• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here's some preview pics! We're working on a made in LA overcoat for the Fall.. will be done in either heavy tweed or Brisbane moss moleskin, raglan sleeves, center belt, fully lined body and sleeves. Hoping to hit $495 retail on it in wool, and $450 in moleskin.

This initial sample is one size too big for the model and needs a few fixes (shoulders brought in, armholes rotated, pockets dropped), but it's about 85% of the way there. Hoping that the second iteration in a few weeks is spot on. What do you guys think?

DSC05458.jpg
DSC05464.jpg
DSC05462.jpg
DSC05460.jpg

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very much like that idea and am in the market. Please try and source a patterned tweed if possible. Not herringbone. Thanks for listening to the request! @Epaulet

Regarding the chainstich shirts. I’ve bought one but won’t get it for 3-4 weeks. In the event more goodness comes down the pipe and I want to mop, Am I comfortable thinking these will fit like the Gen 1 Somelos? I like that roomier fit for what I deem these to be a light “overshirt”

Thanks

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's some preview pics! We're working on a made in LA overcoat for the Fall.. will be done in either heavy tweed or Brisbane moss moleskin, raglan sleeves, center belt, fully lined body and sleeves. Hoping to hit $495 retail on it in wool, and $450 in moleskin.

This initial sample is one size too big for the model and needs a few fixes (shoulders brought in, armholes rotated, pockets dropped), but it's about 85% of the way there. Hoping that the second iteration in a few weeks is spot on. What do you guys think?

View attachment 974576
View attachment 974577
View attachment 974579
View attachment 974580

You know how I feel Mike :inlove:. 1+ for a patterned wool, I think @CanadaCal and I are pretty much after the same thing at this point.

7MKka.gif

Here is the jacket I picture. I think a sleeve cuff detail would be worthwhile adding. I want to say maybe slightly larger collar as well (hard to tell in your pics since one is sitting larger than the other)

balmacaan-coat-houndstooth-he-spoke-style-michael-andrews-bespoke-rain_1024x1024.jpg

balmacaan-coat-houndstooth-he-spoke-style-michael-andrews-bespoke-buttoned_1024x1024.jpg

balmacaan-coat-houndstooth-raglan-sleeve-he-spoke-style-michael-andrews-bespoke.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You know how I feel Mike :inlove:. 1+ for a patterned wool, I think @CanadaCal and I are pretty much after the same thing at this point.

Here is the jacket I picture. I think a sleeve cuff detail would be worthwhile adding. I want to say maybe slightly larger collar as well (hard to tell in your pics since one is sitting larger than the other)

Agreed on the tweed patterns.
But let's not kill herringbone if it's done well!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

So, regarding the tweed... I think that it's realistic for us to make this jacket in one cotton and one wool. And just to be transparent, the wool would either be a herringbone or a donegal-ish solid. The reason is: that's far more likely to sell. We actually did really well with our Quincy/Fenway MTO orders for Southwick. But out of something like 80 units sold, maybe 8 or 9 of those are non-solids. I think that many guys have a hard time picturing themselves in a strong pattern like that. So I honestly wouldn't consider it for a stock offering.

That said, I'm planning to return to Southwick for our July promo, and we'll go hard on Fall/Winter fabrics for overcoats, so there should be a TON of options available via that route. Higher price point to be sure, but it will be cool to offer a lot of options so that there's something for everyone.

Great call on that cuff detail @Burzan , I'm going to add that in for the second sample. Agreed that it could use something there.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys!

So, regarding the tweed... I think that it's realistic for us to make this jacket in one cotton and one wool. And just to be transparent, the wool would either be a herringbone or a donegal-ish solid. The reason is: that's far more likely to sell. We actually did really well with our Quincy/Fenway MTO orders for Southwick. But out of something like 80 units sold, maybe 8 or 9 of those are non-solids. I think that many guys have a hard time picturing themselves in a strong pattern like that. So I honestly wouldn't consider it for a stock offering.

That said, I'm planning to return to Southwick for our July promo, and we'll go hard on Fall/Winter fabrics for overcoats, so there should be a TON of options available via that route. Higher price point to be sure, but it will be cool to offer a lot of options so that there's something for everyone.

Great call on that cuff detail @Burzan , I'm going to add that in for the second sample. Agreed that it could use something there.

That makes sense in regards to the stock colors. I vote for a dark brown in that case but if you end up with a grey herringbone I can't hate on that, still looks fantastic.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could also go Hereingbone, just not navy or grey. Got those covered already.
The right brown or olive bone and I’m down.

Basically I’m after exactly what @Burzan posted. And was very close to going with a Southwick Quincy. Really want a Raglan shoulder however, and a belt is a nice touch.

I would have bought this from the initial Quincy MTO.

4691DA27-F2FF-4073-8CBB-373163203A47.png

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet
All about that but would love it to be wearable without a belt (eg no belt loops or side belt loops where they are not very visible)

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet
All about that but would love it to be wearable without a belt (eg no belt loops or side belt loops where they are not very visible)

@wigglr yup, good call.. that's exactly the plan, we have two low profile side loops, so it's easy to wear without the belt. And the overall shape is less blousy.. this guy is wearing a size 38 in Southwick and my sample is a 40, so it looks bulkier on him than it should.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, price and style are on point. I just tried a Coherence jacket on (single breasted and raglan shoulders approx 39” length) and it was amazing but your price point would be so much better. Would also prefer it around 35-37” in length

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's going to be a cool coat. Regarding wool offerings, I think a shade in the brown family (whether herringbone or not) is a little better if you're only offering one and here's the reason. The balmacaan style overcoat is usually in a gabardine or tweed fabric and always will have raglan sleeves. Those are characteristics of coats of a more casual nature (to which I refer to as something less formal than a business suit). I would imagine the fall/winter wardrobes of the majority of folks here heavily rely on earth tone colors. Therefore, I would suggest that folks would have an easier time integrating such a coat in their rotation if it was in a color (some sort of brown) that would more easily compliment those earthy color tones. I purchased a similar coat 2 years ago and went with a brownish herringbone tweed instead of charcoal for this specific reason.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet

+1 to this.

It's hard to tell how long the jacket is on the model because we cannot see his feet, but it looks like it might be about an inch or so short for my tastes. Ideally, I'd like to see it hit right at the top of the knees.

Also glad to see the raglan sleeves.

I agree with CLTesquire that brown shades are the way to go for a coat like this. I try to avoid charcoals and greys and black for outerwear because they are harder to work into my existing wardrobe than something in some shade of brown or olive.

@Epaulet - Last, if you do one in moleskin, will it be heavier than the moleskin used in your trousers? Part of the appeal of moleskin is how it breaks in and develops its own patina but I would think it might need to be a bit heavier for a jacket that is going to experience a lot of movement around the arms and might be something that somebody would wear multiple times a week in the fall and winter compared to a pair of trousers which they might have more to choose from in their rotation.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy