was trying to post a fit pic to r/womenstreetwear on Reddit. I was wearing a fairly cool outfit, and it's good to be present in multiple communities there. I took a really clear, full body mirror pic and posted it. Two minutes later it was deleted because they don't allow mirrors or phones to be visible in photos.

And even though it would be simple for me to reshoot this (I have a literal photo studio and a remote trigger), I just didn't feel like it and I let it go. I really want to make this contest as simple and as fun as possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads