• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike, I paid as soon as I saw the email and was charged the full price with no credit from the original deposit.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
And damnit on the edge....I'm kind of torn on what I'm going to do....

@PorterInjax I'll let the guys know to wait on your shipping. I've fielded a few calls today. It's not ideal, but still a great makeup, and if you like the fit and styling of Alden, then this is the only way that they're going to deliver Black Shell for the future. The brass eyes set it off really nicely and the price is pretty good, as we're sticking with the 2014 quote. I don't normally order myself a pair in these runs, but a customer canceled a 9.5D, so I think that they're coming my way.

Last edited:

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much it costs to have a cobbler put on an antique edge? And who does that reliably these days?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I was speaking with a very knowledgable friend about this, and he told me that B.Nelson in NY and Randy the Cobbler in AZ both offer edge refinishing. I imagine that the side is pretty easy and fast to do, but that black storm welt probably has to stay. So you'd most likely have a two-tone effect at the top.

I can reach out to them tomorrow and get an idea on price and turnaround time. I'll see if they have any example photos as well.

If anyone wants to use their service, we can certainly send the boots there, but I can't pay for or guarantee their work. So once it leaves our hands, the customer would have to deal with them directly.

Although.. the upside is.. if you end up with a rare pair of post-2015 Black Shell Cordovan Alden's with a sole that isn't black, you'd be ruling the roost on the #aldenarmy of Instagram.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any 10.5 Es cancel?? ;

In other news, yowza! Alden MSRP sure is getting up there. 775 for the tanker! That's nearly as much as the bourbon she'll Vass boots I just bought. :(

On the other hand... That tanker is awesome...

Last edited:

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, all of this is exactly why I have lost much of my interest in Alden. Hard to think of a clothing/shoe company that I am more "over."

Cost increases, insanely long lead times, and bizarre limitations on makeup configurations have really left me scratching my head. Add to that the fact that most new #8 shell is practically black and the fact that my last new pair of Aldens looked like absolute **** (not from EP, promptly returned) and I just don't see the point.

Much more interested in more affordable lines like EP's in-house stuff or going full tilt on EG or StC caliber stuff these days...

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, all of this is exactly why I have lost much of my interest in Alden. Hard to think of a clothing/shoe company that I am more "over."

Cost increases, insanely long lead times, and bizarre limitations on makeup configurations have really left me scratching my head. Add to that the fact that most new #8 shell is practically black and the fact that my last new pair of Aldens looked like absolute **** (not from EP, promptly returned) and I just don't see the point.

Much more interested in more affordable lines like EP's in-house stuff or going full tilt on EG or StC caliber stuff these days...

Starting to think the same way. I've known for years that when you buy a pair of Alden's, you need to take the time to inspect them carefully before putting any wear on them. Having them make such a major change to the Ryden boot without communicating this to their customers comes across as a BIG F U. I love the shell boots and shoes from them that I currently own but think it's about time to move on to something else....that being said, when is the Alt Wein shell boot special make up coming in? :)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78