• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments Spring/Summer 08

atomicranch

Reaction score
I couldn't resist all the Field Jacket Appreciation - just got a navy one delivered from Odin. It will be joining an olive Pathfinder and khaki Bedford in my closet. Robin and Timpoblete, y'all perform a valuable service for the forum, but my wallet is a lot lighter because of you.

The field jacket may be my favorite EG piece so far - the fit, the details are all spot on. Looks much better without the hood, IMHO. BTW, I agree with the previous poster about the sizing - it is a touch on the small side compared to most EG. (My Pathfinder is a large, though I probably should wear a medium, and my Bedford in a M).

Now, I think I'd better pay a visit to the "No buying for the rest of April club" thread before I do any more damage.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice pickup atomicranch! The blue field jacket may be my favorite outerwear piece for this season. Wish I could pick one up, but I'm holding on strong to my "no outerwear buys this season" vow. Although come tax return time, I might just fall off the wagon.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ian now has an online store set up, but their Engineered Garments inventory hasn't been added to it yet (they have lots of stuff to go through). I'll check on that next time I'm in this weekend.

Originally Posted by timpoblete
Wish I could pick one up, but I'm holding on strong to my "no outerwear buys this season" vow.
After seeing some of the things in F/W 08, I'm not buying anything until then.

atomicranch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I've been liking mine as well and I might pick up one in another color later. The only thing I dislike about it is that the fabric doesn't feel firm/secure enough around the snap buttons to keep it from ripping when using them - I've since tweaked the metal closure inside the buttons, and they're much easier to open and close now (I also did this with the mountain parka, which is made from the same fabric).

Robin, you were right about the fabric on the Pathfinder not being secure enough around the buttons- the fabric on one the pocket buttons ripped on mine yesterday. What exactly did you do to the buttons to make them easier to open?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atomicranch
Robin, you were right about the fabric on the Pathfinder not being secure enough around the buttons- the fabric on one the pocket buttons ripped on mine yesterday. What exactly did you do to the buttons to make them easier to open?
Ouch, hopefully the rip isn't that large. Patching it with another fabric might look cool though, along with maybe some contrast stitching. Here's a stock image I found of the typical snap button.
Ring-Snap-Button-Fastener.jpg
In the female snap portion in the lower right corner of that image, I stretched open the wire ring inside in the enclosure just a tiny bit using two precision screwdrivers. The wire ring is what holds the female button onto the male button (which is pictured in the lower left corner of the image) - it's also very malleable and takes very little force to bend it. I'll post some images of the process tonight, if I have time.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
FYI. I contacted Todd at EG this morning regarding your issue with the snap and torn pocket. He is the person who is responsible for these details and he is concerned about yours and others. The remedy that Robin has worked out seems to be the best resolution and I will work all the snaps in our inventory. I would suggest that others follow the same action.
Todd suggested that you send the jacket back to him and he will replace the pocket at no charge to you of course. I am sure that they will reimburse you for shipping costs.
If you have any questions about this, feel free to call me. 617-547-2067

Gary

Send to:

Engineered Garments
119 West 25th Street #10B
New York, NY 10001
Attention: Todd

atomicranch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
FYI. I contacted Todd at EG this morning regarding your issue with the snap and torn pocket. He is the person who is responsible for these details and he is concerned about yours and others. The remedy that Robin has worked out seems to be the best resolution and I will work all the snaps in our inventory. I would suggest that others follow the same action.
Todd suggested that you send the jacket back to him and he will replace the pocket at no charge to you of course. I am sure that they will reimburse you for shipping costs.

Gary - Thanks so much for facilitating this for me. I'll send the jacket in next week.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No problem, That's what I'm here for.

Gary

Gary - Thanks so much for facilitating this for me. I'll send the jacket in next week.

efujobu

Reaction score
Hey Gary!! I got my Pathfinder jacket yesterday like you said. If it only wasn't 92 degrees out. lol

It was a pleasure doing business with you sir!!

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm pleased that you are pleased! If only I could do something about the temp. Oh well, things could be worse. Call on me anytime!

Gary

QUOTE=efujobu;1007851]Hey Gary!! I got my Pathfinder jacket yesterday like you said. If it only wasn't 92 degrees out. lol

It was a pleasure doing business with you sir!![/quote]

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's a recent picture of Gary's Engineered Garments display in his store that he just sent me.

DSC01393.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice display Gary! What is that orange/red jacket that's hanging on the lower rack in the back and the dark shirts in the upper rack that's alternating with the floral camp shirts?
Heh, I asked him about it too, as I've been thinking about a jacket in that same color and the style is right up my alley. Here's what he sent back:

That jacket is made by Radley in China. The fabric content is 49% poly, 26%nylon, 17% cotton, 8% metal. The price is $195.00.
A lot of companies have been using fabrics with metal woven into them lately, and they end up giving clothing interesting textures that you wouldn't be able to replicate otherwise.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Radley is a Clothing and Outerwear manufacturer from Canada. They are best known in the Womens marketplace. We have been very pleased with the items that we have had from them. We recently received a French faced, 2 button, side vented, washed cotton Sport Jacket, in a tan/putty color.
David, the dark blue Denim jacket from EG is what you are seeing.

Gary

Any info on Radley? No luck on Google.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads