• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ENZO BONAFÉ MTO and GMTO Central

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I replied on the Reddit post already prior to seeing this one, re: the 2 gmtos. I have some interest in both options as well as the one that @nishant suggested.

I have a pair of jumpers on the 363mod last that feel a hair short and a hair narrow at the ball and perhaps at the front part of the waist. Would this width concern be exacerbated on the 74945 last? Also, can anyone who's played with feathering vs. sizing up talk to me about expectations for both approaches in terms of width?

I would think so. 363Mod is round while 74945 is soft chisel and hence likely a bit narrower in the front.

Feathering can help with the width but not a lot. I think @stephenaf2003 gets his pairs feathered.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here is the thought ...

Jumpers
Dark Cognac Shell Uppers
Dark Cognac Shell Big Grain Shaft
363 Mod
5 + 4 ( polished brass )
360 degree Norvegese ( ? )
Either Ridgeway sole or DL w/ toecaps.

Interested: @nishant @jischwar

Potential : @stook1

What say @mugenlove ?

60C3D047-2D2B-4552-8CCE-12166B0E295C.jpeg

Last edited:

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think so. 363Mod is round while 74945 is soft chisel and hence likely a bit narrower in the front.

Feathering can help with the width but not a lot. I think @stephenaf2003 gets his pairs feathered.

I had a pair feathered or added an extra width on the 74945 last. It did help with my lil toe, but it created extra volume at the instep as now I am dealing with excessive leather at the vamp area.

Attachments

• 20200524_151014.jpg
    20200524_151014.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200524_151102.jpg
    20200524_151102.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Thanks for your input. Yes, I know that @stephenaf2003 feathers his pairs. I should have been a little more clear in my previous comment. Generally, my issue isn't with the taper of the chisel. For example, Rain last is fine. Rather than toe box, it is really a concern with the ball and the midfoot or waist or whatever the right name for that area is. I was under the impression that this element of the 74945 and 363mod were about the same but that the 74945 is elongated to account for the chisel without compromising toe box room. As for my question, I was hoping to learn whether either sizing up or feathering would result in more width given the choice between those two possible solutions. Also whether my understanding about the width of the two lasts is actually correct since I only have 363mod.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I had a pair feathered or added an extra width on the 74945 last. It did help with my lil toe, but it created extra volume at the instep as now I am dealing with excessive leather at the vamp area.

By chance, did you try also going up a length with the normal width?

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By chance, did you try also going up a length with the normal width?
I just added photos. No, otherwise would have make more sense going up a half size. It feels that handwelted shoes breaks in a bit more than GYW. If you add extra width make sure to tell them that they dont increase the instep. I think that is my issue here.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have 74945 half size bigger. Everything is about right only dealt with heel slip that is why I went a size down and increase the width only to find out instep issues and excessive leather bumps. I guess normal size would be the best. Just break in the shoes and in about 20wears little toe pressure may go away.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I also have 74945 half size bigger. Everything is about right only dealt with heel slip that is why I went a size down and increase the width only to find, but I have excessive room at the instep. I guess normal size would be the best. Just break in the shoes and in about 20wears little toe pressure would go away.

I see. That's kind of what I expected, ie. that the feathering might be similar to upsizing in terms of width. Need to scrutinize the fit of my pair a little more. I suspect that I can go up a length without slip, especially in a boot.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. That's kind of what I expected, ie. that the feathering might be similar to upsizing in terms of width. Need to scrutinize the fit of my pair a little more. I suspect that I can go up a length without slip, especially in a boot.

On a derby boot, going up 1/2 and using merino socks is what I have done a few times successfully. It makes no difference whatsoever in the comfort and a shell boot does not stretch much at all so you need not be scared about them breaking in and changing fit drastically. This does not apply to all folks however.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I replied on the Reddit post already prior to seeing this one, re: the 2 gmtos. I have some interest in both options as well as the one that @nishant suggested.

I have a pair of jumpers on the 363mod last that feel a hair short and a hair narrow at the ball and perhaps at the front part of the waist. Would this width concern be exacerbated on the 74945 last? Also, can anyone who's played with feathering vs. sizing up talk to me about expectations for both approaches in terms of width?
For my foot, the difference at the ball is quite noticeable between the 363Mod, and the 74945 last. A feather on the 363 makes them perfect, the feather on the 74945 makes them almost perfect. Again YMMV, since for me the ball is the problem area.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
No. As long as we are in agreement, Lorenzo said he can talk with Horween about getting a big grain print.

What are you thinking ?

I'm not averse to any of the various options under discussion although perhaps leaning towards the color 4 makeup. Having said that the large print shell is intriguing. Never seen it before. Another consideration could be the willow print in a darker color than the round that was done last year, which was.... Amaretto if I recall correctly? or Bourbon?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
For my foot, the difference at the ball is quite noticeable between the 363Mod, and the 74945 last. A feather on the 363 makes them perfect, the feather on the 74945 makes them almost perfect. Again YMMV, since for me the ball is the problem area.

Thanks, I replied to your PM before I realized that you'd posted to the thread. Appreciate the input. So 74945 is indeed narrower at the ball. Hmm. I'll wear my 363mod tomorrow to get a better handle on the fit. I've only worn them twice thus far.

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not averse to any of the various options under discussion although perhaps leaning towards the color 4 makeup. Having said that the large print shell is intriguing. Never seen it before. Another consideration could be the willow print in a darker color than the round that was done last year, which was.... Amaretto if I recall correctly? or Bourbon?

We can do the shaft in large print color 4 but I think @nishant isn't too keen considering he just got the make-up in willow color 4.

TBF, have color 4 vibergs and just picked up the color 2 vibergs so open to changing shell color. Would love the old-school Ravello with the red undertones but I don't think that's available anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads