• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kmal

Reaction score
Right. You may have to act fast in case said retailer adjusts their prices to account for weaker currency.
but EG are not made in Canada. How does the collapsing CAD affect EG or other English shoes prices (in Canada, in CAD)? Meaning, if you are in Canada and paid XXXCAD for an EG pair 2 years ago, how much do you have to pay these days? If the same, who's eating up the difference? Does the factory have to sell at a lower price in GBP or does the retailer make much less in profits?
Changes in currency around the world can absolutely play to your benefit when shopping for EG shoes. Think about the the Dollar against the Pound. Say EG shoes are priced at 900 Pounds in the UK mkt with the Dollar at say 1.40/Pound. Should the Dollar move to 1.30/Pound it is unlikely that EG would raise prices to US customers purchasing from EG on Jermyne ST. This can also apply to EG shoes shipped to CA. The price for the shoes will not fluctuate with changes in FX (foreign exchange) once purchased by the retailer. So same concept - if a CA retailer is sitting on a pair of EG shoes and the US Dollar moves positively against the CA Dollar - a US customer would benefit in that the US Dollar can purchase more CA dollars making the shoe cheaper. You can also benefit from shopping in countries that have lower tariffs with the country in which the shoes are manufactured Vs your home country.

sforum1

Reaction score
Changes in currency around the world can absolutely play to your benefit when shopping for EG shoes. Think about the the Dollar against the Pound. Say EG shoes are priced at 900 Pounds in the UK mkt with the Dollar at say 1.40/Pound. Should the Dollar move to 1.30/Pound it is unlikely that EG would raise prices to US customers purchasing from EG on Jermyne ST. This can also apply to EG shoes shipped to CA. The price for the shoes will not fluctuate with changes in FX (foreign exchange) once purchased by the retailer. So same concept - if a CA retailer is sitting on a pair of EG shoes and the US Dollar moves positively against the CA Dollar - a US customer would benefit in that the US Dollar can purchase more CA dollars making the shoe cheaper. You can also benefit from shopping in countries that have lower tariffs with the country in which the shoes are manufactured Vs your home country.

see bolded above. This is a key assumption and a key requirement for all this to happen. If exchange rates have been favorable for prolonged periods, then retailers are no longer 'sitting on old stock'.

Kmal

Reaction score
see bolded above. This is a key assumption and a key requirement for all this to happen. If exchange rates have been favorable for prolonged periods, then retailers are no longer 'sitting on old stock'.
Not necessarily - EG sets prices for extended periods to its various retailers around the world. They tend to honor the pricing outside of drastic movements in their own costs. This allows the consumer to shop the world of FX and Tarrifs to their advantage. I often save circa $200 after taxes, shipping, etc on current EG offerings. I shop EU, UK, Swedish, CA, and US based retailers. This is why Boeing, Nissan, Marriott and others who conduct business on a cross-border basis report earnings/revenues subject to the impact from changes in FX. Shop around - the retail world is not nearly as efficient as are the FX markets.

mcobinad

Reaction score
Dear gents,

I am hoping through this post to garner some thoughts in my quest for appropriate shoes for black tie event. I have an upcoming (end of year) corporate black tie and was experimenting with the idea of wearing a pump black patent with a two-tone tuxedo. Initially, I was going to settle for the EG propositions as I love the aesthetics and in my assessment find them to be well made.

The slight drawback and one which I find myself grappling with is its pronounced round toe, curves around the waistline with the embellishment of top bow tie with satin finish (very Margaret Thatcher-ish), all heavily on the effeminate side to be more precise. However, by virtue of the design remains appropriate and versatile pair for a black tie context. That said, I still find myself wanting.

Recently, I discovered one from C&J, sleek featured toe with a contemporary element of finesse to it and totally different to its EG counterpart proposition. I must admit liking it but would have preferred to have the option of velour (suede) featured bow tie in lieu of satin variant. That said, I went ahead and purchased both models from EG and C&J. Today, I find myself in a total state of quandary and not knowing which of the two to keep/return/wear to the occasion.

When worn, both add a touch of grace and distinctiveness to my ensemble with C&J adding that extra bit of allure and finesse, thanks to its less rounded toe and flat satin bow tie. The overall output is less effeminate and has earned my validation yet there is something about EG that leaves me desiring.

So gents, if you were in the market, which of the two would you gravitate towards, wear to a formal luncheon and why? Please feel free to share your thoughts/experiences. I have attached images for your visual perception.

Best

Fabio Attanasio look inspiration

MGitlis

Reaction score
Hi! Question for you connoisseurs: if you order a MTO pair of Galway boots, can you request a narrower shaft? I normally wear UK size 6.5 or 7, and I prefer a sleek looking boot, so I get concerned that a wide shaft could ruin the aesthetics/proportion.
Different league, I know, but my Meermin balmoral boots fit nice and snug in the shaft, and a MTO Carmina Balmoral boots (more than 2x the price) fits pretty loose.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer the CJ version. Something about the EG looks a bit feminine in this case. I am sure Crocketts are at least 50% cheaper as well, if that's an argument at all ..

Kmal

Reaction score
Hi! Question for you connoisseurs: if you order a MTO pair of Galway boots, can you request a narrower shaft? I normally wear UK size 6.5 or 7, and I prefer a sleek looking boot, so I get concerned that a wide shaft could ruin the aesthetics/proportion.
Different league, I know, but my Meermin balmoral boots fit nice and snug in the shaft, and a MTO Carmina Balmoral boots (more than 2x the price) fits pretty loose.
I have found EG fairly accommodating of my requests. I have had boots relasted to a smaller size and other work done to better fit my foot. A smaller shaft would require a different pattern cut which they could do if they wish. I would ask their Jermyn Street sales staff or work through Leffot or your favorite EG specialty retailer who handles MTO.

AriG

Reaction score
View attachment 1092398

I prefer this burgundy to cordovan #8 by a pretty large margin. I'm rethinking my plans to get Hoves in dark oak, and getting them in burgundy instead.
Stunning. What size did you find? Need some peace of mind I didn't miss out :D

Also how would you say 888 compares to 82 in terms of it? I believe they should be very similar as the base is the same except toe shape. But since you mention you find it to fit slightly better. Any differences apart from the toe area? I own 888 which fits me very well though instep on the low end ... looking to expand to 82

Thanks!

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Borrowdale In Chestnut Utah ... Somebody’s got to work Christmas after all [emoji319][emoji320]

IMG_3564.JPG
IMG_3565.JPG
IMG_3566.JPG

krakatoa

Reaction score
My recent experience attempting to place an international order directly with EG for shipment to HK: "So we do not under cut our stockists in Hong Kong, we do not ship the goods excluding VAT to that area."

WilYa

Reaction score
My recent experience attempting to place an international order directly with EG for shipment to HK: "So we do not under cut our stockists in Hong Kong, we do not ship the goods excluding VAT to that area."
Same applies to US/EU price.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shall drop into the London shop to see. Too late for this winter, but there are others. Then to choose a model...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads