• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entry level raw denim

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those aren't raw. Just overdyed from the collection. You will rarely, if ever find raw selvedge APCs on sale.

.Impulsv

Reaction score
If you're not willing to spend over $100, I'd just buy a cheap non-selvage pair and try it out. Levis offers raws in 501, 511 skinny, and 514 slim. Uniqlo offers regular and slim mid-rise cuts in raw selvage for $40, but have a zipper fly. If you end up liking it, no harm done.
This is what I did. I started with a pair of regular indigo 501 STFs, enjoyed them for the two months or so I wore them, and ended up buying a pair of LVC 1944s.

Alternatively, just buy a pair of APCs where you can find them. If you don't like them, rest assured that you will be able to get rid of them on the BST here. The loss may be comparable to the cost of one of those cheap jeans I listed above.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

If you're not willing to spend over $100, I'd just buy a cheap non-selvage pair and try it out. Levis offers raws in 501, 511 skinny, and 514 slim. Uniqlo offers regular and slim mid-rise cuts in raw selvage for $40, but have a zipper fly. If you end up liking it, no harm done.
This is what I did. I started with a pair of regular indigo 501 STFs, enjoyed them for the two months or so I wore them, and ended up buying a pair of LVC 1944s.

Alternatively, just buy a pair of APCs where you can find them. If you don't like them, rest assured that you will be able to get rid of them on the BST here. The loss may be comparable to the cost of one of those cheap jeans I listed above.

The $40 zipper fly jeans from Uniqlo are the made in China models. I think the made in Japan models (which I think are around $70 or $80) are way better, with thicker denim, a button fly, and an overall sturdier feel to them.

Someone mentioned seeing the regular straight and slim straight cuts at a Uniqlo in Paris. Hopefully they'll make it to the US for the fall/winter season. I have two pairs of regular straights - one in blue and one in black - and they're the best "beater" jeans I could ask for.

I'll echo what others have said regarding the bang-to-buck ratio of Nudies. I got my RADRSs on sale for $150 at Context, and I feel like that's a good price for what I got; it's a nice, modern cut, and it's the only pair of bootcut jeans I have (or want). I'd consider getting a pair of Grim Tim in dry selvage (blue or black), but again, only because of the cut (like Levi's 511, but with a button fly and a longer inseam).

madstaxbro

Reaction score
Well it has all been said hasn't it. I say 501 STFs are the best 'entry level raw denim' in that someone new to the magical world of denim can learn how to shrink and see what wear patterns they accrue and all that for under $50. They're also a lot more durable than one might expect.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

marg

Reaction score
I have a pair of APC NS, and the jeans are nice, but I don't think they live up to the hype. My first pair of selvedge was the Tellason John Graham Mellor, a slim straight with an angled rise. These just fit perfect. They are handmade in San Fran and cost about 200, but you may find them on sale.

JL77

Reaction score

3Sixteen doesn't have hidden rivets. 3Sixteen+ does, but those cost $300. 3Sixteen denim and construction is so much better than N&F though.

Correct that core-line 3sixteen doesn't have hidden rivets and 3sixteen+ jeans do, but there are two prices for the 3sixteen+ line; the models that are made in the US retail for $230 and the newest Made in Japan series retails for $300. 3sixteen raw indigo selvedge and raw black selvedge retail for $198.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads