• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sforum1

Reaction score
I wear the same size in each. I know the SF folks prefer to size up 1/2, but on the few pairs that I have done so, they are really a slight bit too big (as @sforum1 points out above). The vast majority of my now extesive EG collection I have started off with a shoe that is slightly snug and then break it in. YMMV.
You know I was about to send in another order today and after this question came up, and thought about it some more, it gave me a pause. I think I will go with the smaller size actually (meaning the same as JL) because lately, I started preferring wearing super-fine wool socks with which the 1/2-size-bigger shoes are a little loose. A loose-fitting shoe is not a good thing.

I think you have to take into consideration the type of socks you will be wearing with the specific pair, especially when you fall between half sizes.

sforum1

Reaction score
How old are your JL and EG or much much did you wear each? It seems that Chelsea has far fewer creases than JL.
This Chelsea in the pic I got it right before the pandemic and never got to wear it, and very much hope I will one day. Since then I've only been buying shoes, but did not wear any. The JL I wore it something like 10-15 times.

dench127

Reaction score
How old are your JL and EG or much much did you wear each? It seems that Chelsea has far fewer creases than JL.
Tangentially related, I love how my EG's crease. It's always predictably tight and uniform. It's what keeps me coming back to them and what to me allows me to justify paying the premium for over C&J

puffy

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. I'll go with my usual UK 8.5E. I did try on the EG 9E which felt great, almost as if broken in. I assume that's what the 8.5E will feel like after a few wears.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlined Tobacco Suede Dovers ..

D0DA6821-05FD-4D92-8DEF-3EF53C9D4A78.jpeg
054E089C-07C6-4C8C-972C-249B50B2C17B.jpeg
350DC84A-E32A-43E7-98D3-DA7FA1C94045.jpeg
05F68FEB-A7B5-48C9-BA67-B6620B3FCBA9.jpeg
39931354-039F-40F4-8655-2E14E85FA967.jpeg

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another option for shoe trees is Seamless Bespoke and they're having a 20% sale for pre-order of shoe trees. While they have lasted trees for EB, they also offer a generic shoe trees that looks pretty good. Only issue is they won't be delivered till end of August.

Their summer trousers are awesome!!

Shaunm88

Reaction score
Where is everyone buy EG these days online? Cavour hasn’t stocked up in a while

Given where I live there is no local retailer besides a monopoly and has significant surcharge, that they are still dearer than buying from EG direct, paying the VAT tax and also paying the Australian local tax and 40 pound shipping to give you an idea.

Looking at the following all in 8UK
Dover in Dark Oak
Dover in Mink Suede
Picadilly In chestnut or similiar
or some other styles.

Open to some second hand options to if you have any

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given where I live there is no local retailer besides a monopoly and has significant surcharge, that they are still dearer than buying from EG direct, paying the VAT tax and also paying the Australian local tax and 40 pound shipping to give you an idea.

Dover in Dark Oak
Dover in Mink Suede
or some other styles.

second this... was going to snag something from cavour but someone got it before me.

anyoen have a 6.5 E UK Chelsea in black? I'll take 82 or 202 last. maybe 915...

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dover in Dark Oak
Dover in Mink Suede
or some other styles.

Well i’m selling a pair of brand new DOAK chelseas at a reasonable price in UK8 if ur interested

puffy

Reaction score

Dover in Dark Oak
Dover in Mink Suede
or some other styles.

You in Oz mate?

I know customs will slap you with 5% import duty + 10% GST. But what about DHL or FedEx handling/clearing fees on top?

I'm after some UK 8.5E in 82 action.

Shaunm88

Reaction score
You in Oz mate?

I know customs will slap you with 5% import duty + 10% GST. But what about DHL or FedEx handling/clearing fees on top?

I'm after some UK 8.5E in 82 action.

I am. Ive ordered many items from overseas at north of 1k aud. 5% import duty then 10% on purchase price plus import duty plus approx 50-100 for DHL or fed ex charges

Still ways to get cheaper than buying in aus and depends where you buy from

puffy

Reaction score
One other question on sizing, in the 82, 202 and 606 do people stick to the same size?

Or go up or down? It says the 202 is for wider feet... so wonder if I should size down 1/2.

puffy

Reaction score
I am. Ive ordered many items from overseas at north of 1k aud. 5% import duty then 10% on purchase price plus import duty plus approx 50-100 for DHL or fed ex charges

Still ways to get cheaper than buying in aus and depends where you buy from
That's it. The EG stockist here doesnt have much and what they have is pretty dear.

Ever had customs not invoice you? I've had a few slip through...

Shaunm88

Reaction score
One other question on sizing, in the 82, 202 and 606 do people stick to the same size?

Or go up or down? It says the 202 is for wider feet... so wonder if I should size down 1/2.

I think people forget to mention around do you fit slightly large or small in what last. The 82 is a little tight on me. Therefore the slightly wider ones or 606 fit fine. If the 82 you were tempted to try a size down then perhaps it makes a difference

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads