• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

avsmusic1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A washer agitator will make odd fades like those pictured above. If not turned inside out and if part a load where the pants don't actually move much the agitator basically just wacks/scraps the odd spots it contacts

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any update on when the Hertling trousers are going to ship? I ordered six pairs at the end of February...

Some folks have started getting theirs.

Picked up 5 pairs myself. Could have used those moleskins in today’s monsoon weather.

DapperDan08

Reaction score

Picked up 5 pairs myself. Could have used those moleskins in today’s monsoon weather.
My guess is that Epaulet will ship when all of the order comes in, so if you ordered more pairs it might take longer.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I suspect that many dudes on here know more about denim and fades than I do, but I can speak from personal experience.

Back in like 2004, I was reading the superfuture site and spent like $275 on a pair of selvedge Nudie jeans. I resolved to fade them like the dudes on that site and I wore them for around 6 months without washing.. just airing them out and maybe dry cleaning two or three times. I'll confirm that this totally worked.. the jeans looked INSANELY faded when I finally washed them in water. But they also more or less disintegrated at the crotch and knees. So I wouldn't advise this.

But Dylan Eckman... our former sales director.. always had great fades on his jeans without this crazy technique. I think that the crucial elements were:

1) He wore a single pair at a time, typically 4-5 times a week

2) They fit him fairly closely

3) He went a few weeks between washings. I think that wearing them a lot without very frequent washing is the key. This is also convenient if you live in Brooklyn and there's no washer in your unit.

4) He always hung dry them, and never put them into a dryer.

I'm sure that he wasn't using any kind of special soap, and I'd be skeptical that it really makes a difference in the long run. Turning the garments inside out before washing can't hurt. s

So from this thread, am I correct to assume that the newest batch of duck canvas Doyles (navy/olive) are a stiffer breed of material than the OG bunch that some had previously? Is it the weight or the weave of the material?

@goalaso the new duck is heavier (12oz) than the duck we used in the original Doyle's of 2014 (10oz). I think that's the main difference, although different colors have different levels of stiffness. For whatever reason, the Navy Duck is the stiffest of the batch and Walnut is the softest.

You guys carrying the drawstring trousers this season? What are those called again?

@teddieriley you bet, the EZ Pant is absolutely on my radar. Hoping to get the final sample next week.

Any update on when the Hertling trousers are going to ship? I ordered six pairs at the end of February...

@JSO1 my apologies for the delay.. we're waiting on two final boxes from them.. about 70 units or so outstanding. If you ordered a bunch, we probably have one or two and are waiting to consolidate. The last remaining ones will come this week. We're filling the orders as soon as we get the merchandise, but with the factory closing and all, they've had some hiccups in timing, and there's just no controlling that. We'll get them out ASAP after they arrive!

@peppercorn78 we shipped about 85 pairs on Friday, so a bunch more are en-route to everyone!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ awesome. I’m 100% committed to wearing my 3 F/W at least once before putting them away for the season.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Dudes. So excited for this tomorrow!!

Spiral Doyle Detail.jpg

AloysiusSF

Reaction score
Man, very stoked I picked up one of the pine guys! Also, and assume this is cool but just to check back in again -- for the sashiko indigo doyle (and the pine one as well) -- does cold wash / air dry work? Would a tumble dry shrink the garment at all?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Man, very stoked I picked up one of the pine guys! Also, and assume this is cool but just to check back in again -- for the sashiko indigo doyle (and the pine one as well) -- does cold wash / air dry work? Would a tumble dry shrink the garment at all?

Cold wash air dry all the way. You'll get the best fading and longevity out of it that way. Machine drying won't hurt it, but it will fade less over time.

These garments shrink a ton in the dye process.. over a full size, so I don't think it's really possible for anything to make the fabric shrink any more. The main thing about machine drying is it tends to fade colors uniformly over multiple uses, while regular wear & washing will fade the top of the fabric texture more than the base.. like the pumice-washed effect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads