• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entertainers Networking Event: How should I dress?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an entertainment networking event for tomorrow night. I'm very excited about it because I think it could lead to some really solid gigs - but I have no idea what to wear.

Its being held from 5-7:30 at a relatively upscale restaurant. Does this call for a full suit and tie? Jacket and odd trousers? Tie no tie? I want to make an impression but not be inappropriately overdressed (or under dressed).

Might this even be a suitable setting for the infamous black suit?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Time to get out that Fakir costume. If that's not a possibility I'd wear a black suit, white fc dress shirt, black gala (shiny) tie and some well polished dress shoes, preferably with no caps or perforation (so a plaintoe).

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Time to get out that Fakir costume. If that's not a possibility I'd wear a black suit, white fc dress shirt, black gala (shiny) tie and some well polished dress shoes, preferably with no caps or perforation (so a plaintoe).

Perfect advice. You want to appear as successful as possible; also, you want to demonstrate that you know how to attire yourself for any upscale event you might be hired for.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Are you sure a black suit won't seem too formal at an even in suburban DC though?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a mid grey suit, something with texture. Since you indicated in some of your posts that you dress a bit more 'modern', then a slimmer fit grey. Add a white with blue check shirt and a solid dark blue tie. Dark brown or (a bit moar boring) black oxfords.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks T4phage. This is actually where I am leaning. I have a vintage grey Brooks Brothers suit I had tailored pretty slim. I'm thinking this with brown Santoni captoes, a skinny navy Dior tie and a white oxford.

I like the idea of a black suit, but worry I will be surrounded by shlubs in polo shirts and khakis.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your getup sounds quite good. You are the best judge of this particular situation, and since you probably have met some of these people, you many already have a feel for how they will be attired for that particular event. I really don't think that you should be dressed too conservatively, after all you are young. The combination you laid out seems right, classic yet trimmed down for a more modern touch. I still would prefer a white with blue check shirt though!
wink.gif

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
What kind of music are you playing? I can't imagine wearing a suit to a situation where it is either rock or country. Maybe if you play jazz, you could fit in.

Obviously, I only know my area of the country (I play keyboards and sing.) Maybe it's different there. In Michigan, if you wore a suit to that event, you would be rushing out to the car to hide your suit coat and tie at the first opportunity; you still would not fit in after that. (And that's not to say everyone would be in jeans.)

If you play music, you probably need some clothes that aren't businessy, but still can be nice. If you overdress, you could cost yourself some gigs; once you have achieved a certain level of competence, people play with people who can handle the musical requirements, but fit in socially and (have the right look, if possible.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads