Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Entry level raw denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Antonio07, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Alfa159

Alfa159 Senior member

Hmm. I thought the price increase was more substantial...

2. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

If you just want cheap raw jeans get Levis STF. Then get them tapered if you don't like how they fit. $40.

3. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Senior member

Fit is subjective, obviously depending on one's body type. Quality on unbranded is pretty shit, but 3sixteen and n&f generally use much nicer denim than APC, and there are more options in terms of weight, slubbiness, weave, etc. Construction on n&f is slightly better, more so on 3sixteen (hidden rivets etc.). In fact, even unbranded has hidden rivets and coin pocket selvage. Overall, APC isn't worth it for 175 if you care about anything other than fit. Maybe you don't, but as I said, unless the APC fits work perfectly for you, pick up a pair of n&f deep indigos, indigos, or broken twills from tobi or revolve with a 15, 20, or 30% off code from retailmenot.

APC was never that great "value" to begin with, but at that point it was really the only option for raw selvedge in the sub-200 range. Now that the price has gone up, and now that there are so many other options, it doesn't seem like that great of a deal. I don't see why people still seem to recommend it as the be-all and end-all of "entry level" selvedge denim.

EDIT: the n&f left hand twills look pretty sweet
    http://blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB_Bridge3.dll?VBPROG=\bin\shop.prodt.detail&SKU=7991700

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

4. mattt

mattt Senior member

I've yet to see fits of any of the brands mentioned that fit as well as a pair of properly sized apc ps. They pretty much always look good and you can get them all day for 100 or less slightly used.

5. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

NF, 3sixteen, Nudies, all of these brands have been out for atleast a couple of years... The reason why people still recommend APC is hardly because of scarcity of options, but because as I have reiterated previously, it offers a very compelling combination of desirable characteristics.

Good construction on NF? Please lol. I haven't seen so many misfires on stitching from $100+ jeans . The only saving grace to NF is the fact that they are on sale constantly (and to some people, their collection of gimmick fabrics).

Those that are trying to get into raw denim tend to want something basic, with no-irrelevant frills and they hardly are the kind that care about things like hidden rivets, coin pocket selvage, slubby denim, etc... In fact in the case of the latter two, it can detract from desirability (it does for me because I think that stuff looks silly). The denim nerds amongst us who like that kind of shit are better suited to spend some serious coin and getting the real deal (Japanese repro's).

6. Earnest Hemingway

[email protected] mentioning Nudies

I'll concede that construction of n&f is at the very least comparable to APC.

Yes, steel denim and kevlar denim, etc. are definitely gimmicky, but I don't see what's wrong with putting out a left hand twill or nep selvedge along with your run of the mill Japanese selvedge.

As I see it, the bottom line is that for someone looking to get into raw selvedge on the cheap, APC isn't really the way to go.

OP, if I were you I'd snag a pair of Unbranded on sale for $40-50. See if you like the whole experience, then when you have the cash go for a pair of high-end Japanese denims like momos, PBJs, triple works, etc. That way you figure out if raw is really for you and you don't have to take a chance on a pair of mid-level jeans you may not be completely satisfied with. In the long run, you'll probably be happier.

7. Two Shoes

Two Shoes Senior member

Curious, are Nudies generally not considered to be top quality? I'm new to the denim game but I've got a pair of Nudies that I love (also own SE, Acne, RRL). I guess I just don't understand the intended meaning behind the quote above.

8. Earnest Hemingway

I just didn't think Nudies really belong in a thread about best entry-level raw denim for the price. If you want to find good Japanese selvage in a pair of Nudies, you'll be looking to spend upwards of $200. Their non-selvedge models are overpriced considering the Turkish denim. Granted, Nudies has some nice fits (thin finn is genius on those of a certain build), but I've always seen them as more of a "fashion" brand than a good choice for someone looking to get into denim.

9. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

i just pulled the trigger on a pair of $190 grim tim nudies. i'll see if i like them or not. i have no other pair of expensive jeans to go by to determine quality except my levis (which cost about $70) so if they're better than those then i'll be happy. btw, are they selvedge?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

10. Earnest Hemingway

Likely not, unless they were on sale.

Where'd you get them? Most online retailers have pictures of the outseam on any selvedge jeans they sell.

11. Two Shoes

Two Shoes Senior member

Gotcha. In my (limited) experience, I have found that most quality denimz start at around 200, maybe a little less if on sale, so Nudies would qualify as entry-level in that regard. Below that, it seems like the Levis 511 and 514 are the "least expensive" options that are commonly suggested.

12. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

13. Earnest Hemingway

?

Most selvedge nudies are around $250. At that price point, you can spend a little more and get skulls, ande whalls, triple works, fullcounts, momos, or any other of the good MIJ (or MINZ in the case of the whalls) denims. I pity anyone who spends that much on Nudies, as at that point you're more paying for hype and the nudie swongs than you are for the actual construction, details, and denim.

Finding them on sale is a different story, but at that price point 3sixteen, n&f, left field, etc. are all better options.

14. Earnest Hemingway

I would return those and get a pair of raw indigo jeans from one of the brands I mentioned. The denim will be much better and they'll last you longer. Or were you looking for black x black denim?

Oh, and those aren't selvedge.

15. furo

furo Senior member

Look for a pair of LVC 1947 501s or LVC 505s on sale. I also suggest Rag & Bone RB15 or RB23 (both are Japanese denim made in the USA); seem very nice although at $195 I'd wait for their end of summer sale

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011