• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ericgereghty @rdsr @AWu @samu12ai

Black Museum Seamless Whole cut
HAF sole on EG + Norwegian chain stitch

The price is 556euro ex vat (695euro with vat)

Confirmed? or would like to change other colour?
1. Can we get an example of the museum? I've never seen it from EB.
2. Can you clarify what EG means?
3. I'm not interested in chain stitching, so I'm out if that's a part of the makeup.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown Meseum Calf with Red Suede, pairs with Black Denim with Red Thread.
Double Monk Boots in 74945 Last.

425CEA1A-9D64-48C2-895E-FDCAF7895207.jpeg

rdsr

Reaction score

Black Museum Seamless Whole cut
HAF sole on EG + Norwegian chain stitch

The price is 556euro ex vat (695euro with vat)

Confirmed? or would like to change other colour?

I also wonder how black museum looks like. If it resolves to dark grey I am probably fine with it, hopefully not just appear straight black. Would actually prefer reddish brown as well, but like more red than brown so not sure if it is to everyone's taste.
Can't do Norwegian chain stitch however, so will have to drop out if that's final

Last edited:

frighter3

Reaction score

I refer to the John Lobb Black Museum Calf as reference as below:-

It seems like black with a little grey under the sun light.

HAF sole on EG means HAF sole of Edward Green ones.

We could without norwegian chain stitch, how about less vote:-

Black Museum calf: frighter3
Black Calf: frighter3
Brown Museum Calf: frighter3

Norwegian: frighter3
Withour Norwegain : frighter3

samu12ai

Reaction score

View attachment 1281373 View attachment 1281374

Really like that black museum. I'd like the chain stiching so if that's the final make up that I'll drop out

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1281373 View attachment 1281374

Have you confirmed EB can access that type of leather? As far as I’m aware, that type of black museum is not frequently provided, with JL being one of the few makers who does. I’ve not seen any vendor who provides EB list a black museum in their offerings.

If EB can source that leather, I’m fine with either black option. No interest in chain stitching.

I’d also propose using a “Cuban,” tapered heel, which I would consider a more elegant option.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Have you confirmed EB can access that type of leather? As far as I’m aware, that type of black museum is not frequently provided, with JL being one of the few makers who does. I’ve not seen any vendor who provides EB list a black museum in their offerings.

If EB can source that leather, I’m fine with either black option. No interest in chain stitching.

I’d also propose using a “Cuban,” tapered heel, which I would consider a more elegant option.
I have done several mto's with EB and never heard of the possibility of black museum. There used to be radica deep blue but of course that isn't black. Also wondering about the HAF sole. Basically this is double leather tapering towards single leather at the waist. This is done by Vass and EG but never seen this with EB. EB has the Japanese waist but although it may look similar it is totally different. In this case the waist isn't Goodyear welted but Blake stitched.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have done several mto's with EB and never heard of the possibility of black museum. There used to be radica deep blue but of course that isn't black. Also wondering about the HAF sole. Basically this is double leather tapering towards single leather at the waist. This is done by Vass and EG but never seen this with EB. EB has the Japanese waist but although it may look similar it is totally different. In this case the waist isn't Goodyear welted but Blake stitched.
Sounds about right regarding the leather. I do believe they'll do a fiddleback (do they call it a donkey, or am I losing my mind?), waist correct?

rdsr

Reaction score
The black museum looks good, if they can source it, so does their deep blue. I am fine with either. Although might prefer plain navy over museum when it comes to the blue.
I believe they do call their fiddleback a donkey back, and if I recall that is a sole option which is separate from the waist option. So I think you can request a fiddleback with a Japanese waist or a fiddleback with a "standard" waist or their other offerings. I am thinking steer away from the Japanese waist...
However I wonder if a double sole/HAF sole are available with fiddleback.

Also just wondering is this GMTO being done through a retailer, if so which? or is this through EB directly?

Last edited:

Meyboom

Reaction score
The black museum looks good, if they can source it, so does their deep blue. I am fine with either. Although might prefer plain navy over museum when it comes to the blue.
I believe they do call their fiddleback a donkey back, and if I recall that is a sole option which is separate from the waist option. So I think you can request a fiddleback with a Japanese waist or a fiddleback with a "standard" waist or their other offerings. I am thinking steer away from the Japanese waist...
However I wonder if a double sole/HAF sole are available with fiddleback.

Also just wondering is this GMTO being done through a retailer, if so which? or is this through EB directly?
This is how I understand it as well. Donkey is a kind of soft, rounded fiddleback. The waist options include a standard waist, a bombe waist (rounded edge) or Japanese waist (Blake stitched).

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is how I understand it as well. Donkey is a kind of soft, rounded fiddleback. The waist options include a standard waist, a bombe waist (rounded edge) or Japanese waist (Blake stitched).
Well, here's hoping we hear back in the affirmative regarding black museum. That would be an awesome surprise.

frighter3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am asking through Skoak, but currently until now they did not response me to response confirming if black museum calf could be contain.

But when i ask for the price quote, they did not mentioned that it can't be source.

So I believe, they might have their source way to obtain it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads