1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Entry level raw denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Antonio07, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Antonio07

Antonio07 Member

So I'm looking to buy my first pair of raw denim, since I want to see what all the fuss is about but I don't want to spend too much seeing as it's my first pair. My question is what are the best brand of jeans I can get, I'm looking to spend up to 100 dollars. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mathwk

mathwk Senior member

you can grab APCs when they're on sale for about that

3. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

apcs rarely if ever go on sale, spend the extra 65$ and get some apcs though, you wont regret it

4. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Senior member

I honestly don't know why people keep recommending APC. Unless you're absolutely in love with the fit (which I was when they were still 155) they're overpriced. For 175, you get decent denim made in Tunisia :/
    You can get 3sixteen (Made in USA with Japanese denim) or Naked and Famous (Made in Canada with Japanese denim). You can find Naked and Famous for around $100 on the B&S new or slightly used if you look a little. If you live near an Urban Outfitters, you can get a pair of Unbranded jeans (Made in China with Japanese denim) for 80, 40 on sale. Bottom line, APC is no longer a good paid of "entry level raws" when there is so much more out there at around the same pricepoint or less.

Also OP, next time you have a quick question go to one of these threads:

I Have A Jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - Ask Questions Here.
    http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thr...-for-beginners-ask-questions-here#post_855610

Ask A Question, Get An Answer - Ask All Quick Questions Here
    http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thr...wer-ask-all-quick-questions-here#post_2877154

1 person likes this.
  5. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

^
    just had that conversation with someone yesterday; APC is definitely on the verge of pricing themselves out of their niche as affordable raw denim (now made in Macau, not tunesia FYI) and another company is DEFINITELY going to eat their lunch soon. Who it will be is unclear; I'm not really a fan of naked and famous and from what i can see on 3sixteen site the fits seem off (though I think the model isn't helping).

that being said, i do love the fits and they look great on a range of types. they are the only jean that I can spot and identify from down the block. besides true religion, but that's for a whole different reason...

6. flyguy7

flyguy7 Senior member

I think there's a lot to be said for the cut of apc denim. Might be way off base, but I feel like I remember Heidi modeling the Dior 19s after being influenced by the new rescues. Regardless of where they're made I've always been happy with the quality.

But my real reason for posting is to note that sw&d is filled with threads about cheap denim now. If it doesn't change soon I may retire my brief stay here

7. Antonio07

Antonio07 Member

Thanks to everyone for their help! I would have posted in the I have a jean thread but i've asked a question before and got no answer so I thought it might be better to start a new thread. Does anyone know where in what stores I could find a pair of apcs so I could try them on, I live in Chicago so I can go to a wide range of places.

8. ice86x

ice86x Senior member

try Penelope's in the Ukranian Village

9. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I have few pairs of nudie and g-star. I would say nudie jeans are good . They have teh wide varity of fits. but would be over $100. try getting them on sale. Or cheap monday they are under $100.
    And be careful with RAW denim. They will bleed. My raw denim runied few white shoes, few light coloured shirt sleves , my car letaher seats and my gf's LV bag. Goodluck

10. lummers13

lummers13 Well-Known Member

What ice86x said, I picked up my pair there too.

And Haberdash, either the 607 N State St location or 1350 N Wells. They've got Edwins, 3Sixteen, Nudies and some other brands. They've often got sales going on. It wasn't uncommon that you could pick up a decent pair on sale for a little bit more $, or if you wanna scope out other brands after your first pair of raw. They're addictive. Too bad Chicago weather's scorching right now :(

Tell them Chris sent you and they'll help you, good luck with the search!

11. Bentech

Bentech Active Member

Naked and Famous. One of my favorite brands, starts at $120 new.

Look around in the classifieds, I just snagged a pair for $65.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  12. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Senior member

I know most people may not agree with me here, but for an "entry" pair of raw denim, Levis isn't too bad. I've seen raw selvedge on sale for under 100. Granted, it's not the *best*, for your first pair it won't hurt.

13. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

From my experience, none of the aforementioned brands (Unbranded/n&F, 3 sixteen, nudie) can beat APC's combination of quality, price and fit.

I've been wearing raw denim for 4 years now, and I came back and bought my 4th pair of APC's after going through Dior, Flathead and Imperial.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  14. Alfa159

Alfa159 Senior member

A.P.C. denim I say stopped being good value appox. two years ago. Now for around same price you can get much better denim.

read:

15. ConcernedParent

Oh yeah, when APC increased the price by $20, suddenly, overnight it became a poor value :sarcasm:.

16. Alfa159

Alfa159 Senior member

Hmm. I thought the price increase was more substantial...

17. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

If you just want cheap raw jeans get Levis STF. Then get them tapered if you don't like how they fit. $40.

18. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Senior member

Fit is subjective, obviously depending on one's body type. Quality on unbranded is pretty shit, but 3sixteen and n&f generally use much nicer denim than APC, and there are more options in terms of weight, slubbiness, weave, etc. Construction on n&f is slightly better, more so on 3sixteen (hidden rivets etc.). In fact, even unbranded has hidden rivets and coin pocket selvage. Overall, APC isn't worth it for 175 if you care about anything other than fit. Maybe you don't, but as I said, unless the APC fits work perfectly for you, pick up a pair of n&f deep indigos, indigos, or broken twills from tobi or revolve with a 15, 20, or 30% off code from retailmenot.

APC was never that great "value" to begin with, but at that point it was really the only option for raw selvedge in the sub-200 range. Now that the price has gone up, and now that there are so many other options, it doesn't seem like that great of a deal. I don't see why people still seem to recommend it as the be-all and end-all of "entry level" selvedge denim.

EDIT: the n&f left hand twills look pretty sweet
    http://blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB_Bridge3.dll?VBPROG=\bin\shop.prodt.detail&SKU=7991700

19. mattt

mattt Senior member

I've yet to see fits of any of the brands mentioned that fit as well as a pair of properly sized apc ps. They pretty much always look good and you can get them all day for 100 or less slightly used.

20. ConcernedParent

NF, 3sixteen, Nudies, all of these brands have been out for atleast a couple of years... The reason why people still recommend APC is hardly because of scarcity of options, but because as I have reiterated previously, it offers a very compelling combination of desirable characteristics.

Good construction on NF? Please lol. I haven't seen so many misfires on stitching from $100+ jeans . The only saving grace to NF is the fact that they are on sale constantly (and to some people, their collection of gimmick fabrics).

Those that are trying to get into raw denim tend to want something basic, with no-irrelevant frills and they hardly are the kind that care about things like hidden rivets, coin pocket selvage, slubby denim, etc... In fact in the case of the latter two, it can detract from desirability (it does for me because I think that stuff looks silly). The denim nerds amongst us who like that kind of shit are better suited to spend some serious coin and getting the real deal (Japanese repro's).