• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Abecedarian

Reaction score
Ok, I really (really!) love my Midnight Rand Single Monks I got a few months ago, I've never received so many complements when wearing a pair of shoes before. Now I'd like to get a pair of brown shoes to kind of round out my collection. I'm digging the Ellison Medallion Captoes but I'm worried they'd be kinda overdressed for something like a button-down shirt tucked into a pair of khakis or chinos, standard business casual, 9-5 wear. What do y'all think?
I think the Ellison captoes would look a little incongruous with chinos. I'd opt for the CXL Alt Weins; it's a really handsome casual shoe that can dress up.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harris Tweed Walt today:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think the Ellison captoes would look a little incongruous with chinos.  I'd opt for the CXL Alt Weins; it's a really handsome casual shoe that can dress up.

Great reco...I love that shoe, and I'm shocked I haven't bought one yet...though I just sold a pair of LWBs so maybe...

My instincts tell me not to like this, that they don't work, but knowing you and your style a bit I think its GREAT W. Always nice to see different fits to inspire.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Rob. I've been in love with creased and high waisted trousers worn casually lately. This was why I picked up more of the Regiment Twill Walts! :)

neutrino

Reaction score
^ W, I second Rob here. Not sure how I feel about trousers + sneakers in general, but that combo doesn't seem too odd to me for some reason
smile.gif

Quote:
Applky, Mike, thank you!
I've done a bit of homework perusing the search function in this thread, so a few more thoughts. As I mentioned, I don't wear suits, by that I also mean that I don't wear sportcoats. However, now that I think about it, I could probably make use of one during the warmer half of the year. I've read that the Caine actually works better as a sportcoat in more casual outfits. Bearing in mind that I dress casually 99% of the time (1% being occasions like the upcoming wedding), if I only were to choose one - and I can afford one for the near future - would the Caine be a better choice over the Weller?
Also, I'll be figuring out my size in the SCs later on, but a question to Mike - what's the ETA for a restock of the navy hopsack Caine in 38?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Margiela? 
You know what season those were from?

a

Probably spring/summer of 2011? Bought them a couple or years ago from yoox.

nd1nd2nd3

Reaction score
Mike - it looks like I missed the lavender Oxford in my size - are you going to have more of those or is that it?

mattp

Reaction score
Because they are awesome, Mike, Matt and co. took a pair of navy Walts I bought a while back to the factory and had them add side tabs. Now they'll look even better with the vest in a three-piece suit. Thanks, guys—this really made my day.

dinted voice

Reaction score

Here is a question for anyone who may have experience.

I have a number of shirts in Large that are a bit tight in the belly. Does anyone have experience with getting darts removed? I guess specifically:

1) I am assuming plain white shirts are probably a no no as you would be able to see the needle marks were for the darts, but what about patterned shirts? Are they noticeable?

2) Can anyone estimate (maybe Mike) how much room this should give (ie an inch or Two?)

Thanks,
Jamie

I have removed darts on two shirts pretty easily. One before washing and another after a year of wear. Both were patterned and I had no issues. My guess on how much it adds is probably 2 inches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics