• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The William is very nice Sir, i have had both but I prefer the EG as I found the EG a bit more pleasant and refined but of course this is only IMHO.
I found the last on the William a bit causal and after a few months my feet were swimming in them! maybe i need to take half a size smaller.
Anyway both a nice shoes.

I think you have a point about the William. However John Lobb has other monks and I think some of those are a bit more refined.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Burgundy/ Berry suede

love this very much

steveabdn

Reaction score

Chestnut is nice, but I think my vote goes to the olive also.

Olive is my favourite from the two but there's not much in it. I think what really sways it for me is I struggle to imagine olive looking so good on any other Edward Green offering but the chestnut would look good on a multitude of styles.

Plan sorted, olive Galways in the next 2 months (dainite sole for function I think) and chestnut something or other later in the year

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. Between those two, the olive makes my heart go pitter patter. Rich and distinctive. The chestnut is really nice, too - but tan boots in general are something you see more often - and for me, they would be too light in shade to pair with navy.

Gianni - thank you kindly!
But I have to thank you for wanting to show wonderful products ...

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My favourite EGs Westminister, Dover and Oundle.

Edward Green rarely fails to impress me with its finishing...but that front piece seam is crooked on these monks. A bit of something to remind us of the handmade Ethos behind EG.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edward Green rarely fails to impress me with its finishing...but that front piece seam is crooked on these monks. A bit of something to remind us of the handmade Ethos behind EG.

I went and had a look at the shoes after you mentioned this, it's does look pretty straight when you look down from the top to me may be it's the camera angle playing tricks.

The handmade ethos are definitely there I find even shoes on the same last and size can feel a little different in fit.

Anyhow the Westminister are 10 years old and have been well worn including battle scars from wearing it to building sites as you can see from the toe caps.

Reaction score
Galways aren't true cap toes? Stitching is purely decorative? Declasse, no? Changes everything for me.

Last edited:

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Galways aren't true cap toes? Stitching is purely decorative? Declasse, no? Changes everything for me.

Dear Sir, hope you don't mind me asking what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a true cap toe? I love the Galway boots and for me it is one of the best looking boots in the world! what difference does it make to having a true toe cap if you can please enlighten?

Last edited:

CTBrummie

Reaction score

You can see quite clearly that they're stitched, can't you?

One key feature of veldt boots (like the original Galway) is a minimal amount of seams on the boots to further reinforce their water resistance - hence the reason most of them are actually whole-cut derby boots. The mock toe is just decorative, and is common to veldt boots although C&J dropped it for their Snowdown model.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One key feature of veldt boots (like the original Galway) is a minimal amount of seams on the boots to further reinforce their water resistance - hence the reason most of them are actually whole-cut derby boots. The mock toe is just decorative, and is common to veldt boots although C&J dropped it for their Snowdown model.

When I researched veldtschoens for an article, this is the feature that was mentioned several times over. The less seams, the smaller the chance of moisture leaking inside.

tchoy, I meant the single monks. The double ones look fine and dandy. The tiny creases on bending points on the uppers show that EG does use excellent leather. So many pairs are ruined by deep or prominent creasing.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
When I researched veldtschoens for an article, this is the feature that was mentioned several times over. The less seams, the smaller the chance of moisture leaking inside.
Less seams, waxy leather, bellows tongue (or half-bellows, these days) and a double upper are the common features of a veldt shoe and boot.

The original veldt boots, brought out by Lotus during the Great War, actually looked different to the more 'classic' design known to us today.

Then becoming the model I posted a few days ago

And then the style shown by this old predecessor of the Galway (in zug) on EG's now defunct 25 last

Eventually becoming our flavour-of-the-month Galway (these ones made for Holland & Holland)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NervesAidHealth