• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally decided on merlot in 38.

Here’s a stupid question no one can answer. How do I know when/if I need 36 instead of 38? I’m able to wear my 38 sashiko Doyle over an undershirt, flannel, and tightish denim jacket. Which is cool, but normally i just wear it over an undershirt and button up. Maybe it would look better more fitted in a 36. Or maybe I’d look like a sausage. I know these aren’t final sale, but I don’t want to risk missing out from ordering too small.

Kind of personal preference, but I've been drifting away from really fitted stuff for some time now.

jesse_dylan

Reaction score
Kind of personal preference, but I've been drifting away from really fitted stuff for some time now.
I can always get the waist taken in maybe too? I was never into fitted stuff, but I’ve lost weight, and now it seems like stuff is tight in the chest and loose in the waist and kind of bags out in back. My epaulet Doyles and Sinclair are actually way better in this regard just due to the cut and design. I appreciate it!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet - may have asked earlier ----- how do the blue, green, and brown dyes on this run compared to earlier sashiko versions of same?

Thanks for asking:

1) Azure is lighter and more blue than Indigo. It’s pretty close to the “Marine” color that we offered earlier in the year

2) Army is more green and olive drab than Spruce. If you imagine the mix of colors, then Army is more in the yellow range while Spruce is in the blue range. We tried to match it more closely to a vintage military jacket tone.

3) Mink is darker and a lot more brown than Raisin. It’s freaking boss!

Any sneakers on the horizon? Specifically slip-ons?

Not for this season, any new sneakers will be in the Spring

I can always get the waist taken in maybe too? I was never into fitted stuff, but I’ve lost weight, and now it seems like stuff is tight in the chest and loose in the waist and kind of bags out in back. My epaulet Doyles and Sinclair are actually way better in this regard just due to the cut and design. I appreciate it!

Definitely go for the 38. If anyone is waffling between two sizes in Sashiko Doyles, then I’ll always advice the larger one

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sashiko Doyle photo dudes... I didn't forget about the contest! I'm putting together the voting thread for later tonight and will post up the link. We're already cutting the denim bomber jackets on Monday, so the lucky winner will get his reward with a quickness.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just a quick note... anyone who comes to the San Francisco trunk show can have their IS fit crafted by the most experienced guy in the entire biz....

D4122119-93EB-481C-BDB5-E3C3B7BC7C60.jpeg

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you see Jim, can you ask him if he has any dress shirt fabrics beyond what you carry on your website? Particularly, blue striped shirts of any kind (especially thin stripes). I have to believe they have a better selection. Or if not, ask him to accept customer’s own cloth.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We just took delivery of (EDIT: FOUR) stock units in one of the bossest overcoats ever. The story goes like this:

1) Southwick commissioned this exclusive "Moss & Iron" Harris Tweed tartan last year

2) They had some fabric left over, so I ordered into it at a slight discount and made up six stock units of the Quincy. One sold in a customer appointment, and the other five are online now.

3) The MTO price in Harris Tweed is $1195. We priced this stock jacket at $995 -- AND -- you can get 20% off until Saturday. Final price is then $796, which is almost $400 off the MTO price. Plus you get it shipped right now.

4) We have sizes 39, 41, and 43. I recommend sizing up one for the Quincy, so these are closer to a true 38, 40, and 42.

5) This Tartan is absolutely perfect. It's a fairly big scale, but the colors are muted so you don't go into Monty Hall or the Italian Job territory. The dominant olive tones means that it works great with grey, navy, khaki, caramel, and brown trousers -- and it's of course really boss with jeans.

If we have your size and you dig it, then don't sleep on this jacket. We won't have any other stock in this shape and the fabric is long gone. Click here to check it out online and that 20% discount will automatically populate into your cart at checkout. If it doesn't, then the code is quincy20

View attachment 1232041 View attachment 1232042 View attachment 1232043 View attachment 1232044 View attachment 1232045 View attachment 1232046

Just a note since I know they have their hands full, I purchased a 41r in this but it was just too snug in the chest for me so I've returned it. Do not sleep the pattern matching is incredible.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Is herringbone linen Doyle machine-washable? Can I tumble dry it?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sneaker Clearance (Styleforum discount preview)

Hey guys,

I've spoken a little bit about our sneaker collection this year. I'm honestly at a crossroads with it.

On one hand, the product is excellent and we have (literally) thousands of past customers and sales.

On the other, there's more competition out there than ever, and I won't really hold my own against all of the sneaker start-ups without investing a lot in both inventory and marketing. And I'm not totally sure that it's the best use of our time and energy. We may be better served just focusing on the clothing items that we do exceptionally well.

There's only one of me, so I have to decide: do I want to try and sell hundreds of sneakers (along with acquiring customers, dealing with returns, etc) or do I want to set up a larger scale and functional MTO chino and jean program? At the moment, unless I find a partner on the footwear, I'm leaning towards the second scenario.

So.. all that said.. I'm going to clear out our remaining inventory and take the sneaker category offline. It may be back in Spring 2020 and it may not. If you dig our Sport Trainer, then this may be the last chance to get a pair.. and Ghost Horsehide is one of the best offerings that we've ever done. I'm going to offer 30% off with the code below. If you click on it, it should take you to the item itself and auto-populate the code. This will go out in the newsletter tomorrow, so you heard it here first!

sportfinalsale30

Sport_Ghost_Studio_Main_2048x.jpg

SPORT TRAINER GHOST HORSEHIDE: $185.50 w/code

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads